Poor coaching by McDermott is becoming a theme

Einstein

4 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

5 of the last 7 defeats the Bills offense has had the ball at the end with the chance to win the game and in 4 of those 5 there were serious OL breakdowns that killed those drives. I listed them yesterday. You are going to have some close games in the NFL. It is the nature of the beast. Watch redzone every week. Games come down to the final drive. For a team with an elite QB to have the ball with a chance to win 5 times in 7 defeats and to go 0 fer is a major, major anomoly. And go and look at the play by plays. Protection, protection, protection. 

It was the biggest problem last year. It cost us the 1 seed. And it remains, I fear, a major weakness.

What would your solution be?  It seems like we don't get push up the middle and get stuffed.

Maybe a jumbo package and give Cook an option to go wide?...Moss runs into the back of our guards a lot.

2 minutes ago, Einstein said:

All 7 of those games also had questionable coaching decisions that lead to needing a last minute drive.

Maybe, but watch the NFL. Every game does. You can't win a blow out every week in the NFL. It has never and will never work that way. Eventually you have to win games that come down to the end. Of those 7 defeats, 6 did. Only one of them were the defense on the field at the end (in KC, where no doubt coaching blew it). The other 5 the offense did. When you have an elite QB (the Bills do) you should be worst .500 in those games. The Bills are 0 fer 5 with Josh freaking Allen. And the pattern is clear.

1 minute ago, Royale with Cheese said:

What would your solution be?  It seems like we don't get push up the middle and get stuffed.

Maybe a jumbo package and give Cook an option to go wide?...Moss runs into the back of our guards a lot.

My solution would have been to improve the interior OL in the summer with more than a 34 year old guard on his last legs. 

But given that is water under the bridge I'd scrap the zone blocking in the run game and go back to the gap plays we ran with a bit more success at the end of last season. But that doesn't solve the end of game, everyone knows you are passing plays, where ultimately it comes down to your guys vs theirs. I don't know how you fix that without better players. 

• Like (+1) 1

24 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

The rule is still move common to the game (which can include the tuck) or the time to make such a move. He doesn't complete the tuck. As the ball is coming in towards his body the DB punches it out. It is incomplete. 

Ah, thanks.   I haven't watched any replays, and I thought he might have completed his tuck.  Thanks for responding.

21 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

5 of the last 7 defeats the Bills offense has had the ball at the end with the chance to win the game and in 4 of those 5 there were serious OL breakdowns that killed those drives. I listed them yesterday. You are going to have some close games in the NFL. It is the nature of the beast. Watch redzone every week. Games come down to the final drive. For a team with an elite QB to have the ball with a chance to win 5 times in 7 defeats and to go 0 fer is a major, major anomoly. And go and look at the play by plays. Protection, protection, protection. 

It was the biggest problem last year. It cost us the 1 seed. And it remains, I fear, a major weakness.

Not to be a pain, but where's that list?  This thread, or someplace else?  Thanks.

His game management is horrible.  I know they hired someone last season to help, but that hasn't worked so far. They could have won this game. Hopefully it doesn't bite them like the Jacksonville loss did last. Plenty of blame to go around.  It starts at the top. Come January, he has to be better.  Unacceptable for a team this talented. 

• Like (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, Shaw66 said:

Ah, thanks.   I haven't watched any replays, and I thought he might have completed his tuck.  Thanks for responding.

Not to be a pain, but where's that list?  This thread, or someplace else?  Thanks.

https://www.twobillsdrive.com/community/topic/242299-poor-coaching-by-mcdermott-is-becoming-a-theme/page/12/#comment-7911433

57 minutes ago, blacklabel said:

Poor posting by "Einstein" has become a trend....as if it was ever anything different. 

Your username should be revoked. A man as intelligent as Einstein would never be associated with such dumper takes. 

Albert Einstein was called a lunatic among other things well before he was called a genius. 

44 minutes ago, gomper said:

His game management is horrible.  I know they hired someone last season to help, but that hasn't worked so far. They could have won this game. Hopefully it doesn't bite them like the Jacksonville loss did last. Plenty of blame to go around.  It starts at the top. Come January, he has to be better.  Unacceptable for a team this talented. 

With the amount of points left on the board "they could have won this game" alludes completely to the players.

So many points were left on the board by the players failing to execute. That's the main story of this game.

• Agree 3

2 hours ago, DCbillsfan said:

At the risk of being trashed, no I wouldn't trade for another coach.  BB is 70, Reid is one cheeseburger away from the big one, Harbaugh isn't leaving, and neither is McVay.  McD is a good coach and a good guy.  I wish he had Shakir active yesterday because they definitely could have used him.  Other than that, they were a lot of player mistakes yesterday.

IMO Kyle Shannahan is the best coach in the league, but has a very average GM in Lynch. I'd take him

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, GunnerBill said:

Then we better start drafting OL in the first 3 rounds rather than incessantly draft defensive players over olineman. We still struggle to run block and Josh was running for his life yesterday. 

• Agree 2

3 minutes ago, LABILLBACKER said:

Then we better start drafting OL in the first 3 rounds rather than incessantly draft defensive players over olineman. We still struggle to run block and Josh was running for his life yesterday. 

how is this McDermott's fault

10 hours ago, Einstein said:

But this ignores the point that poor coaching decisions put us in the position to need a last minute score.

- QB sneak at the goal line and we likely don’t need a last minute score

- Don’t waste a timeout on a PUNT and we likely have another 3 points (field goal before half time)

etc

I also have a hard time blaming the linemen at that point of the game. They were exhausted.

Watch the game again.  Oline was getting beat bad.  Early and often.  Spencer Brown was a turnstile.  It affected Allen's mental clock I.e. lack of time to go through his progressions.

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, GunnerBill said:

Thanks.  As I said, I hadn't read the thread when I jumped in.

That's good and helpful analysis.  I'm not sure yesterday quite counts, under the circumstances, but certainly a better oline performance would have won the game.  

I'll add, without knowing, that someone posted saying, well, there were three close games last year that the Bills took over late and won by enough that the final wasn't close.   Those were close games into the fourth quarter and the team DID respond well.  Which is not to say that isn't a problem that they aren't protecting josh or powering a running game consistently late in games.    But it may not be a huge problem.   Half of the players on the field on offense are linemen, so it shouldn't be exactly surprising that half of the losses may be attributable to the line.  I know that's a naively simplistic statistical tool, but it makes some sense.  

I still come back to the coaching.  In the fourth quarter the Dolphins had the plays they needed, play after play, on an six-play, four-minute drive to win the game.  The Bills had two drives after that and couldn't deliver.   They were first and goal at the two.   I don't care who you have up front.   These are professional football linemen, and in the right plays a good team will score from two yards out.  There are blocks that they can make, so those are the plays you call.   All kinds of players in that game missed plays that would have won the game, but on first and goal from the two, it's on the coaches.   

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.