Poor coaching by McDermott is becoming a theme

Einstein

13 minutes ago, CodeMonkey said:

I completely disagree. His teams offense had done exactly squat in the 2nd half, nothing, zilch.  Zero points, zero anything.  What made him (or you then) think his team was going to magically get it together on that one play?  Take the 3 and force the Bills to score or lose.  As it was, if things looked bad during that last drive all the Bills had to do is let it go to overtime.  Big mindset difference than needing to score or lose the game.  But I will say it was nice to have the opposing coach make game losing mistakes. And yes, the receiver was open early, but like the rest of the 2nd half the Ravens F'd it up.

I assume you disagreed with McD's correct call to go for it om 4th down vs. Tennessee last year too. When you have QB's like Josh or Lamar, you go for it. 

• Disagree 1

38 minutes ago, Einstein said:

I think it’s more so that many people on this forum can’t accept any conversation that is critical of any facet of the Bills organization. The Bills can do no wrong in their eyes and we should not talk about anything negative. I even had a moderator call my posts “spewing” because I posting a thread about my concerns of the coaching staff. 

To further prove this point, I have started 26 threads (ever). About 70% of them are positive/pro-Bills. None of the “no negative talk” people remember those threads. They latch onto the 30% that talk about things that need to get better.

Its just human nature when it comes to fandom, I suppose.

Feels good.

you're not a victim.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 2

12 minutes ago, CodeMonkey said:

I completely disagree. His teams offense had done exactly squat in the 2nd half, nothing, zilch.  Zero points, zero anything.  What made him (or you then) think his team was going to magically get it together on that one play?  Take the 3 and force the Bills to score or lose.  As it was, if things looked bad during that last drive all the Bills had to do is let it go to overtime.  Big mindset difference than needing to score or lose the game.  But I will say it was nice to have the opposing coach make game losing mistakes. And yes, the receiver was open early, but like the rest of the 2nd half the Ravens F'd it up.

I think it's a close call on whether to kick the FG or go for it. Both sides have merit. As you said, the Ravens didn't do much offensively in the 2nd half. However, the drive in question started at the Ravens 5 yard line. They were methodically marching down the field. Additionally, their defense wasn't playing great and the Bills offense with Allen looked confident. For me, I could feel the "Allen swagger" sort of speak. One thing that was concerning was the pressure and duress Allen was under. I had mixed feelings when they were going for it. I was leaning towards wanting the Ravens to kick the FG. I felt as though the Bills had a great chance to tie the game and a 50 50 chance to score a TD. However, if they missed on 4th down, I felt like the Bills chances to win would sky rocket even starting inside their own 5 yard line. I think Allen would have been unstoppable. Poyer got the pick and the Bills started at the 20. I was elated and the rest is history. What a great finish!

4 hours ago, Rock-A-Bye Beasley said:

ok, but who wouldn't be good with JA?

Obviously, you don't remember the Josh Allen as a rookie.  The only thing he had going for him as a rookie was his wlilingness to do whatever it took to win games.  He had a big arm, but he was inaccurate.  He personified the undisciplined playing style called "hero ball" that backfires at least as often as it succeeds.   Most pundits did figured he was going to be a bust. 

While most of Allen's success are the result of his own efforts, you cannot discount the guidance he got from McDermott's assistants, most notably, Ken Dorsey and Brian Daboll in improving his mechanics and learning to read defenses but also in mastering his tendency to become overly excited during games.  If you look back on Allen's career, you realize that it took him about 2 1/2 seasons to become the Josh Allen who can march his team down the field in the closing minutes of a game to set up the winning FG with double zeroes on the clock. 

3 hours ago, Rock-A-Bye Beasley said:

david Culley was the QB coach. Nathan peterman was the starter. McDermott has no idea what he’s doing on offense. He’s lucky to have Josh Allen and that’s fine. Especially if he wanted him. 

edit: Bills have played Baltimore many times since

IMO, McDermott's early hiring miscues resulted from his inability to hire top quality offensive assistants with the money allotted to the coaching budgets in 2017 and 2018 rather than offensive cluelessness.

When McDermott was hired in 2017, he came into a situation with a GM who was mainly a talent scout because team budgets, including for the coaching staff, were set by the FO  bean counters under Russ Brandon, whose priority was maximizing profits not winning football games.   McDermott was instrumental in the hiring of Brandon Beane after Doug Whaley was fired after the 2017 draft.   Beane had somewhat more power than Whaley, but he didn't gain full GM powers, including the ability to control the budgets for coaching and scouting staffs, until after Russ Brandon was fired in mid-2018.  

McDermott and Beane hired Brian Daboll in 2018 and then selected Allen in the 2018 draft.  After the 2018 season, all of the offensive assistants except for Daboll were fired, and more and better (ie, more expensive) offensive assistants were hired, including Ken Dorsey as QB coach.   It was in 2019 under Dorsey's tutelage that Allen began to develop into a competent NFL QB.

Edited by SoTier
  • Like (+1) 1

36 minutes ago, FLFan said:

Poor you.

He is 100% correct. Most constructive criticism of the Bills aren't welcome here. Be prepared for a backlash. Labeled as a hater, a fan of another team,  a troll, and getting banned for the smallest of technicalities. I think most here aren't looking for sympathy or playing the victim. Rather some feel they can't or shouldn't express  negativity due to the consequences. 

Edited by newcam2012
  • Eyeroll 1

18 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

Are you concerned about Elam?

not as much as others apparently.

5 minutes ago, newcam2012 said:

He is 100% correct. Most constructive criticism of the Bills aren't welcome here. Be prepared for a backlash. Labeled as a hater, a fan of another team,  a troll, and getting banned for the smallest of technicalities. I think most here aren't looking for sympathy or playing the victim. Rather some feel they can't or shouldn't express  negativity due to the consequences. 

the constructive criticism is very welcome.  it's the people who purposely post threads to start drama, and no matter how many decent points are made otherwise, they want to hammer away at the drama.  i've seen many people criticize this team and not get blasted.  why?  they do it in an intelligent manner.  it's pretty obvious who is who, so the victim mentality is bull####.

• Like (+1) 5

12 minutes ago, newcam2012 said:

He creates threads like "do you miss losing" and "concerns about Elam after his first ever game" and "too conservative on injuries" when Benford had a broken hand and Spencer Brown had heat exhaustion....it's just not very good threads.

He's had other really bad (a lot actually) and defends them firmly.  What other response are you expecting?  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

14 minutes ago, newcam2012 said:

Not every critique thread gets a huge amount of backlash.  It's just that most critique threads are overly neurotic and fatalistic with not much basis in reality, and usually they are unsubstantiated with facts. 

You won't find much disagreement that we need better push from the interior OL in our short run game, for example.  But then we also get multiple threads about rookies being busts when they've played one or two NFL games.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 2

2 minutes ago, SageAgainstTheMachine said:

Not every critique thread gets a huge amount of backlash.  It's just that most critique threads are overly neurotic and fatalistic with not much basis in reality, and usually they are unsubstantiated with facts. 

You won't find much disagreement that we need better push from the interior OL in our short run game, for example.  But then we also get multiple threads about rookies being busts when they've played one or two NFL games.

Amen to that!

6 hours ago, Rock-A-Bye Beasley said:

ok, but who wouldn't be good with JA?

Rex Ryan.  What does it matter?  McD got this team to the playoffs with Tyrod Taylor and Nate Peterman at QB with Zay Jones as the #1 receiver and some other nobody.

Edited by Scott7975

39 minutes ago, teef said:

not as much as others apparently.

the constructive criticism is very welcome.  it's the people who purposely post threads to start drama, and no matter how many decent points are made otherwise, they want to hammer away at the drama.  i've seen many people criticize this team and not get blasted.  why?  they do it in an intelligent manner.  it's pretty obvious who is who, so the victim mentality is bull####.

No it's not. I know many who feel otherwise. Your insight here is off here. It allows you and others to go on the attack. Who makes the distinction you are saying? Where is the line drawn? How can you prove what you are claiming? 

Hi back and look at my posts and see the attacks I received. Many were way out there saying I'm a fan of another time, attacking me personally, etc...Totally false! I do accept the professional criticism frim many on here. I clearly went way overboard and beat a dead horse. I keep my mouth shut and took their advice. 

1 hour ago, Motor26 said:

I assume you disagreed with McD's correct call to go for it om 4th down vs. Tennessee last year too. When you have QB's like Josh or Lamar, you go for it. 

i get what you are saying but the situation was different.

If Baltimore was down by 3 they would kick the FG.

Baltimore looked at the odds of going for a TD in a close game. If they kicked a FG buffalo could drive down for a TD.  They did not expect Lamar to through a pick allowing buffalo to not start from inside their 5.

buffalo was playing to burn the clock and just get a FG once thry got in FG range and it was around 2 minutes left.

2 hours ago, billsfanmiamioh said:

Theres a subset of Bills fans that will never be happy. They’d be calling into GR during the super bowl parade calling for the coaches head because he “wasted” a timeout or something. 

We have one that started this thread and also started a thread about it was better when the Bills were losing.

That is the subset of fans we are dealing with.

You are correct - they will never be happy and will complain about everything with coaching until we are back to the Jaurons and Rex Ryan’s and last in the division.

• Like (+1) 3

2 hours ago, MAJBobby said:

Yeah and they would be completely inaccurate. 

Harbaugh was 100% correct going for it. And you know what it was 7 if Lamar wasn’t SO LATE LATE LATE with the ball. 

Duverney was WIDE OPEN from jump they never covered him. 

It was also 7 if Lamar looked to the left off the snap with a wide open guy.

2 hours ago, Einstein said:

I think it’s more so that many people on this forum can’t accept any conversation that is critical of any facet of the Bills organization. The Bills can do no wrong in their eyes and we should not talk about anything negative. I even had a moderator call my posts “spewing” because I posting a thread about my concerns of the coaching staff. 

To further prove this point, I have started 26 threads (ever). About 70% of them are positive/pro-Bills. None of the “no negative talk” people remember those threads. They latch onto the 30% that talk about things that need to get better.

Its just human nature when it comes to fandom, I suppose.

Feels good.

You should really self reflect on your posting if you think you are only 30% negative.  I asked you to show me a positive post before and you linked me to a post where you were positive about something meaningless and then criticized McD in the same post.  You could have shown me any post you wanted and you chose that one.  SMH.

Edited by Scott7975
  • Haha (+1) 2

18 minutes ago, newcam2012 said:

No it's not. I know many who feel otherwise. Your insight here is off here. It allows you and others to go on the attack. Who makes the distinction you are saying? Where is the line drawn? How can you prove what you are claiming? 

Hi back and look at my posts and see the attacks I received. Many were way out there saying I'm a fan of another time, attacking me personally, etc...Totally false! I do accept the professional criticism frim many on here. I clearly went way overboard and beat a dead horse. I keep my mouth shut and took their advice. 

i wasn't referring to you by the way.  and it absolutely is the case.  only a handful of posters are truly, "attacked".  it's not their message, it's their approach...and it's always the same few people.  where is the line drawn?  common sense.  

who can i prove it?  einstein was doing it yesterday.  he kept quoting losses in close games by mcd, but only from last year and this year.  why?  because it makes the situation seem more dire.  when asked why he didn't include any previous years, he said because it wasn't relevant.  why?  if you're going to discuss win/loss records about a coach, why not discuss his entire tenure here?  he knows what he's doing as most posters who get attacked do too.  

• Like (+1) 4

1 hour ago, newcam2012 said:

People are more than willing to have constructive criticism - he issue is the few that push a narrative, but do not really discuss.  They just keep stating the same incorrect garbage over and over - even when there has been concrete proof to show the other side.

For example - here was a huge complaint by a specific poster about how McD was to blame for not challenging the Davis “catch” in the Miami game.

Tons of proof as provided stating why it was not a TD, but the poster just kept repeating it was a catch with no poof.  It is fine to present your case, but when you are the only one that sees it a certain way and your whole reason is that is how you feel - maybe express yourself once or twice and then move on rather than making it crusade over and over.

• Like (+1) 2

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.