Poor coaching by McDermott is becoming a theme

Einstein

3 minutes ago, Ethan in Cleveland said:

Is it not reasonable to expect a NFL player to be able to snap the ball??? If that is the excuse it is laughable. Allen should have been under center and it should have been a QB sneak. 

A shovel pass is a nice play there too but it should have been a QB sneak. That is on McDermott not telling his rookie OC what to do. 

Other than that play, I dont have much of an issue with McD decisions yesterday. And I've never been a McD fan. However, yesterday was really poor execution by the offense not coaching. Josh included. 

You don't know that and neither do I. If they pick up the blitz and Hill finds open space he can run away from everyone. 

It was bad execution not a bad call.

I do know that giving a QB basically forever to find a hole against a secondary without both starting safeties, Dane and Tre is probably going to end worse than if you put pressure on the QB, which is supposed to be a strength of this team this season.

31 minutes ago, Billz4ever said:

Josh in the shotgun on 2nd and goal from inside the one isn't a problem for you?  A 6'5" 250 lb QB can't get less than a yard on a QB sneak with 3 cracks at it? 

And given some of the stupid challenges I've seen McD make, to not challenge the Gabe catch/no catch is mind boggling.  Even the announcers were arguing he had 2 feet down before the ball came out. That play potentially puts points on the board.  It's not like it was just challenging some 5 yard catch at your own 30, which wouldn't even be a first down.

3rd and 22 with a 3-man rush is on the coaching staff.

Having Josh in the shotgun on 2nd and goal from inside the one is on the coaching staff.

Not challenging the Gabe catch/no catch considering some of the dumb challenges McD has done, especially when the announcers were arguing he had 2 feet down before the ball came out, is on the coaching staff.

Making Josh throw the ball 63 times in a game is on the coaching staff.

The challenge would have failed and the Bills would have had one less time out at the end.  It would have been a terrible decision.  I agree with you re Josh in the shotgun…

Just now, mannc said:

The challenge would have failed and the Bills would have had one less time out at the end.  It would have been a terrible decision.  I agree with you re Josh in the shotgun…

How do you know the challenge would fail?  The announcers were even arguing he had 2 feet down before the ball came out and they certainly weren't pulling for the Bills in that game. 

Just now, Billz4ever said:

How do you know the challenge would fail?  The announcers were even arguing he had 2 feet down before the ball came out and they certainly weren't pulling for the Bills in that game. 

That’s not the rule…you have to control the ball for more than a millisecond with both feet in and he never controlled the ball.

2 minutes ago, mannc said:

That’s not the rule…you have to control the ball for more than a millisecond with both feet in and he never controlled the ball.

That is a catch.  You make the refs say it's not especially when it's a play that would put points on the board.

Edited by Billz4ever

McDermott is the defensive version of Andy Reid. The guy is an AMAZING schemer on defense and can game plan and draw up great stuff for players. That's 90% of the gig, and he is elite at it. 

However, this team can be very sloppy, and coaching decisions often very questionable. But usually we steamroll teams so it doesn't matter. 

Look at the Rams game. We turned the ball over a few times but it made no difference. It seems like every time we get a 15 yard PF penalty on offense 2 plays later it's a first down anyway. We're getting used to nothing mattering because in the end we score 30+ points.  

Even yesterday, with all the injuries coming in on defense AND many more during the game, Waddle and Hill did very little overall. That's scheme and roster depth, and the coaches deserve a ton of credit there. 

But this time around, being sloppy DID cost them. We left a minimum of 13 points on the field: the circus act before the half, not punching it on with 3 tries on the 1 yard line, and Bass missing the FG. We were also moving the ball again on the final drive but ran out of time. 

With those 13 points, it's 32-21 Bills. All we needed was ONE of those things and it's a W.

That's the story to me: all the injuries, all the mistakes, and it took EVERYTHING to break the Dolphins way to win by 2 points at home when Bills players were going off the field every other play. 

Just now, Billz4ever said:

Someone here posted the replay still shots.  He clearly has the ball tucked away.  I can't help you if you can't see that.

I’ll bet Davis acknowledges that he should have held onto it, and he’d be right. There’s no way that was a catch.

Davis 02.jpg

5 minutes ago, mannc said:

I’ll bet Davis acknowledges that he should have held onto it, and he’d be right. There’s no way that was a catch.

You said he didn't tuck it away

"he never controlled the ball."

and on the replay you can clearly see he did.  He also tapped both feet and a split second after he tapped the second foot, the ball came out.

Edited by Billz4ever

28 minutes ago, Coach Tuesday said:

Lol - I usually like your one-liners but you're off your game this week.  I don't care whether you call it a "drop" or a "breakup", those are semantics you can play with in the dark by yourself.  He needs to make that catch, period.

It’s not semantics. They are two separate events. 

34 minutes ago, FrenchConnection said:

I don’t know why they did that in the Titans games, but Eric Wood said in the pre-game show that goal line snaps under center are the hardest ones.

He’s right. You often have multiple people lined up across you whose job is to try and blow you off the ball as soon as it’s snapped in anticipation of a qb sneak. 

7 minutes ago, mannc said:

He did catch it and had control when his left foot touched

99193251_DavisFoot01.thumb.jpg.e1c9283e34f20eb611a02035ad2902b4.jpg

and when his right foot touched

1332898031_DavisFoot02.thumb.jpg.dd0918149ed7136245b31fe85d4bbe9b.jpg

Edited by billsfan1959
  • Like (+1) 2

4 minutes ago, billsfan1959 said:

Can't be anymore clear than that and when it's a play that would potentially put points on the board, you challenge that and make the refs say it wasn't a catch.

Give some of the dumb challenges I've seen McD make and then to not challenge this one is simply mind boggling.

Edited by Billz4ever

I don’t believe the Bills are poorly coached, not one bit. Do the coaches have moments that don’t put the team in the most advantageous situation? Sure, but the same could be said for every coaching staff in the history of the game. Those moments are more outliers than the norm, hence the team’s success and scoring margin. Don’t forget we went through 17 years of futility and irrelevancy, don’t get spoiled by success.

• Agree 1

Davis Foot 02.jpg

5 minutes ago, TheFunPolice said:

just a good play by the DB. Davis didn't control the ball long enough and it would have been a waste of a challenge. 

Control of the ball and 2 feet down.  Definition of a completed pass.  As soon as his right foot touched, that's a catch and a touchdown.

Edited by Billz4ever

5 minutes ago, billsfan1959 said:

I don’t care what still photos show…I’ve watched the replay multiple times and he never sufficiently controlled the ball and there no way that gets reversed.  It would have wasted a crucial TO.

• Like (+1) 3

2 minutes ago, mannc said:

I don’t care what still photos show…I’ve watched the replay multiple times and he never sufficiently controlled the ball and there no way that gets reversed.  It would have wasted a crucial TO.

So your argument is that a catch that is tucked away with 2 feet down is not the definition of a completed pass in the NFL because that's clearly what it shows.

And you're also arguing that on a challenge, the ref wouldn't be looking for the ball being tucked away with two feet in bounds, again, which it clearly shows.

Edited by Billz4ever

Why is the "McD can't win close games" argument only considering 2021 and yesterday?

With a look back through 2017, albeit a quick one, looks to me like McD is .500 in 1 score games which would make sense seeing a lot of those types of games are determined by one bounce going your way or not.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.