Poor coaching by McDermott is becoming a theme

Einstein

9 hours ago, Metal Man said:

Not sure about this math.

15/34 = .441.

Still not great but a lot closer to .500 which makes sense to me for these kinds of games as it is usually just one good/bad play that decides it.

You are 100% correct sir, thats what i get for those late night/early morning posts, but doesnt change my argument, a 44.1% win rate with this qb, these coordinators, this roster, etc. is shameful.  The only way it becomes a one score game is if the coaches/players have screwed up because we should be double digit favorites in the majority of games.

12 minutes ago, just1hugheser said:

You are 100% correct sir, thats what i get for those late night/early morning posts, but doesnt change my argument, a 44.1% win rate with this qb, these coordinators, this roster, etc. is shameful.  The only way it becomes a one score game is if the coaches/players have screwed up because we should be double digit favorites in the majority of games.

Not sure what you mean. I am going to dog Allen here but we were in the position to win all three games.

In Miami, Allen turfed a go ahead TD to McKenzie on 3rd down.

In New Jersey, Allen threw 2 picks to turn momentum in what was going to be another Bills/Jets blowout

In Minnesota, Allen fumbled a snap on the goaline (which apparently no one ever does), and threw the game losing pick.

• Contributing factor was the defense utterly missing all tackles/angles on Dalvin Cook's long TD run.
  • Contributing factor was the Lewis/Jefferson cooperative catch

Sure you can say somewhere in there McDermotts "play calling" or coaching should have prevented this but I don't buy it. Week after week this team is consistently in the position to win because of a combination of Beane and McDermotts efforts and our players shoot themselves in the foot. If we can get over that then we aren't beatable.

Edited by What a Tuel
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, What a Tuel said:

Not sure what you mean. I am going to dog Allen here but we were in the position to win all three games.

In Miami, Allen turfed a go ahead TD to McKenzie on 3rd down.

In New Jersey, Allen threw 2 picks to turn momentum in what was going to be another Bills/Jets blowout

In Minnesota, Allen fumbled a snap on the goaline (which apparently no one ever does), and threw the game losing pick.

• Contributing factor was the defense utterly missing all tackles/angles on Dalvin Cook's long TD run.
  • Contributing factor was the Lewis/Jefferson cooperative catch

Sure you can say somewhere in there McDermotts "play calling" or coaching should have prevented this but I don't buy it. Week after week this team is consistently in the position to win because of a combination of Beane and McDermotts efforts and our players shoot themselves in the foot. If we can get over that then we aren't beatable.

You’re only looking at this season.  The last 3 years have ended disastrously by blowing a 16 point lead, being totally unprepared for KC in the AFCG and 13 seconds.  The past 3 seasons we routinely take big leads and then let teams back in games that they have no business being in.  At some point as a HC, you have to know your personnel and specifically your QBs penchant for hero ball.  For some reason McD hasn’t learned that or just believes his team “can figure it out”.  This isn’t some recent phenomena, this is McD’s M.O.

20 hours ago, LABILLBACKER said:

We do dumb things because our coaches are dumbasses.  Somewhere Andy Reid is just laughing at what we're doing to Josh.

What’s the fascination with Reid, who took like 21 years as a head coach to win a SB?!?!  

Somewhere McDermott is laughing at some of these dumbass posts. 

15 minutes ago, Dopey said:

What’s the fascination with Reid, who took like 21 years as a head coach to win a SB?!?!  

Somewhere McDermott is laughing at some of these dumbass posts. 

Reid has taken 3 seperate QB’s to the Championship game.

Thats an insane feat.

He has also been to 7 Championship games.

15 hours ago, Rock-A-Bye Beasley said:

Those that don’t trust McDermott just keep getting proven right. You’d think 13 seconds would give these fans all the evidence they need, but they’re still ridiculed. 

I remember when we broke the drought I was happy, but quickly realized this means we are stuck with him forever now. I could already tell how game management would be an obstacle against the better coaches/teams. Unfortunately, I was proven right in ways I could never imagine. 

I really don’t want to dislike the guy. There’s a lot that goes into coaching, but the only aspect fans can really see is the game management which he’s terrible at. 

Sean McDermott checks every single box you'd want from a HC except 2.....

》Poor game management decisions 

》Obsessed with D players over Offensive players.

16 hours ago, Rock-A-Bye Beasley said:

Those that don’t trust McDermott just keep getting proven right. You’d think 13 seconds would give these fans all the evidence they need, but they’re still ridiculed. 

I remember when we broke the drought I was happy, but quickly realized this means we are stuck with him forever now. I could already tell how game management would be an obstacle against the better coaches/teams. Unfortunately, I was proven right in ways I could never imagine. 

I really don’t want to dislike the guy. There’s a lot that goes into coaching, but the only aspect fans can really see is the game management which he’s terrible at. 

Meatball Mafia likes to drown out any intelligent dialogue with their idiocy. Yes, McD is a good coach, but 13 seconds should have never happened under a defensive “guru”.

I feel like we’re wasting Allen at this point. Dorsey is not the answer, in hindsight Daboll would have made a better HC than McD, but I understand why that didn’t happen. 

5 hours ago, Shanahan's Horseshoe said:

You’re only looking at this season.  The last 3 years have ended disastrously by blowing a 16 point lead, being totally unprepared for KC in the AFCG and 13 seconds.  The past 3 seasons we routinely take big leads and then let teams back in games that they have no business being in.  At some point as a HC, you have to know your personnel and specifically your QBs penchant for hero ball.  For some reason McD hasn’t learned that or just believes his team “can figure it out”.  This isn’t some recent phenomena, this is McD’s M.O.

Every year 13 teams make the playoffs and lose. Surely you aren't suggesting they turnover coaching as a result?

Texans were Allen's first playoff game. 

Chiefs beat us in year 2 that is fair in both regular season and post season.

But year 3, we beat the chiefs in their stadium in the regular season handily. We went to Arrowhead again in the post season and yes blew it but played a much closer game.

Year 4, we beat the chiefs once again in Arrowhead. We will see what happens in the post season.

The same could be said about the Titans.

It is extremely confounding how you guys don't see progress. Yes the Super Bowl is the ultimate goal but changing this, what we have right now is the most stupid and foolhardy thing a bills fan can consider. All so we can hire another string of Jauron, Marrone, and Rex Ryan? Oh.... no we will hire the RIGHT coach 😂 like Sean Payton with a 40% no playoff appearance rate with Drew Brees let alone the losses in the postseason that you apparently hate...I'll take my chances in the playoffs with McDermott, thanks.

Edited by What a Tuel
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

On 11/16/2022 at 5:27 AM, BillsMontreal said:

Highly agree.

Our gameplan on Offense: Our QB will play like superman.   Only on the last play, Allen should threw the ball away, no doupt about it, but there's no way you need 3 routes in the endzone with 2 TO left. No way! Our QB knows he has to play like a superhero to win. He forces things. 

At KC last year, He played like a superhero and he won the game. We could talk about this last TD to Davis for a long time, find a name for it like -the drive-. 

Mcdermott and Frazier just found a way to loose the game...

I give a tons of credits to Mcdermott. He brings those Bills there. But, if we want to take the next step, we'll need more than waiting for superman each week.

Very well stated. I completely agree with you. It's clear McD get get this team over the hump. Pretty sure the Bills will be KCs bitc#es again. Maybe even the Dolphins who are a better team. 

On 11/16/2022 at 4:48 PM, John from Riverside said:

Hey certain group of fans here love the B word specially after a loss but don’t take into consideration where the team actually is at where it has been at for the previous few years and how they’re set up for the future

Things actually could get much worse if you start going away from a winning coach and all the other craziness that fans suggest here much worse

And it will be easy for Said fans who will just be able to go back into the woodwork

This is a winning football team they know what they’re doing just because you take a couple of losses in a season does it make it not a winning football team this isnt college

You shouldn't be satisfied with a winning record that gets you into the playoffs and maybe one win. The goal is to win the Super Bowl. At the very least get there. Your logic is flawed. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

2 hours ago, newcam2012 said:

Very well stated. I completely agree with you. It's clear McD get get this team over the hump. Pretty sure the Bills will be KCs bitc#es again. Maybe even the Dolphins who are a better team. 

You shouldn't be satisfied with a winning record that gets you into the playoffs and maybe one win. The goal is to win the Super Bowl. At the very least get there. Your logic is flawed. 

And we have literally been very close every year for the last two years you can sit there and lament, the fact that we don’t go win every game we play or you can understand that the other team gets paid to play to. We are beating good teams, and the teams that have beaten us have good records.

4 hours ago, Turk71 said:

Maybe just hire a really smart guy to help manage game situations. 

2-9 in one score games last season and so far this season is probably not just a statistical anomaly.

Adam Gase had a 26-12 record in one score games as head coach.  What's he up to nowadays? 

• Like (+1) 1

6 hours ago, Victory Formation said:

Meatball Mafia likes to drown out any intelligent dialogue with their idiocy. Yes, McD is a good coach, but 13 seconds should have never happened under a defensive “guru”.

I feel like we’re wasting Allen at this point. Dorsey is not the answer, in hindsight Daboll would have made a better HC than McD, but I understand why that didn’t happen. 

Josh is wasting himself. The coaches cannot be blamed for the inexplicable decision making over the past three weeks. They are plays you wouldn’t expect a rookie to continually make, let alone someone with Josh’s ability.

• Disagree 2
  • Agree 2

A lot of pushback on pg. 50

@PromoTheRobot @What a Tuel

I don’t think it would be smart to, nor do I think anyone is calling for, firing McDermott this season. However, Some fans have had these concerns since his first season. The only thing that has improved is the quarterback and I give him little to no credit for that. So yes we will see if he can get over the hump, we were in this same mindset with him before last season and then 13 seconds happened. 

@Doc Brown

clearly cherry-picking stats. I get it that one score games is usually a dubious distinction because there can be garbage-time scores amongst other factors.

In this case the coach’s track record is actually worse than it seems considering when the Bills do win against the bottom half of the league it’s often a blowout. In those games there are often head-scratching game management and challenges, but it is quickly forgotten due to the scoreboard.

@UKBillFan

Basically what I’m trying to say is when the QB is a little off or the other team is really good (usually on offense) or there are a couple bad breaks, the team needs its coach to be sharp and give them an the edge needed to increase their chances. I’ve been seeing the opposite happen for years. 

Like I said at this time last year, we will see (we saw)

1 hour ago, UKBillFan said:

Josh is wasting himself. The coaches cannot be blamed for the inexplicable decision making over the past three weeks. They are plays you wouldn’t expect a rookie to continually make, let alone someone with Josh’s ability.

I'm not sure about three weeks, but the last two this is without question true. I thought he played a good first half v Minnesota. But he was terrible vs the Jets and awful in the second half vs the Vikings. We have to appreciate how much of the success the last few years is down to Josh playing so well.... but the flip side of that coin is the last two losses are primarily on Josh Allen. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Rock-A-Bye Beasley said:

@UKBillFan

Basically what I’m trying to say is when the QB is a little off or the other team is really good (usually on offense) or there are a couple bad breaks, the team needs its coach to be sharp and give them an the edge needed to increase their chances. I’ve been seeing the opposite happen for years.

So I disagree, with you that the opposite has been happening for years but I do agree broadly with your sentiment. The problem the last two weeks is that the QB hasn't been "a little bit off" he has been bad as a passer.

1 hour ago, GunnerBill said:

I'm not sure about three weeks, but the last two this is without question true. I thought he played a good first half v Minnesota. But he was terrible vs the Jets and awful in the second half vs the Vikings. We have to appreciate how much of the success the last few years is down to Josh playing so well.... but the flip side of that coin is the last two losses are primarily on Josh Allen. 

Josh is a wonderful irritant. He has the physical ability to be the best Quarterback ever in my mind - the arm, the running game, the strength, it's astounding what he can do at his peak. Whilst I appreciate no one can be at their ceiling constantly, the mistakes he makes on a worrying regular occurrence are simple ones. I don't mind the first interception on Sunday as far as Josh's throw goes (the play call was odd but that's possibly on Dorsey); they can happen. The interceptions against the Packers, Jets and Vikings where he threw straight at a defensive player is baffling and concerning. 

Peterson said it best - Josh is still great but he needs to learn to take what the defense gives him. The annoying thing is it seemed like he had learned that lesson but is now regressing.

2 hours ago, Rock-A-Bye Beasley said:

A lot of pushback on pg. 50

@PromoTheRobot @What a Tuel

I don’t think it would be smart to, nor do I think anyone is calling for, firing McDermott this season. However, Some fans have had these concerns since his first season. The only thing that has improved is the quarterback and I give him little to no credit for that. So yes we will see if he can get over the hump, we were in this same mindset with him before last season and then 13 seconds happened. 

@Doc Brown

clearly cherry-picking stats. I get it that one score games is usually a dubious distinction because there can be garbage-time scores amongst other factors.

In this case the coach’s track record is actually worse than it seems considering when the Bills do win against the bottom half of the league it’s often a blowout. In those games there are often head-scratching game management and challenges, but it is quickly forgotten due to the scoreboard.

@UKBillFan

Like I said at this time last year, we will see (we saw)

I appreciate what you are saying but I do think, on the offensive side, Dorsey does seem to call schemes and adapt plays which result in simple plays being available underneath. The question is why doesn't Josh see them or take them, throwing into coverage instead. Can we pinpoint that on Dorsey?

When it comes to the offensive side of the game, my bigger concern from a coaching viewpoint is why teams seem to be able to adapt to our run game at the half and we struggle to make changes in return.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.