Poor coaching by McDermott is becoming a theme

Einstein

Again  McD has grown on me (yes I'll keep repeating this line), however like every coach he has his warts.  Great to win a close game after 7 losses where many could be blamed on coaching (in the last two minutes) in that time period.  

But this board have too many people with this mad crush on McD that I don't really get.  

• Agree 1

4 minutes ago, Rock-A-Bye Beasley said:

Huh? I’m confused. Not being facetious 

That was one of your claims in your 2018 thread. You wanted someone to give you a single reason not to be negative about the GM and coach because you couldn't see one. 

Just now, Billsfan1972 said:

Again  McD has grown on me (yes I'll keep repeating this line), however like every coach he has his warts.  Great to win a close game after 7 losses where many could be blamed on coaching (in the last two minutes) in that time period.  

But this board have too many people with this mad crush on McD that I don't really get.  

Not many. Kansas City, definitely. Tampa, arguably (certainly the losing play in OT was on Leslie Frazier). As I set out last week four of the 7 can be traced directly to major offensive line breakdowns on drives to win the game.  That is on personnel, not coaching. 

9 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

That was one of your claims in your 2018 thread. You wanted someone to give you a single reason not to be negative about the GM and coach because you couldn't see one. 

Not many. Kansas City, definitely. Tampa, arguably (certainly the losing play in OT was on Leslie Frazier). As I set out last week four of the 7 can be traced directly to major offensive line breakdowns on drives to win the game.  That is on personnel, not coaching. 

Ok it’s a miracle Josh worked out and I’ll kiss beane for taking a chance. I wanted Rosen based on draft experts’ scouting reports

bit it worked thanks to Josh working on himself

12 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

I agree too that Harbaugh made the right call going for it. Just to prove, by the way, that I am not arguing with you just to be contrarian. I only argue with you where I think you are wrong. 

If the Bills needed a touchdown at the end it is hard to believe they wouldn't have got it. The Ravens stopped them once all 2nd half. You have to try and put 7 up there and he might even have gone for 2 had they scored the touchdown. 

I’ll disagree. You kick the field goal and take the lead. If not, why/when do you ever kick a field goal then? You should always go for it. 

• Disagree 2

14 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

The constant is McD.  Tampa too if I remember there was the bad sequence to start OT (and a missed holding call on Diggs on third down too).  Vs. Tenn a bad spot on 3rd down was probably really what lost the game.  And I thought vs. Miami they did a poor job executing and time management.  No way should they not have gotten at least a fg attempt.   

Unfortunately too 13 seconds seared in my memory and McD (or the special teams or the defense, even calling two timeouts) made error after error.

Edited by Billsfan1972
  • Eyeroll 1
  • Agree 1

Just now, SoCal Deek said:

I’ll disagree. You kick the field goal and take the lead. If not, why/when do you ever kick a field goal then? You should always go for it. 

In that situation you have to know the clock is a factor. If the Bills drive down and score you are not getting the chance to respond. So you only kick the FG if you trust your defense to stop Buffalo. The Ravens went into yesterday the 32nd defense in the NFL and had struggled to stop us all second half. I think kick the FG and trust my defense is the wrong approach in those circumstances. 

• Disagree 1
  • Agree 3

50 minutes ago, Rock-A-Bye Beasley said:

david Culley was the QB coach. Nathan peterman was the starter. McDermott has no idea what he’s doing on offense. He’s lucky to have Josh Allen and that’s fine. Especially if he wanted him. 

edit: Bills have played Baltimore many times since

Not going to address that .621 winning percentage since you created that thread huh?

• Like (+1) 3

1 minute ago, Billsfan1972 said:

The constant is McD.  Tampa too if I remember there was the bad sequence to start OT (and a missed holding call on Diggs on third down too).  Vs. Tenn a bad spot on 3rd down was probably really what lost the game.  And I thought vs. Miami they did a poor job executing and time management.  No way should they not have gotten at least a fg attempt.   

KC and Tampa I am giving you. TEN was not a bad spot, it was an OL that got blown up. Miami they were in attemptable FG range at least and then the RT got beat and so committed a gratuitous holding penalty. In Jacksonville they gave up a terrible sack. At home to the Patriots Josh got hit on his last two pass attempts as he released the ball. The constant in four of those seven defeats is scrub OLine men getting beat and killing drives. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

2 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

In that situation you have to know the clock is a factor. If the Bills drive down and score you are not getting the chance to respond. So you only kick the FG if you trust your defense to stop Buffalo. The Ravens went into yesterday the 32nd defense in the NFL and had struggled to stop us all second half. I think kick the FG and trust my defense is the wrong approach in those circumstances. 

Pretty much proven as the Bills walked down the field.  

1 minute ago, GunnerBill said:

KC and Tampa I am giving you. TEN was not a bad spot, it was an OL that got blown up. Miami they were in attemptable FG range at least and then the RT got beat and so committed a gratuitous holding penalty. In Jacksonville they gave up a terrible sack. At home to the Patriots Josh got hit on his last two pass attempts as he released the ball. The constant in four of those seven defeats is scrub OLine men getting beat and killing drives. 

On third down, Allen got the First Down and they spotted him short.

• Agree 1

28 minutes ago, Billsfan1972 said:

it's not a mad crush for mcd.  it's just people not willing to ***** all over him because he doesn't have a super bowl yet.  he's a good coach who build a good culture.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

1 minute ago, teef said:

it's not a mad crush for mcd.  it's just people not willing to ***** all over him because he doesn't have a super bowl yet.  he's a good coach who build a good culture.  

And I agree, thought that culture word and how it was thrown around his first two years did grate on me.

2 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

I never thought he got it. 

He did.  Remember it is the ball not the body and he reached & got it in my opinion. 

If there had been a booth review too (last 2 minutes) that would have settled the Bills down regardless.  Lots of factor and I too agree it was the right call to win the game then (like Harbaugh yesterday).

15 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Correct. And this is a direct result of Beane's decision to prioritize DL over OL, not McDermott's coaching. 13 seconds, OTOH, is on McDermott. He REFUSES to take over the play calling in those situations, and Frazier crapped down his leg.

• Agree 1

9 minutes ago, Billsfan1972 said:

You used the word "culture".  You don't care, but sure others have found the term "culture" to describe McD "Grating".....   

and why is it grating?  don't you think this team needed a culture change?  do you not remember the ***** show this team was?  whether you or any other posters want to agree with it, mcd is a huge part in changing the mentality of this team. 

Edited by teef
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

2 minutes ago, teef said:

and why is it grating?  don't you think this team needed a culture change?  do you not remember the ***** how this team was?  whether you or any other posters want to agree with it, mcd is a huge part in changing the mentality of this team. 

Better question:

Why engage with someone who can't be happy after a win?

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.