Poor coaching by McDermott is becoming a theme

Einstein

21 minutes ago, billsfan1959 said:

@Bangarang you are correct

Davis caught that ball cleanly. It wasn't contested at the catch point.

1604900594_Davis01.thumb.jpg.6d0c3faf1f8b83c478f33053e82c19d7.jpg

Tucked it away

444739889_Davis02.jpg.b627c24d484c53d256dd9f0293cec8ba.jpg

The defender got his hand on the ball

685256488_Davis03.thumb.jpg.f77124b00869625bfa905a4d7d1e86a7.jpg

And then on Davis' hand

1786299746_Davis04.thumb.jpg.9f08aae0adf38f0cdc022c8b2c486b75.jpg

And caused the ball to come out

1731960383_Davis05.thumb.jpg.870cf12a1b73f3f6c37883c174f5de4c.jpg

It was a good defensive play

In hindsight he should have kept ball above his head, touched both feet inbounds then should have stepped out of bounds. The moment he touches the sideline he is out of bounds with possession.

3 minutes ago, Captain_Quint said:

Yeah, it looked like a MASH unit on the sidelines. People stretching all game, coming out for injuries and fatigue after every play it seemed like. 

Eric Wood said on the radio that Allen was looking for a WR that wasn't at complete exhaustion.  That was Morris and threw it to him.

1 minute ago, Dr.Sack said:

In hindsight he should have kept ball above his head, touched both feet inbounds then should have stepped out of bounds. The moment he touches the sideline he is out of bounds with possession.

I'm certainly not going to fault him for tucking the ball away. It was a good defensive play. It happens.

I want to see a Bills record broken- ASAP! The winning by double digits streak. Because the OPPOSITE side of the paradigm is this- you choke in the tight games, where end game decisions, TO usage, even challenges are critical. 

I like McDermott and the culture he has installed. And obviously love the SB bound team Bean Boy has assembled.

“When this team is rolling, I like their chances.  If they are in a dogfight, and making mistakes along the way, I don't like their chances at all.”

BUT, THIS! ^^^^^^^^^^

On the basis of the evidence, I don’t trust McDs capabilities in these situations. As people have pointed out, his TO mgt. is poor and his challenge Mgt. is horrendous! 

Worse, what does he IMPART during those TOs? I will NEVER forgive him for ‘13 Seconds’! Cost the Bills their first SB- imho. Because, during those TO situations, he did NOT bang heads before the kickoff PLUS when the D took the field to design exact coverage and interference of the Chief’s only 2 players!

Yesterday, the superior team FUBARed it away. Through, terrible time management, poor decision making, errors, the idiot Kicker- whatever. 

Losing doesn’t discourage me at all. Playing stupid and/or making stupider decisions, really does.

Get it cleaned up, McD.

0-7 is a terrible record in close games. It means you’ve never been up to the task.

1 minute ago, Billsatlastin2018 said:

I want to see a Bills record broken- ASAP! The winning by double digits streak. Because the OPPOSITE side of the paradigm is this- you choke in the tight games, where end game decisions, TO usage, even challenges are critical. 

I like McDermott and the culture he has installed. And obviously love the SB bound team Bean Boy has assembled.

“When this team is rolling, I like their chances.  If they are in a dogfight, and making mistakes along the way, I don't like their chances at all.”

BUT, THIS! ^^^^^^^^^^

On the basis of the evidence, I don’t trust McDs capabilities in these situations. As people have pointed out, his TO mgt. is poor and his challenge Mgt. is horrendous! 

Worse, what does he IMPART during those TOs? I will NEVER forgive him for ‘13 Seconds’! Cost the Bills their first SB- imho. Because, during those TO situations, he did NOT bang heads before the kickoff PLUS when the D took the field to design exact coverage and interference of the Chief’s only 2 players!

Yesterday, the superior team FUBARed it away. Through, terrible time management, poor decision making, errors, the idiot Kicker- whatever. 

Losing doesn’t discourage me at all. Playing stupid and/or making stupider decisions, really does.

Get it cleaned up, McD.

0-7 is a terrible record in close games. It means you’ve never been up to the task.

2020 was full of 4th quarter comebacks and close wins. Same coaching staff.

• Like (+1) 2

3 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

Beane has built a talented roster, no doubt. But I think the continued issues on the offensive line are absolutely a Beane thing. In 4 of our last 7 defeats the offense has had the ball at the end in Josh Allen's hands with a chance to win the game - Tennessee, Jacksonville, New England and yesterday (you could even add Tampa in there as a touchdown on that final drive instead of a FG wins us the game) - and we haven't got it done on any of those occasions.

• In Tennessee the offensive line got blown up on the sneak;
  • In Jacksonville Allen was under duress the entire drive and sacked on the final 3rd down knocking us out of FG range;
  • Against the Pats we turned 1st and 10 at the NE 13 into 3rd and 14 with a false start and then Allen was harassed on both 3rd and 4th down causing incompletions;
  • Yesterday Allen was under duress that entire drive and then Quessenberry took a holding penalty that knocked us out of FG range. 

In the NFL there are going to be close games. It is the nature of parity. The Bills have an exceptional record of blowing teams out but when you have Josh Allen and in a close game he has the ball last that, frankly, is all you can wish for. That we haven't got it done on so many occasions (only the Colts and the Chiefs playoff game of our last 7 losses as the offense not had a chance at the end of the game to win it for us) is a real outlier for a team with an elite QB. And I'm afraid the pattern there is very clear. With all the chips in the middle of the table in those end of game situations we suffer protection breakdown after protection breakdown. 

You can put that on coaching if you like. But two OCs, two OL coaches... repeating pattern. The blocking ain't up to snuff. 

Almost every single team on 3rd and 22 with an inexperienced secondary is playing coverage. Okay, it didn't work, Jaquan got burned. I get it. But Leslie Frazier did an excellent job with the pieces he had yesterday. He put his young players in position to make the most of what they had. They give up one play and everyone goes mad about the playcall. 

And the reason Leslie Frazier is not a true consideration for a head coach job is because he has had his shot, is in his 60s and is a defensive guy when the league is going to offense. I wouldn't hire him as a HC either. But as a DC? He is one of the best in the business. 

I think Frazier is a great DC too but I didnt like that call either.  Sure you can say they broke down and it was down to execution but this team seems to give up 3rd and forevers pretty often.  The Bills were stopping them most of the day.  Why change what they are doing?  Give a QB all day to throw and eventually he is going to find someone to throw to.  Those receivers are too good to not get open like that.  I dont care how many people are in coverage.  They needed to get pressure on Tua there and make him throw short of the sticks and then make the tackle.  Thats my opinion on it.

Other than that play though I think they did an amazing job with what was basically a preseason roster back there and on part of the line too.

Edited by Scott7975

11 minutes ago, Billsatlastin2018 said:

BUT, THIS! ^^^^^^^^^^

Get it cleaned up, McD.

You want to win games by less points? Lol insane take.  Well let’s go through what you are blaming coaching for..I saw a lot of bad execution on a handful of plays where we only needed one of those plays to hit to win the game.

Based on Ken Dorsey going full hulk on the coaching booth I’m gonna say McKenzie was not coached to stay in bounds there lol it was a busted play to begin with though because our offensive line was absolute garbage due to injuries.  Not to mention the drive was on schedule time management wise until the holding call. 

I see people talking about how we should’ve challenged the gabe drop…there’s no chance we win that.  McD would’ve been flamed even harder for wasting a timeout there 

The main thing I see that can be criticized is the 3rd and 22 and that’s a classic case of hindsight is 20/20.  We could’ve sent more pass rushers but there’s no guarantee they would’ve gotten home. 

Edited by Generic_Bills_Fan

2 minutes ago, FrenchConnection said:

2020 was full of 4th quarter comebacks and close wins. Same coaching staff.

One thing you learn from reading this forum is that a lot of fans don't realize how short an NFL season is.  17 games (plus playoffs) is a really small sample size, especially when you consider that some events, like defending third and super-long or playing a tight one-score game, only happen a handful of times per year.  When sample sizes are that small, it's a near certainty that you'll be able to find weird numbers that look worrisome but are really just statistical noise.

It's weird that we've lost such a large number of close games, but that's just luck.  Bass misses a short FG, Allen misses a gimmie TD, McKenzie can't quite get out of bounds.  None of those have the slightest thing to do with coaching and we probably only needed one to go the other way to get the win.  Tells us nothing about how similar games would play out in the future.

8 minutes ago, Einstein said:

Do you go about life mocking everyone who disagrees with you?

I don’t and many of your posts and threads get mocked.  You say some wild stuff and I’m by far not the only one who has commented on it.  

You are on a Bills message board and you tend to focus and harp on negative aspect of the Bills while talking up other teams.  

Are you expecting more positive responses with your consistent negative content?

Just now, Royale with Cheese said:

I don’t and many of your posts and threads get mocked.

The “but little johnny and susie does it too” argument?

You say some wild stuff

According to who?

That’s the thing. Your opinion is that my opinions are “wild”. That doesn’t make it a fact. It means there is a difference of thought.

You are on a Bills message board and you tend to focus and harp on negative aspect of the Bills while talking up other teams. 

I write positive posts as well. You don’t focus on those however.

Are you expecting more positive responses with your consistent negative content?

I expect adults to understand that their opinion is not fact and that others can disagree without mocking them.

• Thank you (+1) 1

48 minutes ago, billsfan1959 said:

@Bangarang you are correct

Davis caught that ball cleanly. It wasn't contested at the catch point.

1604900594_Davis01.thumb.jpg.6d0c3faf1f8b83c478f33053e82c19d7.jpg

Tucked it away

444739889_Davis02.jpg.b627c24d484c53d256dd9f0293cec8ba.jpg

The defender got his hand on the ball

685256488_Davis03.thumb.jpg.f77124b00869625bfa905a4d7d1e86a7.jpg

And then on Davis' hand

1786299746_Davis04.thumb.jpg.9f08aae0adf38f0cdc022c8b2c486b75.jpg

And caused the ball to come out

1731960383_Davis05.thumb.jpg.870cf12a1b73f3f6c37883c174f5de4c.jpg

It was a good defensive play

He should have challenged it.

I've seen that same play ruled as a TD in college and pros.

If the receiver cannot maintain possession by himself it is ruled a drop.

If the defender knocks the ball out after a catch and 2 feet down, I've seen it ruled a TD.

Even Trent Green said it looked like a TD.

Was McD saving his challenges for his challenge piggy bank ? You have challenges USE THEM !!!

• Thank you (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, Einstein said:

The “but little johnny and susie does it too” argument?

According to who?

That’s the thing. Your opinion is that my opinions are “wild”. That doesn’t make it a fact. It means there is a difference of thought.

I write positive posts as well. You don’t focus on those however.

I expect adults to understand that their opinion is not fact and that others can disagree without mocking them.

An example would be this thread.  According to who is the reactions and responses you typically get.  

Yes I know you write positive posts but you focus on the negative....especially against Beane and McDermott.  I'm not the only one who has stated it.

Yes I know opinions aren't fact but there are bad opinions and you have a lot of them.  

McDermott has done a brilliant job building a defensive scheme.  McDermott has a done a brilliant job at building team chemistry.  McDermott seems to come into game with a decent game plan. McDermott generally has the team ready to play. 

But

Coffee is for closers. The teams track record over two seasons in close games, and late in games is not good. This was most puncuated by the 13 second debacle.  I am not ready to say McDermott is a choker.   But it is crossing my mind. 

• Like (+1) 1

14 minutes ago, JakeFrommStateFarm said:

He should have challenged it.

I've seen that same play ruled as a TD in college and pros.

If the receiver cannot maintain possession by himself it is ruled a drop.

If the defender knocks the ball out after a catch and 2 feet down, I've seen it ruled a TD.

Even Trent Green said it looked like a TD.

Was McD saving his challenges for his challenge piggy bank ? You have challenges USE THEM !!!

Davis did catch it cleanly and clearly had possession of the ball when his left foot comes down

1102281030_DavisFoot01.thumb.jpg.5b3aa2219484c0ea7ecd2348e6f36269.jpg

And when his right foot comes down - before the defender dislodges the ball

1904682359_DavisFoot02.thumb.jpg.9b80ab7c176ca1d967ba81793f48b2eb.jpg

• Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, Chaos said:

McDermott has done a brilliant job building a defensive scheme.  McDermott has a done a brilliant job at building team chemistry.  McDermott seems to come into game with a decent game plan. McDermott generally has the team ready to play. 

But

Coffee is for closers. The teams track record over two seasons in close games, and late in games is not good. This was most puncuated by the 13 second debacle.  I am not ready to say McDermott is a choker.   But it is crossing my mind. 

3-man rush on the 3rd and 22 was the play of the game IMO.  Indefensible with a secondary in the condition of the what the Bills is.  I don't think Von was even in on the play.  

That ranks right up there with not playing press man, jam them at the line during 13 seconds.  It shows a clear loss of situational awareness, often described as choking when it matters.

• Like (+1) 3

1 hour ago, Coach Tuesday said:

No, you’re wrong.

Davis has had issues with contested plays his entire career.  For all of his size and strength he has always had difficulty fighting at the catch point.  Always.  That was 100% a catch he could and should have made.

His contested catch rate is elite. He caught 58.3% of contested targets last year,  good for #10 overall in the NFL.

Sorry but contested catches are not an issue for him.  

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, billsfan1959 said:

Davis did catch it cleanly and clearly had possession of the ball when his left foot comes down

1102281030_DavisFoot01.thumb.jpg.5b3aa2219484c0ea7ecd2348e6f36269.jpg

And when his right foot comes down - before the defender dislodges the ball

1904682359_DavisFoot02.thumb.jpg.9b80ab7c176ca1d967ba81793f48b2eb.jpg

I thought he had it too, so that's another screw up by the coaching staff. They had the ball, it's not like Miami was hurrying to the line to snap a play.  I've seen McD challenge some clear head scratchers where it's like you immediately know we lost a timeout.  But here, it was like OK, on to the next play.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.