Poor coaching by McDermott is becoming a theme

Einstein

7 minutes ago, gomper said:

His game management is horrible.  I know they hired someone last season to help, but that hasn't worked so far. They could have won this game. Hopefully it doesn't bite them like the Jacksonville loss did last. Plenty of blame to go around.  It starts at the top. Come January, he has to be better.  Unacceptable for a team this talented. 

If he can't be good enough now...what makes you think there's any chance he's better in January? There's also the numerous failures these past few seasons as well

If we make it to and win the Super Bowl...luck will have been on our side. It won't be due to the coach making the right decisions.

16 minutes ago, BeastMaster said:

If he can't be good enough now...what makes you think there's any chance he's better in January? There's also the numerous failures these past few seasons as well

If we make it to and win the Super Bowl...luck will have been on our side. It won't be due to the coach making the right decisions.

This I agree with. I'm just thinking that choking time and again might cajole him into better decisions in the moment down the road. 

The ironic part, for all his culture building, they may win it inspite of him. Levy's teams couldn't do it, maybe this one will.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, LABILLBACKER said:

Then we better start drafting OL in the first 3 rounds rather than incessantly draft defensive players over olineman. We still struggle to run block and Josh was running for his life yesterday. 

People trash @ScottLaw and others like me for his takes, but some are coming around. No sense having a Bugatti engine behind a Ford Focus transmission and chassis. 5 years in and we have scrap heap parts at 3-4 OL positions. Dawkins is the only stud on OL. The lack of any running game should be an obvious sign to having a crap OL. Allen is amazing, but even he can not do it alone. Give the man some damned help.

It’s interesting how when we lose it’s about poor coaching but when we win I rarely see a coaching thread?

Listen I get it, coaching made mistakes but overall they make a lot more right decisions. 

For whatever reason we’re on a stretch for losing close games. Players and coaches have made mistakes in these close games. 

• Agree 1

I’m sure this was all already covered. Just wanna say he had the perfect gameplay to mask the injuries on D. Play ball control. Eat up tons of clock. It all would have worked if not for a few miscues in the red zone/that horrid second series that led to the first Miami TD.

42 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

I’ve been touting this since the off-season…. Never  liked their approach/borderline negligence to the offense… And then trolled the past two weeks by the likes of @eballand @Royale with Cheese….. They still can’t run the ball, receivers still struggle to get separation and YAC, and now Tanner Gentry may get some meaningful snaps and Bobby Hart is set to start next week.😅

Just crossing my fingers Josh gets through the season with all the heavy lifting and is still performing at a high level come playoff time. 

Kumerow really hurt us out there when he had to fill in.  Did he do anything?  

How good are Rams WR beyond the 5 string?  The Chiefs?  Probably starter quality right?  Kumerow is our 5th option….

We don’t struggle to get separation.  Allen isn’t fitting tight balls on every throw.  We have open WR a lot.  McKenzie was pretty open in the endzone on 4th down….

Yeah we can’t run the ball, I can still see that.

You are a believer that you shouldn’t earn positions in camp if you perform.  Hart had a good camp and earned a back up spot.  He’s not a starter, he’s a back up.  Lets see if it translates in a game IF he plays.  Bates is a right guard and I believe Hart was playing LG in camp.

I wont knock any poster for not liking a player or coach and I know we just had a heart breaking loss but lets look back to the times before McDermott got here, it was some dark times. No coach is perfect but to put all of the blame on McDermott is ridiculous, like the players say "we didn't make enough plays to win" and it's usually the truth imo. 

7 hours ago, Wraith said:

This talking point I keep hearing is ridiculous and shows a complete lack of critical thinking. Winning a lot of games by a big margin and losing a few games by a small margin is what good teams do. It is how sports work. Not to mention the Bills actually won their share of close games last year too:

- Week 8: Bills were up 6 to Miami with under 4 minutes to go. Does not count to you because they took care of business and won by 15.

- Week 16: Bills were up 5 to New England with under 3 minutes to go. Does not count to you because of that crazy drive to seal the game and division lead.

- Week 18: Bills were up 3 to New York Jets with under 9 minutes to go. Ignored because they took over the game in the final minutes and pulled away.

Are we supposed to take serious your argument that the Bills would have been a better team if the offense didn't come through late to pull away in those games and instead they hung on by fewer points? It is nonsense.

I'd like to add on 7-7 at halftime against the Rams. What we did to them in the 2nd half was a clinic in excellent coaching. Like you point out close games aren't only defined by the final score.

• Thank you (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

I’d guess they’ll be close to last in YAC yet again… and the offensive line is still a problem(even before the injuries) as it was for much of last year…. But that’s what happens when you essentially do the bare minimum to make it better… Perhaps Spencer Brown gets better throughout the season and learns how to pass block because he sucks at it like most of last season…. And Saffold looks old and washed. 

Hart blows. 

Yeah man.  We haven’t been able to score the last few years.  Its been a real problem.

11 hours ago, JayBaller10 said:

They’re definitely not without fault! I didn’t like Frazier’s 3rd and 22 call, rushing 3 and dropping 8 into coverage - but only 2 inexperienced safeties deep. If you go back and look at the replay, there were no corners back to help and two receivers breaking open deep. If Tua wanted to hold the ball even longer, he could’ve had a guaranteed TD with the way the Bills D was split. I just wish Frazier would STOP with the conservative play calling. It’s proven time and time again to give up big plays in crucial moments. As I said, they’re not a poorly coached team, but that doesn’t mean they don’t make boneheaded play calls from time to time.

This I agree with.  Get pressure on Tua and force him to throw short.  Trust your guys to make a tackle within 22 damn yards.

53 minutes ago, syhuang said:

on a related note, is there a way to hide threads created by certain users? 

Yes-  mouse over their name and right click will bring up the option iirc.  I’m on mobile 99.9% of the time.  Only on desktop to use the ignore function.  

52 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

Yeah man.  We haven’t been able to score the last few years.  Its been a real problem.

We have to keep up with the chiefs.  The team that scored 17 vs the 0-1-1 colts.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

50 minutes ago, Scott7975 said:

This I agree with.  Get pressure on Tua and force him to throw short.  Trust your guys to make a tackle within 22 damn yards.

There's a reason Leslie will probably never get hired as a HC.  Besides his obvious ultra conservative style, his obsession with "prevent" in long yardage situations has burned this team multiple times. 13 seconds was classic Frazier, as was 3rd & 22. He hates to blitz even though he has above avg DE pass rushers everywhere. When 4 of the 8 you drop in coverage are green, put your faith in the Dline Sean drafted.  It was an insanely stupid call. 

• Disagree 1

2 minutes ago, LABILLBACKER said:

There's a reason Leslie will probably never get hired as a HC.  Besides his obvious ultra conservative style, his obsession with "prevent" in long yardage situations has burned this team multiple times. 13 seconds was classic Frazier, as was 3rd & 22. He hates to blitz even though he has above avg DE pass rushers everywhere. When 4 of the 8 you drop in coverage are green, put your faith in the Dline Sean drafted.  It was an insanely stupid call. 

I have to admit that third and 22 conversion had me cussing at my TV

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.