Poor coaching by McDermott is becoming a theme

Einstein

The better comparison is Dungy. He couldn't get the job done in Tampa with 2 HOF players on defense. 

Colts and Manning won the SuperBowl despite Dungy. Dungy was awful in the playoffs. I'm pretty sure I have the correct season. Manning had to waive the punt team off the field or they lose in the playoffs during their SupwrBowl run.

Allen will win a SB in Buffalo despite McDermott not because of him.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Eyeroll 1

1 minute ago, DCofNC said:

The Fox comparison is perfect.  I’ve been saying the same thing without the direct comparison,  McClappy got them out of the doldrums, but his God Awful game day decisions already cost us the game forever knows as :13.  They cost the game yesterday too.  He’s a pathetically conservative coach.  Hopefully Beane sees it in one to get that ring before McD wastes this roster completely.   

I disagree. Those of you who think you can just order up somebody who is going to be an improvement on McD are fools. The things he has done to make this a unified team, to get the best performances out of a large roster of individuals, to cause them to play for each other and the team instead of focusing on individual achievements, to prepare properly for games, to manage the vast variety of different personalities, to get them all pointed in the same direction--these are not insignificant traits.

Every coach that ever existed can be cited for decisions they made in the heat of a game that did not work. I could give you many decisions by Bill Belichick that can be seen as costing them games over his career. 

Anybody who has experienced the roster of lousy coaches the Bills have had over their history ought to know better than kick McD to the curb. I say this as somebody who was vastly skeptical of his hiring; I had to be convinced, and I am convinced. 

PS: He is NOT a conservative coach--unless you define conservative as someone who does not automatically go for it on every fourth down. We haver seen him take big chances repeatedly in tough game situations over the last few years. 

• Like (+1) 3

46 minutes ago, Einstein said:

About half way into the video Mike Florio begins to voice his concern that McDermott may not be the right person to get the Bills over the hump.

He compares the situation to John Fox in Denver. Fox was good in Denver. He went 38-10 in his last three seasons.

But it took Fox being fired (after a 12-4 season) and Kubiak being hired for the Broncos to land a Lombardi trophy with that loaded roster.

https://www.nbcsports.com/video/mike-florio-buffalo-bills-received-rude-awakening-against-miami-dolphins?ls=pftvod

To be fair… Florio isn’t the only one who has made this comparison.  I don’t necessarily agree with the narrative but until they start winning close games, it’s going to be there.  And it sucks.  

With that being said, there is maybe a 99.5% chance that McDermott is the Bills HC next year and beyond.  

The situation in Denver was very different in a lot of ways - still it was a ballsy call by Elway to get rid of Fox.  Beane doesn’t have that power and Terry has such admiration for Sean he wouldn’t fire him unless the team became a train wreck.  

In all honesty, he’s done an outstanding job building resurrecting this franchise and building a team.  

But the bottom line is, Buffalo needs to close out these football games or these narratives will hang around 

• Like (+1) 1

48 minutes ago, LabattBlue said:

Moot point.  McD and Beane are going nowhere.  Not this year, next or many years to come. 

THIIS  👍.  I'll say it again, read the knowledge that our fellow Buffalo fan LabattBlue has shared with you.  Eloquently and to the point. I understand the similarities the OP ( or the article) was trying to make but McBean are safe not going anywhere any time soon

13 minutes ago, Ethan in Cleveland said:

The better comparison is Dungy. He couldn't get the job done in Tampa with 2 HOF players on defense. 

Colts and Manning won the SuperBowl despite Dungy. Dungy was awful in the playoffs. I'm pretty sure I have the correct season. Manning had to waive the punt team off the field or they lose in the playoffs during their SupwrBowl run.

Allen will win a SB in Buffalo despite McDermott not because of him.

I've had that comparison for a while. Mcd has show to be ok with the aggression on 4th downs which give me some help. But man last year we had some weird losses that were head scratchers. 

22 minutes ago, DCofNC said:

The Fox comparison is perfect.  I’ve been saying the same thing without the direct comparison,  McClappy got them out of the doldrums, but his God Awful game day decisions already cost us the game forever knows as :13.  They cost the game yesterday too.  He’s a pathetically conservative coach.  Hopefully Beane sees it in one to get that ring before McD wastes this roster completely.   

He's really, really not, though.

The Bills are exceedingly aggressive both in offensive approach and in 4th down go-for-it frequency. They also typically continue to pile up points when they have big leads rather than becoming conservative on offense, hence the 20 straight double digit wins. None of these are traits of overly "conservative" coaches. 

If people want to say that they don't think McDermott is the guy for various reasons -- game management, for instance -- then so be it. But he's really NOT conservative, let alone "pathetically" conservative. That's just an unreasonable and unfounded take.

Edited by Logic
  • Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

56 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Question...Did John Fox open the season demolishing the defending champs and then the AFC number 1 seed in back to back weeks...so much so, we had start benching starters in the 3rd Quarter?

Did he follow that game up with having to go on the road on a short week missing half of his defensive starters and starting OC just to lose 5 more guys who started that game and several backups, including 5 OL?  While also playing in extreme heat with no relief and seeing not injuried starters have to keep coming out of the game for fluids and cramping?  

If not...then everyone needs to pipe down.  McD and Beane were the toast of the NFL a week ago, then in an extreme situation game some breaks didn't go our way.  Is it McD's fault Van Roten botched a snap at end of half costing us a FG attempt?  Is it McD's fault Bass shanked a gimme FG?  Is it McD's fault Milano dropped a pick 6?  Is it McD's fault McKenzie didn't run straight out of bounds giving us enough time for one more play for yards on the sideline at end of game?  Is it McD's fault the 2nd and 3rd string OL while having been on the field almost an entire quarter with no one to sub in, no shade, no breaks was gassed down the stretch?  

I mean we took NINETY THREE offensive plays compared to their 39 and dominated the time of possession.  And there is a thread today about whether or not our Defensive coach needs to be fired for someone who knows offense?  

How about we just need to get healthy and we have the best team and roster in the NFL?

Actually I think they did play the season opener against the SB champion Ravens and Manning threw 7 TD passes 😅

Then I think they lost to the #1 seed Pats a few weeks later. The game was pretty close.

At some point you will reach an Andy Reid (in Philadelphia) tipping point where you have a coach getting a team to the playoffs consistently and making runs but never getting over the hump and there comes a point where the team has to move on from a successful coach.

That being said I don’t think McD is anywhere near that point. Maybe if the Bills take losses in the playoffs in 2022 and 2023 you can start that question but it is far too soon. It’s a week 3 loss away with a banged up team nothing to panic over.

It's the same thing they said about Andy Reid: can't win the big one. I loved Madden's commentary about that: tell me which ones are the "small ones." 

Now that Reid has a ring, there is no better example of this than the unfair criticism of Marty Shottenheimer. 

The year is 2006. The Chargers are 14-2. It's the Divisional round of the AFC playoffs. Marty Shottenheimer, the coach who "couldn't win the big games" had the perfect game plan to stop the Patriots machine led by Brady and Belichick. There's even film of him telling the player who won the game for SD before fumbling not to go running around when he gets the game winning INT and to just get down. 

So what happens? In a cruel twist of fate THAT SAME PLAYER intercepts Brady at the end and the game is OVER! Chargers win and they are going to face Indianapolis in the AFC Title Game, at home! 

Except no. He does exactly what coach warned him about and FUMBLES BACK TO NE instead of simply hitting the turf. NE, given another shot (sound familiar to anyone?) goes on to win, and Marty "can't win the big ones" and is fired shortly after the game with a 14-2 record that season and never coaches again. 

Marty was also the coach who LOVED Brees and thought he was a top QB in the making and wanted to keep him. 

In other words, he was RIGHT about Brees, had the perfect game plan to defeat NE, won 14 games that year, got the #1 seed, even foresaw the need to tell his DB to just go down when he got the pick (showing how detail oriented he was) and yet it's COACHING that cost SD. So he was fired after that game!

Marty, the guy who is 7th all-time in NFL wins by a head coach with 200, somehow wasn't good enough. BTW, the active coaches ahead of him are Reid (234 wins) and Belichick (291). Behind him are Tomlin (155) and Carroll (152). 

Think about how dumb that sounds. 

Apparently those 200 wins don't count. No "big games" in there. 

Football is a cruel game at times, and the single elimination format means that any one mistake can end your season. 

• Like (+1) 3

Its good people even talk about this. It means the Bills are relevant. More than just that, people see them as a super bowl champion caliber team. 

The issue with McD is the glaring stats and some odd games. Until he wins a super bowl he will never escape the 13 second meltdown. Add in games like this MIA one and the NE game last year that a team has no business losing. The record in close games. The challenge failure rate. 

That will get you a spotlight from the media.

Rather than saying McD should be fired - ask your self this question. Pick a few coaching names - would the Bills be better or worse with them? With this talent there are a ton of coaches that could win with this roster. Maybe some would be better, maybe not? 

How about this? All of the dim wits that think McD is even making his “ game day decisions” by himself, raise your hands. He’s literally got a team of people in his ear for every type of situation that may arise whether it be a challenge, a 4th down decision, a clock management decision, and more. The Bills have one if I not the largest employee representation in their analytics department in the league.

Does he still make the final call and does he go with his gut sometimes? Absolutely. But man o man people learn about how your own supposed favorite team operates before stuffing an agenda down everyone’s throat.

How many times are you gonna start this thread @Einstein?

We get the message. You'd fire McDermott because he is cautious with injuries, takes time outs when you wouldn't and Mike Florio says so. 

Next time you come up with a new reason why not add it to one of your existing threads?

Edited by GunnerBill
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 2
  • Dislike 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.