Bright spot: the running backs

Success

3 minutes ago, ColoradoBills said:

I only seen a tight tv screen (even on the replay) but it seems Devin missed a block that caused JAs "fumble" on the Bills 10.

Yeah, Dawkins got beat and Motor was late to help; although that is not his primary responsibility there so I can't give him too much grief on that play.

1 minute ago, Simon said:

Yeah, Dawkins got beat and Motor was late to help; although that is not his primary responsibility there so I can't give him too much grief on that play.

It's just one play.  I'm guessing that when fans ask why Moss is in more than they think he should, this could be a reason.

Let me add I'm not unduly criticizing Devin, I'm just adding to what the RB responsibilities are.

Who starts these topics? Some one looking to aggravate after a tough loss. The Bills running game (Without Allen's numbers) is next to last in the NFL. Look at NFL Savant stats. It couldn't be worse. And it's killing the Bills. It's nice that Singletary catches some passes, but that does nothing to help the Bills when they need to give the O-Line a break once and a while (Like today). Or use the clock, or keep opposing D-Lines from just teeing off on Josh. Bills don't get a running game soon, they are in trouble. Jut listen to McDermott after today's game. I'll believe the coach over posters. Motor's back to where he was this time last year running the ball.. Only he's worse.     

I love this team, and don’t like being negative realizing this is our glory days. However, I’m not a huge fan of these backs. Cook’s potential is the lone bright spot. Moss had a nice long run, but even his best plays are frustrating. Replace Moss with someone like Edwards-Helaire in KC, and you have a much bigger gain. An offense like this needs a game breaker in the backfield, neither Moss or Singletary fit the bill.  

• Like (+1) 1

38 minutes ago, Success said:

Singletary is just so consistently good.  100% effort on every play - big runs, and nice catches that he turns into good gains.

Moss was being pretty maligned - but he had a GREAT run in the 2nd half, and then a pretty big 3rd down conversion.

Cook looked great, both running & catching passes.  Today was the guy I expected when we drafted him.

It would be good if we could get more of a running game actually going, consistently.  I think we have the talent to do it.  A lot will come down to the blocking schemes, but I thought all 3 guys gave a great effort today and showed some skills.

Good points , but you are cherry picking a little. Motor avg under 2 yards a carry.  He was good in catching passes but his yac is not very good.  Moss had two good plays over three games basically. Cook has potential , as a receiver, and his run game is yet to be determined. I don’t blame the backs.  It’s three years now without an effective run game you can DEPEND ON in the red zone and short yardage situations. It results in all the pressure being on Josh and in the red zone the passing windows tighten and in critical , one posession games , other than the KC game, it has resulted in game losing mistakes. 

Until the Bills stop the rb by committee thing with guys getting less than 10 touches a game , I think we will keep seeing losses in one possession games.  Even analysts like Jason Garrett said today the Bills are relying too much on Josh ; 90 offensive plays and losing is unheard of.  When will this staff learn they need to do more to help these backs succeed?  I agree with you that they prob have enough raw talent to be ok , but right now there is no possible way you can honestly say you can depend on this run game in critical situations. That also affects the passing game as it hurts play action.  If you have to depend on blowouts to win , it’s unlikely you will win a Lombardi because most games in the NFL are not blowouts. .

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, Ross Murdock said:

Who starts these topics? Some one looking to aggravate after a tough loss. The Bills running game (Without Allen's numbers) is next to last in the NFL. Look at NFL Savant stats. It couldn't be worse. And it's killing the Bills. It's nice that Singletary catches some passes, but that does nothing to help the Bills when they need to give the O-Line a break once and a while (Like today). Or use the clock, or keep opposing D-Lines from just teeing off on Josh. Bills don't get a running game soon, they are in trouble. Jut listen to McDermott after today's game. I'll believe the coach over posters. Motor's back to where he was this time last year running the ball.. Only he's worse.     

Ummmm....lets look at time of possession please...agree it wasn't due to the running game but the possession time was strongly in the Bills favor.

2 hours ago, SCBills said:

James Cook looked like a weapon.  

The other two are just JAG running backs. 

Should acknowledge though.. Moss had the big run and made a big time conversion when he was dead to rights. 

The problem with Cook is that he's too light in the arse to pass protect. Nor does he have the power to move a pile. 

3 hours ago, Success said:

Singletary is just so consistently good.  100% effort on every play - big runs, and nice catches that he turns into good gains.

Moss was being pretty maligned - but he had a GREAT run in the 2nd half, and then a pretty big 3rd down conversion.

Cook looked great, both running & catching passes.  Today was the guy I expected when we drafted him.

It would be good if we could get more of a running game actually going, consistently.  I think we have the talent to do it.  A lot will come down to the blocking schemes, but I thought all 3 guys gave a great effort today and showed some skills.

This is sarcasm right?

Had 500 yards of offense AND 41 minutes of possession time. Had nothing to do with the running game. JA fumble, Bass FG miss, JA missed 5 yard and out on 4th down, 3rd string center (cost us points and the end of each half). Any of those plays go different, we win. Where was Crowder to help in the 2nd half? 

This game had zero issues with the running game, none. If you can have 500 yards and 41 possession minutes there is not a single game that should be lost. 

• Disagree 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.