Poor coaching by McDermott is becoming a theme

Einstein

6 hours ago, Einstein said:

This thread may be a bit more respected now.

I created this thread even when we we’re winning because bad coaching decisions can quickly lead to losing games.

You can’t just excuse it away because we won the particular game the bad decision happened in.

Other teams start picking up on your bad coaching tendencies and they take advantage of it.

We can turn this around and make a run, but coaching needs to be better.

Go Bills.

He's right. Winning covers up the warts of this staff and makes it easy to shrug the missteps off, but when the winning stops it's not a pretty picture.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

The Bills coaching staff and players lack common sense. 

It's common sense to knock the ball down or away on 4th down.

It's common sense to take what they give you if the clock is not yet your enemy (2 minutes left, it's not your enemy). We didn't need to throw into the end zone from 20 yards out when Allen attempted to throw to Knox and Davis (INT)

It's common sense to not let receivers have a free release when your opponent needs 40 or 50 yards in 13 seconds.

I'm sure there are many things that people can think of that seem like common sense. The Bills do not have common sense ingrained in their heads. This, rather than talent, is what seems to separate this team from championships. Coach's fault? It definitely appears so. If the players aren't doing what they're told, that's a whole different problem. 

Edited by buffaloaggie
added context

8 hours ago, IronMaidenBills said:

The fact that McD didn’t roll out Allen and tell him to throw it away if he couldn’t make it to the line of scrimmage is beyond me. It’s the #1 reason why I’m officially done with his dumb antics. If we aren’t calling up Payton to see if he is remotely interested next season, then I’m not sure we will every win a Super Bowl with Allen and we will have wasted elite QB talent with a good window of opportunity. 

This is the worst of all. Possibly the most gifted QB to ever play the game and waste him on limpdick coached teams. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

The story of the Bills the last 3 seasons has been their inability to commit to running the football and here we are again this year with the same issue. He keeps saying he wants balance, but continues not to do it. Is McDermott completely hands off when it comes to the offensive side of the ball? Because that’s what it looks like to me. 

15 minutes ago, BillMafia716ix said:

The story of the Bills the last 3 seasons has been their inability to commit to running the football and here we are again this year with the same issue. He keeps saying he wants balance, but continues not to do it. Is McDermott completely hands off when it comes to the offensive side of the ball? Because that’s what it looks like to me. 

All true but I’d retitle the story. The real story is the inability to win close games down the stretch. The problem’s been that the story inside the story changes each time so it’s not so apparent. One game it’s the defense giving up the long drive and the next game it’s the offense not making the clutch play to seal the win. You occasionally get an outlier like last year against Tampa where they come back from way behind so you feel good about the effort…but they still lose. In between kickoff and the final whistle, the Bills look like world beaters! Coaching gets a lot of the blame. 

• Like (+1) 2

To me McD lacks good game management skills and that killer mindset. I think it shows up in close games often, it's like he never takes control of the situation, seems passive and let's the coordinators and players do whatever they want. The Vikings have played stellar in the 2nd half in all of their games, we came out in the 2nd half and didn't try to establish any continued rhythm. When it was 4th and 2 at the Minnesota 22 yard line and we kicked the field goal, when Ferguson got the flag, I think we should have gone for the 4th and 2 then. If we get the first down and then score, we're up 34-10. Instead we played conservative and didn't go for any 4th downs until Minnesota had read the room with Edmunds out on the next series and gashed us for 81 yards. 

Edited by extrahammer
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

Daboll should have never been allowed to leave the building.

McDermott should have been fired and Daboll took over.

I said the Bills would go into an Atlanta situation where they stuck with Quinn instead of going with Shanahan after the Super bowl, and it looks like it's playing out just like I thought.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Vomit 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

9 hours ago, QCity said:

He's right. Winning covers up the warts of this staff and makes it easy to shrug the missteps off, but when the winning stops it's not a pretty picture.

Yep. That’s what was happening. We won and therefore all the bad coaching decisions were forgotten about it. Nope. Shouldn’t work that way.

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, BillMafia716ix said:

I think dispute what he says, he doesn’t want to run it. He has never had a good running game. 

look at Daboll for example, he’s had multiple stints as OC and HC with running very well. Miami as OC, Chiefs as OC, Pats, Browns, and now Giants 

6 hours ago, Lionel Hutz said:

Has anyone in the national media been critical of McDermott, yet? 

A little bit ... Stephen A Smith, Colin Cowherd ... if the Bills do not advance to the Super Bowl this year (get to the game ... get past Kansas City ... get out of the AFC), you must fire McDermott ... the guy finds ways to lose ... I can see it in McDermott's eyes and facial expressions in these close games, he's afraid, the team is not prepared for crucial situations in games time and again (you could almost tell before the snap that something was going to go wrong on the goalline fumble ... imo, it's because the team isn't well-coached and prepared for such moments).  McDermott is a defensive-minded coach trying to coach an elite NFL offense, it simply isn't a good fit in the Josh Allen era.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Vomit 1
  • Eyeroll 1
  • Agree 2

I just posted this on another thread - but this team has to have among the worst situational awareness in the league.

That wasn't the 1st time a DB has tried for the interception on a 4th down. That's an easy one for a coaching staff - you always knock the ball down there.  And rushing 4 guys & the rest of it w/ 13 seconds was obviously another biggie. But you can see it almost every week w/ this team. It's easy to contrast with a team like the Pats in their prime, who were prepared for every single situation.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Disagree 1
  • Agree 3

The team keeps committing the same mistakes over and over. It's coaching. 

We still don't know when to kick a FG or go for it because McDummy doesn't have the head for it, since he was too conservative before he now goes for it 100% of the time because he doesn't understand what spots to pick. 

It's fitting he's McD because he's a McDonald's quality head coach.  

• Like (+1) 3
  • Vomit 1

3 minutes ago, ArtVandalay said:

The team keeps committing the same mistakes over and over. It's coaching. 

We still don't know when to kick a FG or go for it because McDummy doesn't have the head for it, since he was too conservative before he now goes for it 100% of the time because he doesn't understand what spots to pick. 

It's fitting he's McD because he's a McDonald's quality head coach.  

At least we’re getting away from lil dummy 😎

It would probably take 2-3 seasons of missing the playoff's for McDermott to be replaced.

wrong this team is too talented to not make the playoffs for 2-3 years. When you are the Super Bowl favorites or contenders for multiple years and the coach fails in spectacular fashion at some point you realize you need a coaching change. It happens in all sports leagues including the NFL. I don’t think they fire him this year but next year is his last if he doesn’t show vast improvement in situational awareness and game mgmt. which is 100% coaching. This team plays dumb. 

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.