Poor coaching by McDermott is becoming a theme

Einstein

25 minutes ago, Igotbills said:

Time management at end of half and end of game wasn’t great, which continues to be a theme. 

End of half there was a play that was in bounds with around 50 seconds with all 3 timeouts and we don’t take a timeout we lose about 15-20 seconds. We end up 1st and goal with only 13 seconds left and I believe still 2 timeouts. This probably leaves us only 2 plays at the endzone, maybe a 3rd if go for it and drain the clock.

End of game we are around the 50 with around 3- 3 1/2 minutes left and aren’t running the play clock down. Snapping the ball with 10-15 seconds left. it’s like we didn’t realize a field goal of wins the game until the last 3 plays. 

You're wrong.  In 1st half we had three timeouts and wanted to ensure ravens had no shot with their 1 timeout.  The bills calling a timeout there substantially increases the chances of the ravens getting points.

More importantly, the clock wasn't really the reason for not calling a timeout.  The players that the ravens had on the field combined with play calling left a favorable matchup for us.  Calling an unnecessary timeout when you have the potential for a mismatch would have been a coaching mistake.  The prior play was a run play.  We proceeded to take a shot down the field that the ravens covered well, but the result does not change the correctness of the call.  After the incompletion there was still over 30 seconds on the clock with us at the 28 and 3 timeouts. Your armchair coaching is shallow and uninformed.

In the 4th quarter we ran plays at 4:07, 3:35, and 2:59.  While they could have squeaked a few more seconds out, they were snapping under :10.  That's about right for 4 minute drill.  The rest of the drive was finished out about as perfect as it can be.  Nothing to see here...

1 minute ago, GunnerBill said:

Agree with all that and will add our offensive line is still a problem. Right side was bad again today. Bates spent a lot of time spinning like a top then falling on his ass and Brown's pass pro is ugly. At least having Mitch back we mostly snapped it properly and I do think Saffold looked slightly better than his horror show last week. 

When your OL is inconsistent it is hard for the offense to be inconsistent.

Thanks for consistently providing some color to line play.   I don't know how you see it in real time, but you see a lot that I miss.

• Like (+1) 2

4 hours ago, HappyDays said:

We've been outstanding on 3rd down conversions since 2020. It is absolutely sustainable because we have a freak show QB. That being said your point about early downs is correct. Singletary is just okay, Moss is terrible, Cook has made too many mistakes to trust him. So I don't know if a solution is coming this season.

Lol 2x the league average on 3rd and long at almost 70% is not sustainable in any form or fashion. If you believe that it is, you don't watch enough football. 

6 hours ago, John from Riverside said:

Einstein your posts are so bad do you think that a backhanded compliment to the coaches after all of the dung you have been spewing on this board somehow makes you positive

Seems like he enjoys finding negatives about every situation, as if all other teams coaches only make the best possible decisions every time.

6 hours ago, Igotbills said:

Time management at end of half and end of game wasn’t great, which continues to be a theme. 

End of half there was a play that was in bounds with around 50 seconds with all 3 timeouts and we don’t take a timeout we lose about 15-20 seconds. We end up 1st and goal with only 13 seconds left and I believe still 2 timeouts. This probably leaves us only 2 plays at the endzone, maybe a 3rd if go for it and drain the clock.

End of game we are around the 50 with around 3- 3 1/2 minutes left and aren’t running the play clock down. Snapping the ball with 10-15 seconds left. it’s like we didn’t realize a field goal of wins the game until the last 3 plays. 

Lol. You say one thing, but the results show something completely different. At the end of the 1st half they scored a TD with 9 seconds to go and at the end of the game they kicked a FG as time expires. That's about as perfect of a job of scoring AND draining the clock as one could ask for.

• Like (+1) 3

6 hours ago, Igotbills said:

Um what?  They literally scored the TD at the end of the first half leaving 9 seconds on the clock as well as ran the entire clock out to win the game at the end of the game.  You are complaining as if those things didnt happen.

2 hours ago, Big Turk said:

Seems like he enjoys finding negatives about every situation, as if all other teams coaches only make the best possible decisions every time.

I bet he thinks Andy Reid is one of the best coaches in the league.  Before Mahomes he was constantly criticized for making poor coaching decisions.

Edited by Scott7975

7 hours ago, HappyDays said:

In 3 out of 4 games the Bills defense has allowed ZERO points in the 2nd half. And we're doing it against really good NFL offenses. McDermott has his issues with some decision making in critical moments, but he is arguably the best coach in the league at making halftime adjustments. For anyone questioning that last statement, I'll say it again - ZERO 2nd half points by our opponent in 3 out of 4 games this year.

Hog wash. He sucks because the bills aren’t perfect. They should be 4-0 with zero points allowed and averaging 40 pts/game. 

Lots of hall of fame coaches hang out on this message board it seems. The guy is solid. Most teams would grab up MCD in a second if he was available. Is he perfect? Show me who is. You fans are either very young and don’t know jack OR your just trolls. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

7 hours ago, SACTOBILLSFAN said:

I’m still concerned with the offense. They’re so so unproductive on early downs that it’s putting them in a spot where the best QB in the league has to bail them out. They’re currently converting at more than 2X the league average in 3rd and 7+. That’s not sustainable at all. 

I think they need to stop switching the RBs.....Leave Singletary in  for the whole series...Singletary is our Best RB today and he should play without losing his rhythm

• Like (+1) 1

8 hours ago, HappyDays said:

Singletary is just okay, Moss is terrible, Cook has made too many mistakes to trust him. So I don't know if a solution is coming this season.

Sorry for being late to the thread.....

I think this is a two headed monster with blocking scheme/execution being a large contributing factor. I feel some of the linemen aren’t 100% . Brown especially seemed to be limited by his back through the first few games, including getting pulled out of one. Yesterday, he actually mauled someone to the ground while sealing off a run. It was encouraging to see.    

I’m also not sure Dorsey has an ability to scheme up good run blocking. 

For the life of all of us, it is infuriating to watch Moss run into the center of the line for 1 yard. In his defense, there aren’t holes but it doesn’t help that he is himself😒

I think the only wildcard we have is Cook. He has demonstrably more burst than Singletary. The fumble was the fumble. They need to figure out ways to get him the ball in space. Often, Josh uses the back as a dump off. How about four wides clearing out the underneath with zero intention of passing deep in order to set Cook up shallow 1 on 1. How, about 4 wides with Cook( or Motor) getting a chance to either pick an easy gap or shovel pass/quick hitting dump off. 

To my eye, a large part of these rushing woes seem like lack of emphasis/desire ( caused by the laziness induced by having Allen) and coaching stubbornness of not using a rookie.

9 hours ago, Igotbills said:

Early contender for post of the year here

I disagree totally with those criticising the end of 1st half clock management. I think they managed it perfectly. Now I will preface that with to an extent they were trying to dig themselves out of a hole slightly of their own making by choosing the ball at the toss. I get the explanation was "we thought the weather was going to turn even worse etc" but they should have deferred. 

If you possess the ball on the first drive of the game then one of your main objectives first half has to be prevent the double dip. So you have to possess the ball at the end of the half. And remember, the Ravens still had all 3 timeouts. The Bills, also with all 3 timeouts, converted a 3rd and 1 on the ground with Singletary at 1:01 remaining (50 odd seconds by the time the play was over). If you call timeout there, let's say :55, timeout. Now imagine your drive stalls here. Let's say pass incomplete first down. Now you are second and 10, :49 seconds. You think man we better chew some clock now so you call a run or a safe pass, gain 4 yards, Ravens call timeout. So you are now third and 6 :43 seconds. You have to pass on third down it goes incomplete. You kick a FG with :37 seconds left. The Ravens are getting the ball with upwards of 30 seconds and two timeouts. At worst you think they are getting into Justin Tucker range (anything within 60 yards) and your drive at the end of half is worth nothing. 

But by not calling timeout until you have converted another first down and now have 1st and 10 at the Baltimore 14 with :21 left you have pretty much taken Baltimore scoring points before half (other than a pick six or fumble recovery scoop and score) off the table. And you can still stop the clock twice. They ended up 1st and Goal from the 4, :13 left with two timeouts. Your whole playbook is available to you in that position and if you score the Ravens are kneeling on it. Which is exactly what happened. 

The Bills HAD to have twin objectives on that drive 1. Score. 2. Make it the last meaningful possession of the half. If the Bills were receiving the 2nd half kick I think it changes things a little bit. But They weren't. I loved the clock management on that drive. That is exactly how you should play it in that scenario IMO. 

The end of the game I have a bit more sympathy with the argument that they should have been bleeding the clock earlier on the drive. But they were at least smart at the very end. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 2

1 hour ago, GunnerBill said:

I disagree totally with those criticising the end of 1st half clock management. I think they managed it perfectly. Now I will preface that with to an extent they were trying to dig themselves out of a hole slightly of their own making by choosing the ball at the toss. I get the explanation was "we thought the weather was going to turn even worse etc" but they should have deferred. 

If you possess the ball on the first drive of the game then one of your main objectives first half has to be prevent the double dip. So you have to possess the ball at the end of the half. And remember, the Ravens still had all 3 timeouts. The Bills, also with all 3 timeouts, converted a 3rd and 1 on the ground with Singletary at 1:01 remaining (50 odd seconds by the time the play was over). If you call timeout there, let's say :55, timeout. Now imagine your drive stalls here. Let's say pass incomplete first down. Now you are second and 10, :49 seconds. You think man we better chew some clock now so you call a run or a safe pass, gain 4 yards, Ravens call timeout. So you are now third and 6 :43 seconds. You have to pass on third down it goes incomplete. You kick a FG with :37 seconds left. The Ravens are getting the ball with upwards of 30 seconds and two timeouts. At worst you think they are getting into Justin Tucker range (anything within 60 yards) and your drive at the end of half is worth nothing. 

But by not calling timeout until you have converted another first down and now have 1st and 10 at the Baltimore 14 with :21 left you have pretty much taken Baltimore scoring points before half (other than a pick six or fumble recovery scoop and score) off the table. And you can still stop the clock twice. They ended up 1st and Goal from the 4, :13 left with two timeouts. Your whole playbook is available to you in that position and if you score the Ravens are kneeling on it. Which is exactly what happened. 

The Bills HAD to have twin objectives on that drive 1. Score. 2. Make it the last meaningful possession of the half. If the Bills were receiving the 2nd half kick I think it changes things a little bit. But They weren't. I loved the clock management on that drive. That is exactly how you should play it in that scenario IMO. 

The end of the game I have a bit more sympathy with the argument that they should have been bleeding the clock earlier on the drive. But they were at least smart at the very end. 

I generally agree with everything said here, but I really like that they weren’t trying to bleed the clock earlier. I was nervous that they were just going to try to get into field goal range and not keep pushing forward. Even though all kicks were made, hitting a 35+ yard field goal was no gimmie, and pushing the pace just a little bit gave the sense they may be pushing for the touchdown as well. I liked that they got out of the huddle a little bit quicker, gave Josh a chance to look things over, and at the very least push for a closer field goal. They played it perfectly though 

44 minutes ago, Rock-A-Bye Beasley said:

ok, but who wouldn't be good with JA?

Of course JA makes coaches look good.  We also have the best 53-man roster in the league because of Beane and McDermott and the culture they brought in.  And the year that McD broke our 17 year playoff drought it was without Josh Allen and with possibly the worst roster to ever make the playoffs in NFL history.  That team was built to go 3-13.

• Agree 1

23 minutes ago, teef said:

Fun. 

Yes

1 minute ago, SageAgainstTheMachine said:

Of course JA makes coaches look good.  We also have the best 53-man roster in the league because of Beane and McDermott and the culture they brought in.  And the year that McD broke our 17 year playoff drought it was without Josh Allen and with possibly the worst roster to ever make the playoffs in NFL history.  That team was built to go 3-13.

Then why send Andy dalton so much money?

• Eyeroll 2

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.