Poor coaching by McDermott is becoming a theme

Einstein

59 minutes ago, Since1981 said:

Coaching. 
—Team has made playoffs multi year. 
—beane got the 53 players.

—got to medal round but can’t win close, situational football where coaching makes the difference. 

if anyone thinks Belleacheat wouldn’t kill it with this roster, please speak up. 

The hoodie would have already won a SB with Allen, no questions about it. 

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Einstein said:

You quoted an old post.

As a coach you have to take everything into consideration and make a decision.

Consideration #1: Allen is injured.

Consideration #2: Allen hasn’t been playing well.

Take those two considerations and the obvious choice to me is “kick the field goal”.

If Allen wasn’t injured and Allen was playing normal MVP level, fine, go for it.

But he ain’t.

And there is no point in pretending that he is.

So kick the field goal, considering the circumstances.

Especially when your offense has only scored 3 pts in the 2nd half.  Kick the FG and MAKE MN beat you by scoring TWO TD’s. Just an asinine decision by McDermott. ZERO reason to be aggressive in that situation.

Even after the sack to make it 4th and 18 with two minute warning did anyone on the coaching staff reinforce the situation and what to do?  Or were they too busy celebrating like they won the game on 3rd down?

58 minutes ago, Shanahan's Horseshoe said:

How is seeing a pattern of these kinds of losses oversimplifying “winning in the NFL”.  Is there a more tired platitude than, “it tough to win in the NFL”?  

How is 3 years of underachievement in 3 straight playoffs and the way we’re losing games this year short sighted”?  If anything 3 years is quite the sample set.  What happened at the end of the Houston game 3 years ago?  Did we even show up for the AFCG vs the Chiefs?  

13 seconds?  Now let’s do this year.  The pattern is clear as day.  He’s Andy Reid with the Eagles.  Very good coach with an unbelievable knack for one side of the ball.  But ultimately a coach who will underachieve in big spots with the better team.  

Perfectly said.  We gave clappy a pass for the 16-0 lead loss in Houston. We saw our defense get shredded by KC in 2020. We chalked up not pooching with 13s to poor communication....poor execution blah blah. Now as many Bills fans have accurately acknowledged,  he's over corrected from conservative to aggressive by not kicking that 4th quarter fg.  Josh Allen’s athleticism gets us in the playoffs but great coaches help win Lombardis. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

1 minute ago, LABILLBACKER said:

Perfectly said.  We gave clappy a pass for the 16-0 lead loss in Houston. We saw our defense get shredded by KC in 2020. We chalked up not pooching with 13s to poor communication....poor execution blah blah. Now as many Bills fans have accurately acknowledged,  he's over corrected from conservative to aggressive by not kicking that 4th quarter fg.  Josh Allen’s athleticism gets us in the playoffs but great coaches help win Lombardis. 

I can’t imagine what a coach like McV, Shanny, Hoodie, Harbaugh with Allen would be like, they would be darn near unstoppable. 

The Titans with Allen and Henry likely don’t lose a game. 

1 hour ago, Shanahan's Horseshoe said:

McD is gonna squander all this talent.  3 years in a row he’s had us flame out in the playoffs.  This season is a perfect microcosm of his coaching.  Losing to inferior teams.  Losing with games in complete control.  Poor in game decisions.  And the most important one, he still doesn’t understand that his best player doesn’t how to regulate his play.  He’s like a ferrari with no breaks.   You need to control him through play calling (not neuter him), go for FGs and don’t make the whole team dependent on his play.  McD will never be a championship coach.  Great DB coach?  Yes.  Good coach?  Yes.  If the Bills don’t win the SB this year, go get Peyton.  

I agree 100% with your opinion and analysis. Well done. 

• Like (+1) 1

Based on our turnovers, team discipline has been an issue all season. In the early games we had large enough leads that they didn't hurt us. We also have gotten away from the short, high percentage quick passes that worked so well for us earlier this season. It makes Josh less vulnerable to the pass rush, eats clock and lead to tds. Also do we even have a screen pass play when we recognize blitzing situations? We never effectively execute one.

• Agree 2

3 minutes ago, Sestak4ever said:

Based on our turnovers, team discipline has been an issue all season. In the early games we had large enough leads that they didn't hurt us. We also have gotten away from the short, high percentage quick passes that worked so well for us earlier this season. It makes Josh less vulnerable to the pass rush, eats clock and lead to tds. Also do we even have a screen pass play when we recognize blitzing situations? We never effectively execute one.

Are you not a fan of the fake screen, throw it in the dirt play we run multiple times per game?

• Haha (+1) 1

I don’t think he has any power.  I think Beane does and the only fault I can see Beane having is that he’s a little too loyal sometimes.  Not a bad thing in life but according to Bill Walsh and the coach with the most SBs in NFL history,  it will could cost you championships.  So unfortunately I think you’re right he won’t be fired unless there’s something behind the scenes that we are unaware of.   

Clearly, this organization is not ready to fire McDermott.  Not yet.

But I have been saying, now going on 2 years, that SOME DAY Pegula is going to have to make a judgment on McDermott.  If the ring fails to materialize, at some point, Pegula will have to do something about it.

Where his personal breaking point is, I don't know.  And it's clear we're not at the point NOW.

But after another disappointing bow out of the playoffs?  Maybe in embarrassing fashion as we did last year?

Is that enough?  How about after 2 more playoff defeats? 

McDermott should be REQUIRED to win a SB at some point, or pay for that failure with his job.

Anything less than that is amateur hour.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

How is seeing a pattern of these kinds of losses oversimplifying “winning in the NFL”.  Is there a more tired platitude than, “it tough to win in the NFL”?  

How is 3 years of underachievement in 3 straight playoffs and the way we’re losing games this year short sighted”?  If anything 3 years is quite the sample set.  What happened at the end of the Houston game 3 years ago?  Did we even show up for the AFCG vs the Chiefs?  

13 seconds?  Now let’s do this year.  The pattern is clear as day.  He’s Andy Reid with the Eagles.  Very good coach with an unbelievable knack for one side of the ball.  But ultimately a coach who will underachieve in big spots with the better team.  

Again you are spot on. I can't say it better myself. So many people are blinded by the success MCD has had making the playoffs. So many aren't able to look past this and see the guy has choked away several playoff games. The guy just doesn't seem to have what it takes to get to the Super Bowl yet win one. This year is becoming clearer that Coach McD will likely not get it done again. One thing is know that Peyton can get it done! I think his experience with great QBs and his offensive mind is just what the Bills needs. I'd be fine with McD as the defensive coordinator. I mean look at what Daboll is doing with a sub par team in NY. It's beginning to look like Daboll was the mastermind behind the Bills success rather than MCD. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

It's so inconsistent.  We're either playing scared or conservative, or bold/aggressive when it's totally inappropriate.

It almost feels like the staff is thinking too much about how calls will be perceived, and just not establishing their own identity in terms of how they want to approach the game. Maybe that's reading too much into it, but they just seem all over the place.  

• Like (+1) 1

This is the first time all year I will lay this one almost entirely on coaching. The situational awareness today is what cost us the win. Not blitzing on 4th and 18, going for it on the 4th down after not running on second or third, not ensuring Lewis knows it is simply a knock the ball down moment. Too many situational problems that coaches have to fix. 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, Coach Tuesday said:

The problem is he’s basically unfireable unless they flame out for the next three years.  Ownership is weak and has zero track records.  In many ways McDermott has more power, albeit less authority, than Terry.

McD is just good enough to keep around. Seems unlikely to bring home a Lombardi Trophy. 

• Angry 1
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, ALLinALLEN said:

"With McDermott’s Bills, they learn tough lessons, vow to fix it and be better, and then continue to make the same mistakes over and over in close games. Rinse, repeat."

Saw this on twitter and couldnt agree more...

Short, sweet, and 100% accurate.

7 minutes ago, Nextmanup said:

Clearly, this organization is not ready to fire McDermott.  Not yet.

But I have been saying, now going on 2 years, that SOME DAY Pegula is going to have to make a judgment on McDermott.  If the ring fails to materialize, at some point, Pegula will have to do something about it.

Where his personal breaking point is, I don't know.  And it's clear we're not at the point NOW.

But after another disappointing bow out of the playoffs?  Maybe in embarrassing fashion as we did last year?

Is that enough?  How about after 2 more playoff defeats? 

McDermott should be REQUIRED to win a SB at some point, or pay for that failure with his job.

Anything less than that is amateur hour.

The key question is how many more chances?  This team is easily the most talented roster in the NFL but key players are getting older.  Josh is gonna age faster than pocket Qbs. Love him but he has no brakes and routinely puts himself in harm’s way. So if not this year you gotta realize that McD ain’t it, he’s Levy 2.0.

Thing I like most about McD and Beane is the culture and atmosphere that they’ve created here in Buffalo.

Is McD as good a coach as Bill Belichick? No, but he’s created a positive environment for his players, coaches and staff to thrive in. And as far as McD vs the field goes, you can do a lot, I repeat, A LOT worse than having Sean McD as your HC.

The one thing that must get worked out though is our problems on offense, but I believe that McD/Beane deserve every chance under the sun to right that ship. Dorsey may grow into that role, he may not.

• Like (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, Roundybout said:

Forgive me for interrupting the anti-McD circlejerk here, but he ain't going anywhere barring a complete collapse, like a 6-11 record collapse. 

Besides, he doesn't call offense, which Dorsey does. 

Most have already said he isn't going anywhere. You are late to the circle jerk! Maybe you can join coach McD and break one off...

Knock the ball down. Poyer Hyde would have yelled this up coaching too but our coaches are PAID handsomely. 

I frankly shouldn’t be able to yell at my TV before and see awareness mistakes.

I frankly have no idea how to coach but

4 times I yelled big deals pre snap.   

• Agree 1

4 minutes ago, Shanahan's Horseshoe said:

The key question is how many more chances?  This team is easily the most talented roster in the NFL but key players are getting older.  Josh is gonna age faster than pocket Qbs. Love him but he has no brakes and routinely puts himself in harm’s way. So if not this year you gotta realize that McD ain’t it, he’s Levy 2.0.

At least Levy took the Bills to the Super Bowl. MCD can't even be the team to the AFC championship game. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.