Poor coaching by McDermott is becoming a theme

Einstein

34 minutes ago, Solomon Grundy said:

I agree with this. My problem is the decision making at times. Like when to take TOs, when to challenge, etc. My other question was after the butt punt. Who’s the more dynamic return man, Crowder or Lil Dirty? I feel like in game winning situations you go all out in order to secure the victory 

They’re definitely not without fault! I didn’t like Frazier’s 3rd and 22 call, rushing 3 and dropping 8 into coverage - but only 2 inexperienced safeties deep. If you go back and look at the replay, there were no corners back to help and two receivers breaking open deep. If Tua wanted to hold the ball even longer, he could’ve had a guaranteed TD with the way the Bills D was split. I just wish Frazier would STOP with the conservative play calling. It’s proven time and time again to give up big plays in crucial moments. As I said, they’re not a poorly coached team, but that doesn’t mean they don’t make boneheaded play calls from time to time.

• Agree 1

3 minutes ago, Wayne Arnold said:

Feels like you're posting from the year 1988.

No, I'm actually posting from reality where you haven't given the advantage to the Defense because they have much less ground to have to cover and considering what they got out of that drive, my point stands.

2 minutes ago, Billz4ever said:

But we didn't do what you just posted, so that doesn't make any sense whatsoever.

Oof. 

The point is that an NFL team is more likely to score a touchdown from the opponent's 1 yard line out of shotgun than they are from under center.

And considering a team with an emergency practice squad center is significantly more likely to fumble the ball snapping from under center than it is snapping from shotgun, the evidence is overwhelming that snapping from the shotgun is the correct call.

We, as a nation, deserve better football analysis from fans and media. 

- 0 and 7 in one score games the last two seasons

Random statistical noise. Those games include a magical 4th & 1 stop on an Allen sneak that 99:100 he gets. A 55 -75 MPH wind game, the topical weather + injury game where the bills were in position to win TWICE with better execution form players, which includes a blatant miss from Allen that he normally makes 99/100 times, and loss to the freakin Jags where we couldn’t score against Urban Meyere, and I’m sure other random crap. 

- Challenging a clear Titans catch last week was indefensible

Yea that’s on the coaches upstairs 

- Not challenging a potential Gabe Davis TD this week was indefensible 

because it wasn’t a catch 

- Playing shallow coverage on 3rd and 22, allowing TWO seperate receivers to get open deep, is indefensible

wasn’t a shallow zone, our inexperienced safeties were baited by a pair of elite speed WRs including Tyreke Hill. That was a perfectly called play 

- Not having your WR’s ready to go down with enough time to spike the ball

You wanted him to go down outside FG range with almost no time left on the clock? 

- Don’t even get me started on 13 seconds

perhaps

- Our inability to win short yardage situations for several years is indefensible.

Sure it is, we don’t put a bunch of salary cap space into our interior line - we get average to above free agents and deep draft picks and hope they can collectively perform better as a group. We don’t have a si by let first rounder on the OLine or RB. Heck we only just drafted our first 2nd round RB this year under this regime. Instead they put their resources into the DLine, corners, LB, WR and QB. That is going to have consequences, one of which is struggling with NFL DLines on short yardage. But that’s also why you have Josh Allen and a bunch of excellent route running WRs and backs. I’d also bet dollars to donuts thag this offense ranks really high in 3rd down conversations and red zone conversations 

- We as a team seem to have removed QB sneak from the play book. We never run it. Ever. See this tweet for how I feel about that. Hard to think that’s not a directive from the top, seeing that two separate OC’s refuse to call it.

First of all that’s just inaccurate, seeing as one of those close losses came on Allen not getting a sneak and in that very game we were shown statistics at how good Allen is at that. This year we haven’t done it as much because almost every time we’ve been in 3rd and a long 1 or even 2, and that’s not a sneak situation. And finally, Because you don’t need to risk your 40M QB on sneaks.

Edited by appoo

10 minutes ago, Wayne Arnold said:

Oof. 

The point is that an NFL team is more likely to score a touchdown from the opponent's 1 yard line out of shotgun than they are from under center.

And considering a team with an emergency practice squad center is significantly more likely to fumble the ball snapping from under center than it is snapping from shotgun, the evidence is overwhelming that snapping from the shotgun is the correct call.

No, it shows they are more likely to score a touchdown running the ball out of shotgun on the 1 yard line, which the Bills didn't even do.  They literally threw the ball on 2 of the final three downs if memory serves me correctly.  Did you actually read what you posted?  Oof

Edited by Billz4ever

I just linked to this article in another thread.  It's a good read if you haven't read it yet:

"BILLS HAVE A COMPOSURE PROBLEM"

(Takes some hard but fair shots at Bills coaching during the current administration)...

https://www.audacy.com/wgr550/sports/bills/geary-bills-have-a-composure-problem

30 minutes ago, Billz4ever said:

If people are seriously trying to claim at the NFL level, we can't even snap the ball under center to get less than a yard, that raises a lot more questions than it answers.

I think it has to do with injuries and preparedness.  Its not that a guy is not professional enough to snap the ball into his butt.  Its about reps with the guy receiving it, it needs to get worked out.   I get you don't like the answer but the guys who do this for a living probably understand it better than you seem to realize.

2 minutes ago, Matt_In_NH said:

I think it has to do with injuries and preparedness.  Its not that a guy is not professional enough to snap the ball into his butt.  Its about reps with the guy receiving it, it needs to get worked out.   I get you don't like the answer but the guys who do this for a living probably understand it better than you seem to realize.

63 pass attempts.  It's pretty clear the coaching staff expected Josh to play miracle worker once again because their own game plan made the O-line and receivers barely even able to stay on the field.  

46 minutes ago, Billz4ever said:

If people are seriously trying to claim at the NFL level, we can't even snap the ball under center to get less than a yard, that raises a lot more questions than it answers.

We already had two botched, dropped snaps from under Center at that point. What more evidence do you need on the reality of the situation?

We were on our 3rd string Center.

If he could perform as well and consistently as the 1st string, he wouldnt be 3rd string.

This was the reality of the situation. Nothing we can do but accept it and move on.

9 minutes ago, Billz4ever said:

No, it shows they are more likely to score a touchdown running the ball out of shotgun on the 1 yard line, which the Bills didn't even do.  They literally threw the ball on 2 of the final three downs if memory serves me correctly.  Did you actually read what you posted?  Oof

You decided to change your argument in the middle of the argument. Going from "Bills should not be going shotgun from the opponent's 1 yard line" to "Bills should be running from the 1 yard line, not passing".

1 minute ago, Wayne Arnold said:

You decided to change your argument in the middle of the argument. Going from "Bills should not be going shotgun from the opponent's 1 yard line" to "Bills should be running from the 1 yard line, not passing".

Bro, you had no argument in the first place.  You clearly either didn't read the tweet completely or you didn't understand what you were reading because the bills were throwing the ball down there, not running it.

17 minutes ago, Billz4ever said:

Bro, you had no argument in the first place.  You clearly either didn't read the tweet completely or you didn't understand what you were reading because the bills were throwing the ball down there, not running it.

You had a problem with the shotgun.

They ran twice, threw twice.

If Allen doesn't completely shank his pass attempt to a wide open McKenzie then they are 3-0.

About half way into the video Mike Florio begins to voice his concern that McDermott may not be the right person to get the Bills over the hump.

He compares the situation to John Fox in Denver. Fox was good in Denver. He went 38-10 in his last three seasons.

But it took Fox being fired (after a 12-4 season) and Kubiak being hired for the Broncos to land a Lombardi trophy with that loaded roster.

https://www.nbcsports.com/video/mike-florio-buffalo-bills-received-rude-awakening-against-miami-dolphins?ls=pftvod

• Like (+1) 1
  • Eyeroll 3
  • Agree 3
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Dislike 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.