Poor coaching by McDermott is becoming a theme

Einstein

1 hour ago, SCBills said:

McDermott is getting roasted in the media today. 

He needs a bounce back win Sunday in a big way. 

Not for his job security this year, but these voices will become LOUD if this team is sitting there at .500

This is what I said after rams game. He HAS to win the super bowl. They have a killer roster. Qb. All pressure / questions are about him. Sleepless nights this year 

5 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

Andy Reid didn’t win a Super Bowl for 20 years

Must’ve been a loser

McDermott is the culture change … don’t forget that 

Neither did KC. Both Reid and KC made a change and that put both of them over the top. 

McDermott isn't going anywhere this season no matter what happens. 

If they don't make a SuperBowl this year the seat gets got in the media. But the media is not Pegula and that is all that matters. 

Florio can pound sand.  There were 7-8 plays yesterday that if one of them goes the other way, the Bills win.

McD isn’t perfect in game day situations but he is NOT the reason the Bills lost yesterday.

Edited by eball
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, 34-78-83 said:

How about this? All of the dim wits that think McD is even making his “ game day decisions” by himself, raise your hands. He’s literally got a team of people in his ear for every type of situation that may arise whether it be a challenge, a 4th down decision, a clock management decision, and more. The Bills have one if I not the largest employee representation in their analytics department in the league.

Does he still make the final call and does he go with his gut sometimes? Absolutely. But man o man people learn about how your own supposed favorite team operates before stuffing an agenda down everyone’s throat.

So he has a separate employee designated to burn 3 time outs in the 3rd quarter.     Got it 

so much luck goes into winning and losing in the NFL, especially in single elimination 

injuries

bounces

matchups

execution

penalties

There's such a fine line...

tuck rule being called a fumble, Atlanta installing Marty as HC with a 28-3 lead, and Seattle handing off to Marshawn Lynch and Brady has 4 rings instead of 7.

Take away 2 unreal catches by the Giants and he has 9 rings instead of 7. 

Brady could EASILY have 4 rings or 9 rings. All a play here and there (except Atlanta, which was a complete collapse by one team). 

So the key is keep getting into those spots so that you can benefit from the randomness. No matter how random it can seem, the ball will never bounce your way or a timely penalty go your way if you're sitting on your couch watching.

"Reid" came up short in the KC/TB Super Bowl is the narrative some put out. "See, we told you so!"

Meanwhile, KC had reserves playing OL against a top defense, Mahomes was running for his life while limping around with a busted ankle/foot and KC's WR dropped everything that hit them. 

Circumstances matter. 

43 minutes ago, BillsShredder83 said:

Just as a thought experiment, there's not one coach in the league you'd trade McD for?

At the risk of being trashed, no I wouldn't trade for another coach.  BB is 70, Reid is one cheeseburger away from the big one, Harbaugh isn't leaving, and neither is McVay.  McD is a good coach and a good guy.  I wish he had Shakir active yesterday because they definitely could have used him.  Other than that, they were a lot of player mistakes yesterday.

7 minutes ago, Ethan in Cleveland said:

Neither did KC. Both Reid and KC made a change and that put both of them over the top. 

If they don't make a SuperBowl this year the seat gets got in the media. But the media is not Pegula and that is all that matters. 

That doesn’t mean anything… Andy Reid was the head coach for 20 years before he won a Super Bowl… 

He was in philli for 14 years without one and KC 7 years without one 

Sean has been a head coach for six years

His trajectory is high

1 minute ago, LABILLBACKER said:

So he has a separate employee designated to burn 3 time outs in the 3rd quarter.     Got it 

Most time outs are not optional when players fail in their assignments, or because like 4 of them on the field are completely inexperienced at their position and role due to a mass of injuries. That has zero to do with my point. Awesome point

McDermott need to clean some things up, but he and his staff have done a lot of winning here. 

We're a LONG WAY from "football is a tough game for tough people" or "it's hard to win in the NFL"

We have a very good staff, and they've only really been expected to be a good team once (last year) so you can't say much about playoffs since they lost to KC (in KC) twice in a row. 

Point is, the story of McDermott is still early. 

im hard on mccoach sometimes, and i still think the 13 seconds debacle was on him (the kick and the goofy D vs a team w 3 times outs).  im sure coaches below him or players made mistakes, but imo in that kind of situation, he's got to keep the ship on track

all that said, he had a mash unit which got worse yesterday ready to play and playing their butts off.  the offensive sequence on the 2nd drive, and the coverage/pass rush on the 3rd and 22 as mentioned before were coaching errors, but against that we have some just outstanding set ups and call, and practice squad players playing like their hair was on fire.  that's just good to great over all coaching in my book.

we lost on the back of a unique mix of chance and player mistakes.   there were about 7 things that coulda gone slightly differently and we walk away winners.

tough loss, but that's football.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

If you believe that the Bills are the best team in the league, then it necessarily follows that McDermott must be a very good coach. You don't play as exciting and dominant a brand of football as the Bills play without good coaching.

Think about the best parts of this roster -- Hyde and Poyer, Tre White, Von Miller, Josh Allen, Stefon Diggs....none of them would be the factors they are for Buffalo if it were not for McDermott.

It was McDermott that took two unwanted corners in free agency and coached them up into All-Pro safeties. It was McDermott that coached an afterthought draftee at cornerback into a top five corner in the league. It was the culture that McDermott built that lured Von Miller here and that has helped make Stefon Diggs happy enough here that he remains supremely productive and wants to finish his career in Buffalo. And last but not least...Josh Allen. The patience, consistency, and support this coaching staff has given Allen, thus allowing him to become the best QB in the league, has been MASTERFUL.

I get it -- McDermott is an elite Monday through Saturday coach and sometimes not quite as elite on Sundays. His game management is not always perfect. Very few coaches have perfect game management. Andy Reid STILL struggles with it, and he has a Lombardi and multiple NFC and AFC Championship Game apperances. 

The bottom line is that it's not reasonable to only point out the flaws in McDermott's coaching without also pointing out the absolutely ELITE job he's done coaching up the Bills roster, fostering an environment in which a raw QB prospect could ascend to greatness, and ultimately creating a consistent championship contending team. 

For anyone that thinks it would be easy to find a coaching upgrade to Sean McDermott, I beg you to look around the league and follow its annual hiring and firing cycle. Coaching turnover in the NFL is CONSTANT. Consistently good head coaches are incredibly hard to find. Who's walking through the door that's better than McDermott? Be careful what you wish for.

Edited by Logic

11 minutes ago, Ethan in Cleveland said:

Reid got to KC in 2013 and finally made it to the SB 7 years later. He also took over a better team than McD did. Now that we're good, does McD get that amount of time? 

1 hour ago, Royale with Cheese said:

You started this thread because it was a negative spin on McDermott.  If it wasn't, you wouldn't have started it.

I gotta say that Einstein's take on this, as expressed in the comparison to Fox, is a legitimate concern.  And, frankly, I think McDermott would agree with it.   I think McDermott already understands that he's not winning close games.  If he didn't understand it before yesterday, he does now.  The players he put on the field were better players (if not in raw talent, then in terms of discipline, teamwork, complexity of offense and defense), with a much better quarterback, and McDermott knows that.  I think he would say that winning games like yesterday is a capability that he, his staff, and his players must develop. 

McDermott has only one objective, and that's winning.   If he's not winning, he wants to correct it.  

• Like (+1) 1

50 minutes ago, Wayne Arnold said:

Of course I do. It's the nature of the beast. Are you new to this?

Then you are drunk. There is a 0.0% chance that McDermott will be on the hot seat after this year if they don't make the superbowl.

You clearly do not follow the league. You suffer from Bills myopia.

Edited by MJS
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.