Poor coaching by McDermott is becoming a theme

Einstein

On 11/14/2022 at 9:41 AM, Einstein said:

Yep. That’s what was happening. We won and therefore all the bad coaching decisions were forgotten about it. Nope. Shouldn’t work that way.

It is like you don't watch other games.

Remember this?

Capture.JPG

Edited by What a Tuel

On 11/14/2022 at 7:37 PM, QCity said:

2-10 in one score games, the sample size is growing. Even the most ardent supporters of this coaching staff have to admit that percentage is way too low for a team with this much talent.

Actually 2-3 this year. Why do last years losses matter so much for this year?  Why go back and add the other 7?

2-3 ain't great but it's definitely better than the previous 7.

• Agree 1

On 11/14/2022 at 7:37 PM, QCity said:

2-10 in one score games, the sample size is growing. Even the most ardent supporters of this coaching staff have to admit that percentage is way too low for a team with this much talent.

I am just going to copy and paste this here. The good news for you is that 2021 was an outlier. The bad news is that you won't stop touting that stupid statistic anyway.

1 score games

2018 - 3-3

2019 - 4-6

2020 - 6-1

2021 - 0-6

2022 - 2-3

Meanwhile 2 score games:

2018 - 3-7

2019 - 6-1

2020 - 9-3

2021 - 12-1

2022 - 4-0

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, reddogblitz said:

Actually 2-3 this year. Why do last years losses matter so much for this year?  Why go back and add the other 7?

2-3 ain't great but it's definitely better than the previous 7.

110% agree. With the amount of roster and individual coaching turnover inherent to all NFL franchises year over year, it’s really tough to draw definitive conclusions as to just this one issue, imho. Now if the total numbers this year mirror the last, I might be more inclined to buy it, but it’s still premature at this juncture to read too much into it. 

• Like (+1) 1

On 11/14/2022 at 8:17 PM, TFBillsfan said:

I’m convinced this coaching staff has no clue what to do with the RB’s and how they can be used to make this offense even better. And that includes Beane in evaluating RB talent. 

I think he knows what to do with RBs. In 2017 we were second in the NFL rushing.  Did he forget?  My theory on the run game is its not that we can't run the hall, we choose not to.  13 RB carries on Sunday with a sore arm QB throwing 45 passes and running himself 5 times says it all IMHO.

• Thank you (+1) 1

some really good points made.

i think the take away is our team and josh need a coach who has got them prepped (which we have i think in spades) who can make game time decisions (which we have gone from really bad to medium IMO), and most of all right now we need someone who can make just the right amount of critical adjustments to get Josh and the O to avoid red zone blunders and turnovers (i think the coaches can do a lot systematically w situational prep, and a little w player coaching).

i read a comment on another board by a knowledgably poster (someone who has a bit of NLF FO experience) and he described the team as dumb.  i think we do dumb things because our coaches and players try to do too much and account for too many things and miss the forest for the trees.  we need a bit of a simplification, and the best way to do that is to practice and plan some situational football.

red zone and turnovers (particularly red zone turnovers!) are what cost us all 3 games, and just reducing them gets us to the top of the afc. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

On 11/14/2022 at 11:07 AM, 1onemangang7 said:

They definitely don't teach fundamentals. They still don't understand when to just knock it down . But because the quarterback is so good they make them favorites to win the superbowl.

Highly agree.

Our gameplan on Offense: Our QB will play like superman.   Only on the last play, Allen should threw the ball away, no doupt about it, but there's no way you need 3 routes in the endzone with 2 TO left. No way! Our QB knows he has to play like a superhero to win. He forces things. 

At KC last year, He played like a superhero and he won the game. We could talk about this last TD to Davis for a long time, find a name for it like -the drive-. 

Mcdermott and Frazier just found a way to loose the game...

I give a tons of credits to Mcdermott. He brings those Bills there. But, if we want to take the next step, we'll need more than waiting for superman each week.

• Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

1 hour ago, BillsMontreal said:

Highly agree.

Our gameplan on Offense: Our QB will play like superman.   Only on the last play, Allen should threw the ball away, no doupt about it, but there's no way you need 3 routes in the endzone with 2 TO left. No way! Our QB knows he has to play like a superhero to win. He forces things. 

At KC last year, He played like a superhero and he won the game. We could talk about this last TD to Davis for a long time, find a name for it like -the drive-. 

Mcdermott and Frazier just found a way to loose the game...

I give a tons of credits to Mcdermott. He brings those Bills there. But, if we want to take the next step, we'll need more than waiting for superman each week.

They're not doing anything about it though.  The pass on Hall Walker and White and go with another lightweight 3rd down type. They go with another 3rd down type at the deadline while the Jets get Robinson to fill for Hall and the dolphins grab Wilson to take it off their qb.  If that elbow doesn't get right maybe there's an excuse they can lean on. When you go in as favorites and potential to be the biggest disappointment they know they're being watched and will run Josh out there and into the ground.  I don't have too much respect for that. Defensive minded or not he sees the imbalance.

Edited by 1onemangang7
  • Agree 2

Hey certain group of fans here love the B word specially after a loss but don’t take into consideration where the team actually is at where it has been at for the previous few years and how they’re set up for the future

Things actually could get much worse if you start going away from a winning coach and all the other craziness that fans suggest here much worse

And it will be easy for Said fans who will just be able to go back into the woodwork

This is a winning football team they know what they’re doing just because you take a couple of losses in a season does it make it not a winning football team this isnt college

Edited by John from Riverside

16 hours ago, colin said:

some really good points made.

i think the take away is our team and josh need a coach who has got them prepped (which we have i think in spades) who can make game time decisions (which we have gone from really bad to medium IMO), and most of all right now we need someone who can make just the right amount of critical adjustments to get Josh and the O to avoid red zone blunders and turnovers (i think the coaches can do a lot systematically w situational prep, and a little w player coaching).

i read a comment on another board by a knowledgably poster (someone who has a bit of NLF FO experience) and he described the team as dumb.  i think we do dumb things because our coaches and players try to do too much and account for too many things and miss the forest for the trees.  we need a bit of a simplification, and the best way to do that is to practice and plan some situational football.

red zone and turnovers (particularly red zone turnovers!) are what cost us all 3 games, and just reducing them gets us to the top of the afc. 

We do dumb things because our coaches are dumbasses.  Somewhere Andy Reid is just laughing at what we're doing to Josh.

• Like (+1) 2

On 11/16/2022 at 12:03 AM, What a Tuel said:

I am just going to copy and paste this here. The good news for you is that 2021 was an outlier. The bad news is that you won't stop touting that stupid statistic anyway.

1 score games

2018 - 3-3

2019 - 4-6

2020 - 6-1

2021 - 0-6

2022 - 2-3

Meanwhile 2 score games:

2018 - 3-7

2019 - 6-1

2020 - 9-3

2021 - 12-1

2022 - 4-0

15-19 does not help your side of the argument

a .441 winning pct is not good, especially not with this roster, this qb, this defense

Edited by just1hugheser
bad math lol
  • Like (+1) 1

Those that don’t trust McDermott just keep getting proven right. You’d think 13 seconds would give these fans all the evidence they need, but they’re still ridiculed. 

I remember when we broke the drought I was happy, but quickly realized this means we are stuck with him forever now. I could already tell how game management would be an obstacle against the better coaches/teams. Unfortunately, I was proven right in ways I could never imagine. 

I really don’t want to dislike the guy. There’s a lot that goes into coaching, but the only aspect fans can really see is the game management which he’s terrible at. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

3 hours ago, just1hugheser said:

15-19 does not help your side of the argument

a .210 winning pct is not good, especially not with this roster, this qb, this defense

Not sure about this math.

15/34 = .441.

Still not great but a lot closer to .500 which makes sense to me for these kinds of games as it is usually just one good/bad play that decides it.

5 hours ago, LABILLBACKER said:

We do dumb things because our coaches are dumbasses.  Somewhere Andy Reid is just laughing at what we're doing to Josh.

I hear you, but i think some is on players and some is on coaches.  no matter what tho, the solution is up to the coaches, they steer the ship.  the players have to execute tho, but coaches need to work out the playing dumbness, and somehow identify their own silliness 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.