Poor coaching by McDermott is becoming a theme

Einstein

Most disappointing is I do not see this coaching staff learning and developing. How many ways does he and his staff need to lose games on basic fundamentals? Year after year! We can all understand once in awhile strange things happen but this is beyond ridiculous. Everyone of the examples below the game should have NEVER come down these situations.

• Houston 4th and long…..players are way far back and out of position (coaching)
  • AZ………..knock it down (coaching)
  • KC 13 seconds. Missed communication on kickoff, Chiefs have all three timeouts and you let them run free and this was AFTER you called two timeouts….(coaching)
  • Minny…….4th and forever…..knock it down which should have been stressed with the two minute warning…(coaching)

McDermott and Frazier are content with a bend but dont break D that rarely adjusts to what’s occurring in the game hoping to get home with four.  

Yes there have been injuries this year but ALL the more reason to reinforce fundamentals and game situations. You traded for a safety (Marlowe) that knows your D but yet you start a safety who’s never started? Coaching

I’m convinced this coaching staff has no clue what to do with the RB’s and how they can be used to make this offense even better. And that includes Beane in evaluating RB talent. 

The game yesterday in the 2nd half was horrible on so many fronts. Not kicking the FG to go up 13. Not utilizing the run game when the clock is your friend. One possessions they went 3 and out and used roughly 40 seconds off the clock in the 4th qtr with the lead.  THATS ALL COACHING!

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

I have this nagging suspicion Allen is so good we'll always be just good enough for  not change to me made  I'd just be happy if they changed up once in a while and stopped playing so passive  I'd pass out if Frazier ever commited to forcing the issue on defense by bring the house once in a while  Qbs gotta feel good knowing we are not going to change things up pressure wise

On 11/14/2022 at 11:14 AM, Success said:

I just posted this on another thread - but this team has to have among the worst situational awareness in the league.

That wasn't the 1st time a DB has tried for the interception on a 4th down. That's an easy one for a coaching staff - you always knock the ball down there.  And rushing 4 guys & the rest of it w/ 13 seconds was obviously another biggie. But you can see it almost every week w/ this team. It's easy to contrast with a team like the Pats in their prime, who were prepared for every single situation.

I have been saying these things about McD since our loss to Houston in the playoffs when Watson was still playing, in that season and game you can see how they are limited by McD, now in the past 2018-2019 I qualified my statements by saying that he was a young hc and seems to have truthful self reflection and can maybe learn to be better over time well now 5 years later the same mistakes, same 'feelings' of pressing/tightness in pressure situations, lack of awareness/knowledge of common leverage situations throughout a game, same lack of fundamentals, same over reliance on josh, i mean our entire team gameplan is to have josh go score a bunch of points then let the defensive front t-off and the secondary keep everything in front as the other team has to pass the ball-which is all well and good against bad teams and they also forgot the other half of that strategy which is having a top 5-10 Oline so when josh does put us by 14+ we can control the los and run the ball/clock.  So many little things add up and put this team behind the 8ball every week, coaches are supposed to put players in positions to succeed- see carroll in seattle, daboll in ny, mcdaniel in mia, saleh in ny, bb in ne, oconnell in min, shanahan in sf, pederson in jax, etc. etc., all of these coaches are much much better than mcd.

They say history repeats itself and if we dont learn we are doomed to repeat it, well if anyone here was a fan of the Bills in the 90's this is very much like Marv Levy and those rosters; love Levy and McD for their overall leadership/culture stuff but as far as tactical/strategic gameplanning x's and o's these guys are very much lacking luckily for McD he has had good coordinators and josh at QB, Levy had easily the best roster in football for almost a decade but his coordinators were some of the worst in the league, just look at the super bowl coaching staffs bills vs nyg/wash/cowboys and look at the gameplans strategy of each side and how each game played out.  I know this is not a popular take as Marv is a god around here but I would rather win one super bowl than go to multiple, also if you replace Levy and his staff with any of the better head coaches of the time and we have a dynasty like the pats with BB/TB- yes the cowboys with jimmy johnson would have been a problem but with better coaching it would have at least been much more competitive.

Do you want to keep evolving and getting better or do you just want to stay where you are now because you are in a better place than you were before?

McD was the leader we needed to change the culture around here, and him bringing Beane gave us our first competent GM in a long time, now Beane has also been very lacking as a GM because the draft(s) have to be better but his free agent moves, trades and some later round hits have helped bridge the gap, but he needs to start bringing in dogs not just 'good character consistent players' oliver at 9 is a huge whiff, all dline and oline picks have been busts with the exceptions of dawkins and wyatt teller, none of the dlinemen have proven they are not busts, thank god von came here because just maybe he can teach rousseau what our coaches obviously cannot,  milano and edmunds were nice picks, other than that cant think of too many good beane picks.

23 hours ago, QCity said:

2-10 in one score games, the sample size is growing. Even the most ardent supporters of this coaching staff have to admit that percentage is way too low for a team with this much talent.

Yeah i’m getting a lot less people making fun of me for having these opinions now than a few weeks ago. The supporters are dwindling.

• Like (+1) 1

23 hours ago, QCity said:

2-10 in one score games, the sample size is growing. Even the most ardent supporters of this coaching staff have to admit that percentage is way too low for a team with this much talent.

How about using every year since he has been coach and not cherry picking last year and this year, you all suck as fans and need to grow a pair, McD is a great coach, who you going to replace him? Pathetic fan base, you are embarrassment to Bills fans everywhere.

Patriots are NOT ready ready most of the time and make stupid mistakes constantly. Tom Brady is the reason they were dominate, BB sucks now and always. He will never win a SB without Brady, never. TB goes to Tampa and wins easily without a good staff or many players.

• Disagree 1

On 11/14/2022 at 12:31 PM, ArtVandalay said:

The team keeps committing the same mistakes over and over. It's coaching. 

We still don't know when to kick a FG or go for it because McDummy doesn't have the head for it, since he was too conservative before he now goes for it 100% of the time because he doesn't understand what spots to pick. 

It's fitting he's McD because he's a McDonald's quality head coach.  

Are you kidding, you are giving him to much praise.  MC'D is not even deserving of a McDonalds association, he is more like Jack in the Box!!

jack in the box GIF

Edited by Toyo321
  • Haha (+1) 2

This has kind of been my thought on McDermott for a while now

-He is an excellent coach Monday- Saturday. The team is always ready. We almost never get blown out. We are double digit favorites constantly. We went from a complete joke to literal Super bowl contender with him. The minute he got here we started winning. I’ll be forever in debt to him for turning this around and after more time goes on, we will only appreciate him more. I’m proud of this team for the first time in forever and McDermott is the main reason. The guy is going nowhere and he earned that.

-On game day he is horrible. The in actives are infuriating. He overvalues special teams to a disgraceful degree and we aren’t even good at it. The league has long since phased STs out and we are the last team to realize it. We never use RBs the correct way. It started with high leverage carries for a completely done Frank Gore, evolved to Moss and just has been horrible everywhere in between. We have no clue how to adjust, we are nowhere near aggressive enough on defense. No clue when to challenge and clock management is embarrassing. We also refuse to establish the run and play with transparent unbalance. Losing close games stops being luck after a while. Fraizers defense is way to soft for the talent we have and the offense is completely careless with the ball.

I know it falls on McDermott but I don’t think it’s all his fault. I feel like he’s too trusting at times and needs to get more hands on. I want McDermott to completely take over the defense. Call the plays, adjust personnel, get the headset on…all of it. I’m happy that everyone from the outside loves Fraizer. Hopefully they love him enough to get him a HC job somewhere because I can’t stand him. We play defense like complete pussies and every decent QB has all day to stand there and find guys on 3rd down. It’s been like that every single season. We have been a good defense under Fraizer but it’s absolutely because of the players. We have the most talent in the NFL on defense IMO. We should be lights out and putting fear into offenses. We just are on skates seemingly on purpose and that’s Fraizer. That’s what his defenses were in Minnesota and that’s why he was fired. On offense, I know McDermott values the run and balance more then Dabol or Dorsey. Get in the room and make it change. You have another OC in the building. It’s as simple as run the ***** ball or this other guy will. Get your hands on this entire team because these windows are small. Now is the time to swing for it all and if we go down, it needs to be with McDermotts fastball. Tighten up and step on some toes if you have to. The ends will justify the means if we get where we have to go.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, Brianmoorman4jesus said:

-He is an excellent coach Monday- Saturday. The team is always ready. We almost never get blown out. We are double digit favorites constantly. We went from a complete joke to literal Super bowl contender with him. The minute he got here we started winning. I’ll be forever in debt to him for turning this around and after more time goes on, we will only appreciate him more. I’m proud of this team for the first time in forever and McDermott is the main reason. The guy is going nowhere and he earned that.

-On game day he is horrible. The in actives are infuriating. He overvalues special teams to a disgraceful degree and we aren’t even good at it. The league has long since phased STs out and we are the last team to realize it. We never use RBs the correct way. It started with high leverage carries for a completely done Frank Gore, evolved to Moss and just has been horrible everywhere in between. We have no clue how to adjust, we are nowhere near aggressive enough on defense. No clue when to challenge and clock management is embarrassing. We also refuse to establish the run and play with transparent unbalance. Losing close games stops being luck after a while. Fraizers defense is way to soft for the talent we have and the offense is completely careless with the ball.

I know it falls on McDermott but I don’t think it’s all his fault. I feel like he’s too trusting at times and needs to get more hands on. I want McDermott to completely take over the defense. Call the plays, adjust personnel, get the headset on…all of it. I’m happy that everyone from the outside loves Fraizer. Hopefully they love him enough to get him a HC job somewhere because I can’t stand him. We play defense like complete pussies and every decent QB has all day to stand there and find guys on 3rd down. It’s been like that every single season. We have been a good defense under Fraizer but it’s absolutely because of the players. We have the most talent in the NFL on defense IMO. We should be lights out and putting fear into offenses. We just are on skates seemingly on purpose and that’s Fraizer. That’s what his defenses were in Minnesota and that’s why he was fired. On offense, I know McDermott values the run and balance more then Dabol or Dorsey. Get in the room and make it change. You have another OC in the building. It’s as simple as run the ***** ball or this other guy will. Get your hands on this entire team because these windows are small. Now is the time to swing for it all and if we go down, it needs to be with McDermotts fastball. Tighten up and step on some toes if you have to. The ends will justify the means if we get where we have to go.

I definitely agree with the Monday thru Saturday comment. McD is horrible on Sunday. In fact he appears to be less of a coach and more of a cheerleader on Sunday. I cannot recall ever seeing him talking to Josh during a game. (I’m probably wrong but that definitely the impression you get on television.)

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

Wow, this thread got out of hand.   McD deserves criticism for some decisions in close game losses over the last 2 years.   But I really believe the Vikings loss is way more on the players than coaching staff.   If you're one of those who is going to lead every bad play or lack of execution back to the coaches then there's not much to argue.   

For example,  I played D-back in college and was told by every coach from the time I was 10 years old to knock it down  on 4th down.   Cam Lewis is a 3rd year pro who knows better.   Sometimes players make dumb plays.    

For those killing the coaches for poor results and blown leads, were you praisng them for adjustments in the comeback against Baltimore?

• Like (+1) 6
  • Dislike 1

3 minutes ago, Reks Ryan said:

Wow, this thread got out of hand.   McD deserves criticism for some decisions in close game losses over the last 2 years.   But I really believe the Vikings loss is way more on the players than coaching staff.   If you're one of those who is going to lead every bad play or lack of execution back to the coaches then there's not much to argue.   

For example,  I played D-back in college and was told by every coach from the time I was 10 years old to knock it down  on 4th down.   Cam Lewis is a 3rd year pro who knows better.   Sometimes players make dumb plays.    

For those killing the coaches for poor results and blown leads, were you praisng them for adjustments in the comeback against Baltimore?

Sometimes you need a little more of this to get the point through to these guys.

varsity-blues-bud-kilmer.gif

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

38 minutes ago, Brianmoorman4jesus said:

Great post! My fear is McD is one of those coaches who can come in and turn around a losing franchise to a point. But there are flaws that will keep you from winning the big one. His biggest attribute is supposed to be attention to detail and being prepared for every situation. I'm not seeing it. We were horrible during this part of the season last year too, and got it back on track to make a run. Hope they can do it again this year. And then avoid another debacle.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

On 11/14/2022 at 5:36 AM, Back2Buff said:

Daboll should have never been allowed to leave the building.

McDermott should have been fired and Daboll took over.

I said the Bills would go into an Atlanta situation where they stuck with Quinn instead of going with Shanahan after the Super bowl, and it looks like it's playing out just like I thought.

I gave McDermott the benefit of the doubt when his defense blew a 16-0 lead in Houston.  I tried to rationalize why KC dismantled his defense in 2020 AFCCG.  Last year was the final straw. He was directly responsible for not getting his ST unit ready for a pooch. Or defending the sidelines while Andy has 3 timeouts. We've experienced countless bonehead gameday decisions by both Frazier & McD.  And now there's concerns for Dorsey?  

I wanted McD to kick the short fg and put us up 30-17.  The Vikings are not Mahomes.  But oh well. Daboll helped Josh and now he's gone. McD or Dorsey have gotta find a way to restructure Josh's responsibilities. He can't be expected to be 95% of the offense. Without neutering his elite athleticism,  give Josh a better OL and maybe a fraction of a run game.  And finally if you have dumb players on your team ( Cam ) then release them.  The coaches are responsible for this.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

33 minutes ago, Reks Ryan said:

It's hard to win when you have 4 turnovers.  Especially the ones the Bills had the other day.  

• Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

21 minutes ago, KHAN said:

Great post! My fear is McD is one of those coaches who can come in and turn around a losing franchise to a point. But there are flaws that will keep you from winning the big one. His biggest attribute is supposed to be attention to detail and being prepared for every situation. I'm not seeing it. We were horrible during this part of the season last year too, and got it back on track to make a run. Hope they can do it again this year. And then avoid another debacle.

exactly my fear, we saw it with levy too, just couldnt get over the hump

15 minutes ago, LABILLBACKER said:

I gave McDermott the benefit of the doubt when his defense blew a 16-0 lead in Houston.  I tried to rationalize why KC dismantled his defense in 2020 AFCCG.  Last year was the final straw. He was directly responsible for not getting his ST unit ready for a pooch. Or defending the sidelines while Andy has 3 timeouts. We've experienced countless bonehead gameday decisions by both Frazier & McD.  And now there's concerns for Dorsey?  

I wanted McD to kick the short fg and put us up 30-17.  The Vikings are not Mahomes.  But oh well. Daboll helped Josh and now he's gone. McD or Dorsey have gotta find a way to restructure Josh's responsibilities. He can't be expected to be 95% of the offense. Without neutering his elite athleticism,  give Josh a better OL and maybe a fraction of a run game.  And finally if you have dumb players on your team ( Cam ) then release them.  The coaches are responsible for this.

agreed

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

On 11/14/2022 at 8:01 AM, buffaloaggie said:

It's common sense to knock the ball down or away on 4th down.

It is for me and you and a lot of fans I talked to. 

But is it really for NFL DBs? I see 4th down interceptions semi-regularly.  The guy that got the first interception caught it on 4th down too. Not sure why that is. Maybe they're afraid it will bounce to someone else? A tip drill catch?

On 11/14/2022 at 12:31 PM, ArtVandalay said:

It's fitting he's McD because he's a McDonald's quality head coach.  

Its amazing to me that a "McDonald's quality coach" can notch a 55-35 record,  58-39 counting playoffs with a team that had missed the playoffs for 17 straight years when he took over.  How does that work exactly?  And don't tell me its cuz of Josh Allen cuz McDermott got us to the playoffs without him.

And we have won 2 1 possession games this year.  Chiefs and Ravens. Not too shabby couple of teams. We need to improve that obviously but it definitely shows we still can.

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.