Poor coaching by McDermott is becoming a theme

Einstein

Just now, JayBaller10 said:

The secondary played admirably and I commend them for it, but that playcall did them no favors. I suppose I would’nt be as upset if it was the first conservative approach that the Bills have been beaten on, but to see the pattern over and over in big moments is what has me at a loss. Ask yourself this, could you imagine being a defensive coordinator who’s playing the Bills and you rush 3 against a 3rd and 20+ while only leaving your two inexperienced safeties deep? I think everyone here would thank that defensive coordinator for the gift, but because it’s Frazier and he’s employed by the Bills, he gets more leeway.

Sorry, but I’m just going to agree to disagree here. Frazier and McDermott know what they are doing and their track record in how their defenses have played in Buffalo are proof of that. Big plays are going to happen and they happen to every team. Sometimes they happen in big moments. That is football.

• Agree 1
  • Dislike 1

19 hours ago, MJS said:

Then you are drunk. There is a 0.0% chance that McDermott will be on the hot seat after this year if they don't make the superbowl.

You clearly do not follow the league. You suffer from Bills myopia.

McDermott is already getting heat from some of the biggest national media figures (Cowherd, Florio)...after ONE LOSS.

When you're the head coach of the Super Bowl favorites the pressure is on you. And people aren't going to forget 13 seconds. 

You don't live in reality if you think McDermott's seat won't be scorching hot if he falls short of expectations. 

• Disagree 1
  • Agree 1

8 minutes ago, Einstein said:

The Dolphins averaged the same yards per play we did (5.4 vs 5.5).

There is no getting around that. It’s a fact. 

They also scored more points than our offense.

I would say the biggest difference in drives is that the Bills went for 3 fourth downs. Dolphins elected to punt in those situations instead.

I guess I am not understanding why yards per play for our offense has anything to do with our depleted defense holding the vaunted dolphins offensive with "the 2 best receivers" to short drives resulting in punts? It was impressive regardless of a comparison to how our offense did?

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, billsfan1959 said:

Sorry, but I’m just going to agree to disagree here. Frazier and McDermott know what they are doing and their track record in how their defenses have played in Buffalo are proof of that. Big plays are going to happen and they happen to every team. Sometimes they happen in big moments. That is football.

The problem is that the big plays against this defense happen at crucial moments, whether it's the playoffs in KC or moments that swing the momentum for good like Miami last week.

This is why I maintain this team is never going to the promised land with McDermott. This defense always looks great on paper in terms of the overall stats, but it simply doesn't work when it matters most. And situational football awareness is simply not something McD can handle.

2 minutes ago, Wayne Arnold said:

McDermott is already getting heat from some of the biggest national media figures (Cowherd, Florio)...after ONE LOSS.

When you're the head coach of the Super Bowl favorites the pressure is on you. And people aren't going to forget 13 seconds. 

You don't live in reality if you think McDermott's seat won't be scorching hot if he falls short of expectations. 

National talking heads dont have anything to do with how hot mcdermott's seat will get. They can talk about it all they want, McDermott isn't going anywhere so long as we continue to compete deep into the playoffs.

• Agree 1

8 minutes ago, Einstein said:

I would say the biggest difference in drives is that the Bills went for 3 fourth downs. Dolphins elected to punt in those situations instead.

You're nitpicking one stat...yards per play.  Why is that a strong argument?  The Ravens averaged almost a full yard more per play than the Dolphins and still lost.

Of course they punted.  They stalled them on 4 drives and we weren't getting stalled.  We ran 90 offensive plays.

- First punt was at their own 35.  

- 2nd punt was 4th and 10.

- The 1 yard line

- 4th and 11

3 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

This is fair… however the 4th and 4 FG attempt up by three is classic McD having absolutely no feel for the game….anyone with a pulse watching that game could sense they needed 7 there to put the game away. 6 point lead felt like nothing… and Bass missed the kick anyway.

Yea I said at the time in the Game Day thread I thought they should have gone for that. 

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Wayne Arnold said:

Based on what?

The fact the Pegulas are absolutely committed to him. Their history of hiring competent coaches across two teams is extremely thin. They have hired one - Sean McDermott. He is not getting fired this year with another playoff season even if it is another gut wrenching playoff loss. 

The only way he is fired after this season is the team having a losing record. And even then if it is because we lose 10 or 11 starters to injury he will be safe. 

• Like (+1) 3

1 minute ago, GunnerBill said:

The fact the Pegulas are absolutely committed to him. Their history of hiring competent coaches across two teams is extremely thin. They have hired one - Sean McDermott. He is not getting fired this year with another playoff season even if it is another gut wrenching playoff loss. 

The only way he is fired after this season is the team having a losing record. And even then if it is because we lose 10 or 11 starters to injury he will be safe. 

No one said anything about him being fired this season, to my knowledge. It's about the pressure on him going into 2023.

Just now, GunnerBill said:

Why do fans keep insisting they know what the Pegulas are thinking in regards to McDermott/Beane?

Obviously after one loss nothing is going to change and nor should it, but there are many scenarios come January in which they could change their minds very quick which have been discussed on here.

Also recent extensions mean nothing when it comes to NFL head coaches and GM's as there have been many canned within a year after signing them and both McD and Beane know that.

1 hour ago, What a Tuel said:

Is it though? The dolphins offense were in fact on the field during the game and the defense did this. That was pretty impressive given the status of the defense.

Punt 2:26

TD (off Josh Allen Fumble from 6 yard line) 1:36

TD 5:14

Punt 2:09

Punt 1:58

Punt 1:40

TD 4:04

Punt 0:13

Edit, I'll just add the drive times bc it shows the defense got the Miami offense off the field quickly.

Well one of those punts was when tua went down and one was when the offense pinned them on the goal line late in the game and they were trying not to take too many risks.  So realistically they scored tds on about half their possessions although one was a short field.  Elam did a nice job on tyreek though so that’s a good sign 

31 minutes ago, Einstein said:

The Fins couldn’t gain more than 20 yards on 4 of their 7 drives and were gifted a TD on another drive. Most of their yards came on 2 plays - both against players that probably wouldn’t be on the field in any other circumstances. If you take away those 2 plays they averaged 2.1 YPP for the game. Take away Buffalo’s 2 biggest plays and they still averaged 5 YPP.

As I have said before, Miami is a good team and they made every big play they had the opportunity to make yesterday. But they needed (1) to make every one of those plays, (2) the Bills to be short handed 7-10 starters at any given moment of the game, (3) Buffalo’s offense to make all the mistakes they made, and (4) Buffalo’s offense to be absolutely gassed in the 4th qtr because of the weather and being on the field so long - just to win by 2 points.

Edited by billsfan1959
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

7 minutes ago, FilthyBeast said:

Why do fans keep insisting they know what the Pegulas are thinking in regards to McDermott/Beane?

Obviously after one loss nothing is going to change and nor should it, but there are many scenarios come January in which they could change their minds very quick which have been discussed on here.

Also recent extensions mean nothing when it comes to NFL head coaches and GM's as there have been many canned within a year after signing them and both McD and Beane know that.

Because some fans speak to people who have reason to have more than the average person's insight into what the situation within the organisation is. McDermott is on rock solid ground. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

19 minutes ago, Wayne Arnold said:

Based on what?

Based on the idea that unknown coach x will not only put us in the position that both Beane and McDermott have put us in year after year consistently being in super bowl discussions, but win us super bowls.

Put another way, why do you think unknown coach x will be better? Why rock that boat? We are competitive.

I mean isn't it that only 2 head coaches have multiple super bowl wins this millennium? Do we really think we are trending the wrong direction to achieve at least one to just go ahead and blow it all up?

Edited by What a Tuel

20 minutes ago, FilthyBeast said:

The problem is that the big plays against this defense happen at crucial moments, whether it's the playoffs in KC or moments that swing the momentum for good like Miami last week.

This is why I maintain this team is never going to the promised land with McDermott. This defense always looks great on paper in terms of the overall stats, but it simply doesn't work when it matters most. And situational football awareness is simply not something McD can handle.

Factoring in the 13 seconds in the KC game and the 3rd and 22 in The Mia game, I would have to say they are still much better at calling defensive game plans than you are at evaluating them.

• Agree 2

My biggest issue with McDermott/Frazier defensive calls is not staying aggressive and attacking the other team. Instead they play passive and get beat on 3rd and longs constantly. This is not something new with this team and needs to be fixed. Force the QB to take the short play and make the tackle. 

Edited by billieve420

1 hour ago, What a Tuel said:

I guess I am not understanding why yards per play for our offense has anything to do with our depleted defense holding the vaunted dolphins offensive with "the 2 best receivers" to short drives resulting in punts? It was impressive regardless of a comparison to how our offense did?

Was the Dolphins defense impressive to you on Sunday?

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.