Poor coaching by McDermott is becoming a theme

Einstein

9 minutes ago, teef said:

nonsense.  he's certainly not a perfect coach and he needs to improve in certain areas of his game, but the criticism he gets from certain posters is insane.  for no reason at all, you just don't like that he's tied in with improving the culture.  why?

so...you don't think filthybeast has an agenda?

To be honest I don't know because I don't follow posters. 

1 minute ago, Billsfan1972 said:

What more can I say to defend him?  I said he's improved and given him props and kudos.  

My comment was to those who seldom question him and say he's 100% responsible for all this (yes paraphrasing).

I also said all coaches make mistakes.

I dont think there is a poster on the board that thinks McD is perfect.  Everyone knows the guy makes mistakes.  Most people recognize that he is also a damn good coach and probably one of the best in the league.  Andy Reid was fired.  He was also criticized heavily for coaching decisions in both Philly and KC until he won the big one.  Even during Mahomes first couple years.

1 hour ago, SoTier said:

IMO, McDermott's early hiring miscues resulted from his inability to hire top quality offensive assistants with the money allotted to the coaching budgets in 2017 and 2018 rather than offensive cluelessness.

When McDermott was hired in 2017, he came into a situation with a GM who was mainly a talent scout because team budgets, including for the coaching staff, were set by the FO  bean counters under Russ Brandon, whose priority was maximizing profits not winning football games.   McDermott was instrumental in the hiring of Brandon Beane after Doug Whaley was fired after the 2017 draft.   Beane had somewhat more power than Whaley, but he didn't gain full GM powers, including the ability to control the budgets for coaching and scouting staffs, until after Russ Brandon was fired in mid-2018.  

McDermott and Beane hired Brian Daboll in 2018 and then selected Allen in the 2018 draft.  After the 2018 season, all of the offensive assistants except for Daboll were fired, and more and better (ie, more expensive) offensive assistants were hired, including Ken Dorsey as QB coach.   It was in 2019 under Dorsey's tutelage that Allen began to develop into a competent NFL QB.

I am not sure it had anything to do with budgets. I am sure I remember that Rex's second year the Bills had one of highest pay bills for a coaching staff in the entire league. I don't think since the Pegulas bought the team that has ever been a problem. It was much more reputation IMHO.

How attractive is a first time Head Coach, in a cold city, small market, with a team on the longest post season drought in the league and a history of firing coaches? It meant that first staff generally had to be guys who knew Sean and had some personal loyalty to him / trusted him or guys who had no other options. Remember his first OC search? He wanted Mike McCoy as his first choice (bullet dodged he is awful). He chose to go back to Denver for a second stint instead. Then he wanted Brad Childress who was co-OC with Matt Nagy in Kansas City (and bearing in mind Andy is the playcaller that is a bag carriee role) and Childress declined to even take the interview. Then he wanted Greg Olson who took a QB Coach job with the Rams rather than come here. He was left with Dennison.

It was a staff of people he had connections with or people whose stock was low. 

Rick Dennison OC (just been fired as OC in Denver and his buddy Kubiak was retiring). 

Juan Castillo OL (worked with McD before)

David Culley QB (worked with McD before)

Kelly Skipper RB (just been fired in Jacksonville)

Phil McGeoghan WR (hired from East Carolina University so one can imagine had crossed paths with McDermott in some way while he was with the Panthers)

Rob Boras TE (probably the biggest "get" at the time a respected Tight Ends coach but had a disastrous year as OC in LA and had been fired)

Leslie Frazier (worked with McD before)

Mike Waufle (had just been fired in LA)

Bobby Babich DB (worked as a defensive quality control guy for McD in Carolina)

Bob Babich LB (Bobby's dad)

It was not an attractive place to come. Only 4 are still here. Frazier, Babich Jnr, Boras and Skipper. Chad Hall our current WR coach was on that staff in a junior post as an Offensive Assistant too. 

The likes of Joe Brady and Aaron Kromer were not walking throught the door in 2017. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

12 minutes ago, Billsfan1972 said:

What more can I say to defend him?  I said he's improved and given him props and kudos.  

My comment was to those who seldom question him and say he's 100% responsible for all this (yes paraphrasing).

I also said all coaches make mistakes.

i don't think a single poster said his 100% responsible for this, or anything remotely close.  it's mcd, josh, beane, the staff, and all the guys on the team.  it's a group effort, but mcd is the one who has to be the ring leader.   if you don't love mcd as a coach, i don't have a problem with it.  i just don't get the vitriol some have over a coach who as done well.  not perfect, but this team is in good shape.

11 minutes ago, newcam2012 said:

To be honest I don't know because I don't follow posters. 

you told me you didn't think anyone has an agenda, yet you don't follow posters?  quite frankly, it's impossible to ignore certain posters.  mostly because they shove their opinion down your throat.  

50 minutes ago, Scott7975 said:

You should really self reflect on your posting if you think you are only 30% negative.  I asked you to show me a positive post before 

Here are the topics of every thread I have ever started

- I’m proud of this team!

- Weather forecast thread for Patriots game

- Tweet from Josh Allen 

- Schedule makers gave us an advantage 

- AFC East Power Rankings 

- Josh Allen hitting a home run

- Funny Josh Allen video 

- Internet rumor about Bills being concerned about Elam

- Poll about who will win 1st game of season

- Allen was amazing despite what coverage the Rams showed him

- Coin tosses contributed to KC loss

- Cool Bills/Beatles photo

- Study on ACL injuries and whether players are the same after (Tre White)

- Could Aaron Donald miss Week 1 due to helmet swinging?

- What Daboll did in the final seconds of Giants game 

- Titans player says PFF raises grades if players pay them

- Video of Dolphins fans saying they want to face the Bills

- The short yardage conundrum

- Are the Bills too conservative about injuries?

- Cole Beasleys Buffalo home is for sale

- Poor coaching by McDermott is becoming a theme

- Thread talking about how I was sad we lost to the Chiefs and the season being over 

- Does part of you miss losing (poorly worded… do you miss the excitement of close games, checking the playoff calculator, draft stuff, etc)

- Game theory and situational game awareness and how it is our achilles heal

- McDermotts defensive timeouts are not working 

How many of those are actually “negative”? 20%? 30% at most? I think you pay attention to the negative threads more-so than the positive or neutral threads and assign far too much weight to them.

I think if you look at the list above you can see that i’m a fairly balanced poster. I have threads where critique the team.Threads where I celebrate the team. Threads where I mourn the team. 

27 minutes ago, Rochesterfan said:

It is not necessarily for you - we all do it.  We pitch our tents on a mountain/hill and die there.

Says the person who was shown (with proof) that “surviving the ground” was removed from the NFL rule book, and instead of admitting he was mistaken, continues to argue the point.

Edited by Einstein

5 minutes ago, Einstein said:

- Tweet from Josh Allen 

- Funny Josh Allen video 

- Thread talking about how I was sad we lost to the Chiefs and the season being over 

- Does part of you miss losing (poorly worded… do you miss the excitement of close games, checking the playoff calculator, draft stuff, etc)

How many of those are actually “negative”? 20%? 30% at most? I think you pay attention to the negative threads more-so than the positive or neutral threads and assign far too much weight to them.

I think if you look at the list above you can see that i’m a fairly balanced poster. I have threads where critique the team.Threads where I celebrate the team. Threads where I mourn the team. 

Are you purposefully highjacking your own thread? Positive, negative, whatever at least be relevant to the topic instead of bumping your own threads and patting your back. 
Poor threads are becoming a theme. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, WyoAZBillfan said:

Are you purposefully highjacking your own thread? Positive, negative, whatever at least be relevant to the topic instead of bumping your own threads and patting your back. 
Poor threads are becoming a theme. 

Are you joking? Why would I bump this thread after a win where the coaches were fantastic in halftime adjustments?

Use your eyes and go back a page and you can see that other posts bumped this thread in order to mock me.

7 minutes ago, Einstein said:

Are you joking? Why would I bump this thread after a win where the coaches were fantastic in halftime adjustments?

Use your eyes and go back a page and you can see that other posts bumped this thread in order to mock me.

I had “went back pages “looking for relevant information, or conversation about the temperature of the coaching decisions. Unfortunately most of the posts were nothing but a poster justifying threads. As quoted previously with one of said posts. 
Also there is a thread on great adjustments made as well🤷🏼‍♂️ 
What my eyes show me is a thread that should be buried at this point as I’m now adding to the garbage and not the topic

• Like (+1) 1

30 minutes ago, Einstein said:

- Tweet from Josh Allen 

- Funny Josh Allen video 

Says the person who was shown (with proof) that “surviving the ground” was removed from the NFL rule book, and instead of admitting he was mistaken, continues to argue the point.

I dunno.  Id have to read your actual posts in all those threads to see and I am not about to do that.  Not worth my time.  Thread titles dont account for your entire post history either so you thinking you are going to pass a handful of thread titles compared to your 1.3k posts and pass it off as you are only 20-30% negative is being disingenuous.

• Like (+1) 1

46 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

I am not sure it had anything to do with budgets. I am sure I remember that Rex's second year the Bills had one of highest pay bills for a coaching staff in the entire league. I don't think since the Pegulas bought the team that has ever been a problem. It was much more reputation IMHO.

How attractive is a first time Head Coach, in a cold city, small market, with a team on the longest post season drought in the league and a history of firing coaches? It meant that first staff generally had to be guys who knew Sean and had some personal loyalty to him / trusted him or guys who had no other options. Remember his first OC search? He wanted Mike McCoy as his first choice (bullet dodged he is awful). He chose to go back to Denver for a second stint instead. Then he wanted Brad Childress who was co-OC with Matt Nagy in Kansas City (and bearing in mind Andy is the playcaller that is a bag carriee role) and Childress declined to even take the interview. Then he wanted Greg Olson who took a QB Coach job with the Rams rather than come here. He was left with Dennison.

It was a staff of people he had connections with or people whose stock was low. 

Rick Dennison OC (just been fired as OC in Denver and his buddy Kubiak was retiring). 

Juan Castillo OL (worked with McD before)

David Culley QB (worked with McD before)

Kelly Skipper RB (just been fired in Jacksonville)

Phil McGeoghan WR (hired from East Carolina University so one can imagine had crossed paths with McDermott in some way while he was with the Panthers)

Rob Boras TE (probably the biggest "get" at the time a respected Tight Ends coach but had a disastrous year as OC in LA and had been fired)

Leslie Frazier (worked with McD before)

Mike Waufle (had just been fired in LA)

Bobby Babich DB (worked as a defensive quality control guy for McD in Carolina)

Bob Babich LB (Bobby's dad)

It was not an attractive place to come. Only 4 are still here. Frazier, Babich Jnr, Boras and Skipper. Chad Hall our current WR coach was on that staff in a junior post as an Offensive Assistant too. 

The likes of Joe Brady and Aaron Kromer were not walking throught the door in 2017. 

Fair enough.   I think that the spending by Ryan was an outlier because the Bills almost always hired first time HCs (Gregg Williams, Mike Mularkey) or retreads (Dick Jauron, Chan Gailey).  McDermott seemed to signal a return to the same old-same old mindset.  I think that Pegula turning over control of the team over to Beane after firing Brandon enabled McDermott to hire better assistants in 2019 because he could not only offer them more competitive salaries but also signaled to the rest of the league that the new Bills regime put a priority on winning not just making a profit.  

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, teef said:

i don't think a single poster said his 100% responsible for this, or anything remotely close.  it's mcd, josh, beane, the staff, and all the guys on the team.  it's a group effort, but mcd is the one who has to be the ring leader.   if you don't love mcd as a coach, i don't have a problem with it.  i just don't get the vitriol some have over a coach who as done well.  not perfect, but this team is in good shape.

you told me you didn't think anyone has an agenda, yet you don't follow posters?  quite frankly, it's impossible to ignore certain posters.  mostly because they shove their opinion down your throat.  

To be honest I an not familiar with a lot of the posters on here. I often scroll through the posts pretty quickly unless one grabs my attention. I'm really not aware of Einstein's behavior whether good bad or indifferent. I have a hard enough time taking care of myself and my posts. I'm really not here to defend or offend anyone. I just like good knowledgeable football talk. 

• Like (+1) 1

What a masterclass in strategy and execution in the last 4:00+ minutes.

This coaching staff and this roster managed a dream end of game scenario on the road against a playoff caliber team.

Most of us know exactly how it is supposed to be done, and have watched hundreds of Bills games and rarely if ever see our team do it.

Every once in a while you see other teams with cagey championship level coaches and All-Pro QBs do this and wonder why we can't have nice things too.

Well it was McDermott and Buffalo's turn. What a completely wonderful thing to watch your team do. Strategy, execution, everyone understood what had to be done, and did it.

McDermott and Co. may be learning. Comeback victory from double digits down, ran the clock out to 0:00 at the end and won a 1 score game. All against a playoff level team, with an MVP QB and Championship level coach. Our guys were the ones making and executing the right calls to leave the other team helpless. This game may be one of the 5 most important victories McBeane have had to date.

I'm very impressed. A big step forward as a coach and staff.

• Like (+1) 1

7 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

KC and Tampa I am giving you. TEN was not a bad spot, it was an OL that got blown up. Miami they were in attemptable FG range at least and then the RT got beat and so committed a gratuitous holding penalty. In Jacksonville they gave up a terrible sack. At home to the Patriots Josh got hit on his last two pass attempts as he released the ball. The constant in four of those seven defeats is scrub OLine men getting beat and killing drives. 

Let's add the Houston playoff game where the defense gave up a double digit lead, but Buffalo was driving for the game winning score and Cody Ford gets called for a penalty that puts them out of FG range.

The OL is a constant sore spot that gets band-aids applied every off season. It must be addressed, and a few of us on here have been pointing this out for 2-3 years now.

• Agree 1

There's always got to be the one that is B**CHING for god sake the Bills have been in the play offs pretty much ever since McD got here & this guy is still B**CHING i bet he'd B**CH if you hung him with a new rope ...

Carry on !! 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, SoTier said:

Fair enough.   I think that the spending by Ryan was an outlier because the Bills almost always hired first time HCs (Gregg Williams, Mike Mularkey) or retreads (Dick Jauron, Chan Gailey).  McDermott seemed to signal a return to the same old-same old mindset.  I think that Pegula turning over control of the team over to Beane after firing Brandon enabled McDermott to hire better assistants in 2019 because he could not only offer them more competitive salaries but also signaled to the rest of the league that the new Bills regime put a priority on winning not just making a profit.  

The Pegulas were never scared to spend money. 

• Like (+1) 1

18 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

What were the adjustments we made on both sides of the ball yesterday?

Haven't watched the all22 yet to get a better understanding. Normally out tomorrow. On offense some of it was we just settled in and executed. It was very frantic early. On defense we seemes to get a grip of the inside run game a little better 2nd half. Made them bounce everything which gave Edmunds and Milano and Taron time to get up to it and tackle. And then when you need your playmakers to make plays Josh Allen and Jordan Poyer made them. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

2 hours ago, RocCityRoller said:

What a masterclass in strategy and execution in the last 4:00+ minutes.

This coaching staff and this roster managed a dream end of game scenario on the road against a playoff caliber team.

Most of us know exactly how it is supposed to be done, and have watched hundreds of Bills games and rarely if ever see our team do it.

Was absolutely beautiful to watch. You can even see Singletary go down at the 3 yard line at the end instead of going in for the TD. 

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.