Poor coaching by McDermott is becoming a theme

Einstein

McDermott didn't drop a pass in the endzone, underthrow an open receiver in the endzone, miss a 38 yard field goal, fumble a snap that might have led to a field goal, or injure many of our starters and backups.  Despite playing under extraordinarily difficult circumstances, we lost that game because we missed a few crucial plays.  The only problem I had with the coaching is only rushing 3 players on the 3rd at 22 that resulted in one of Miami's only big offensive plays of the game. Otherwise, you can't blame coaching on yesterday's loss.  

• Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, Billz4ever said:

I thought he had it too, so that's another screw up by the coaching staff. They had the ball, it's not like Miami was hurrying to the line to snap a play.  I've seen McD challenge some clear head scratchers where it's like you immediately know we lost a timeout.  But here, it was like OK, on to the next play.

Funny, when I saw it live, it never occurred to me to challenge that play…just looked like a lousy drop by Davis.

22 minutes ago, Chaos said:

Coffee is for closers. The teams track record over two seasons in close games, and late in games is not good. This was most puncuated by the 13 second debacle.  I am not ready to say McDermott is a choker.   But it is crossing my mind. 

If anyone choked yesterday it was Josh. Not McDermott.

16 hours ago, Royale with Cheese said:

3rd string center

3rd string guard

2nd string RT

5th string CB

Back up CB

Diggs had to come off the field every other play in the 4th.

McKenzie had to go out multiple times.

Second string SS

Second string FS

Back up DT

2 practice squad DT called up.

Kumerow who has played decently also leaves with an injury.

100 degree heat index and no shade.

Thats what we dealt with today.

And we STILL almost won!

Look how well they had the defense playing missing literally 1/2 the starters.

What other team in the NFL could play like that missing 1/2 the team?

• Agree 1

8 minutes ago, buffalonian said:

McDermott didn't drop a pass in the endzone, underthrow an open receiver in the endzone, miss a 38 yard field goal, fumble a snap that might have led to a field goal, or injure many of our starters and backups.  Despite playing under extraordinarily difficult circumstances, we lost that game because we missed a few crucial plays.  The only problem I had with the coaching is only rushing 3 players on the 3rd at 22 that resulted in one of Miami's only big offensive plays of the game. Otherwise, you can't blame coaching on yesterday's loss.  

Josh in the shotgun on 2nd and goal from inside the one isn't a problem for you?  A 6'5" 250 lb QB can't get less than a yard on a QB sneak with 3 cracks at it? 

And given some of the stupid challenges I've seen McD make, to not challenge the Gabe catch/no catch is mind boggling.  Even the announcers were arguing he had 2 feet down before the ball came out. That play potentially puts points on the board.  It's not like it was just challenging some 5 yard catch at your own 30, which wouldn't even be a first down.

7 minutes ago, Wayne Arnold said:

If anyone choked yesterday it was Josh. Not McDermott.

3rd and 22 with a 3-man rush is on the coaching staff.

Having Josh in the shotgun on 2nd and goal from inside the one is on the coaching staff.

Not challenging the Gabe catch/no catch considering some of the dumb challenges McD has done, especially when the announcers were arguing he had 2 feet down before the ball came out, is on the coaching staff.

Making Josh throw the ball 63 times in a game is on the coaching staff.

Yesterday was a confluence of unfortunate events that you can chalk up to one-offs in many respects, and what, was it really likely that we would go undefeated this year? By definition, in order to lose a game there’s going to be factors like what happened yesterday, and despite playing with one and a half arms behind our collective back, we still almost got out of there with a W. The depth on this team is impressive, imho. Keep calm, don’t panic. Oh, and the Pats lost again! 

• Like (+1) 3

21 minutes ago, ArtVandalay said:

His contested catch rate is elite. He caught 58.3% of contested targets last year,  good for #10 overall in the NFL.

Sorry but contested catches are not an issue for him.  

How many of his catches are contested compared to his total receptions?  Who is throwing him the ball?  Is the route tree he's running putting him into positions to need to make a contested catch? Does he struggle to obtain separation?

These are all considerations/questions necessary to understand whether contested catches are an issue for Davis. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, NoHuddleKelly12 said:

Yesterday was a confluence of unfortunate events that you can chalk up to one-offs in many respects, and what, was it really likely that we would go undefeated this year? By definition, in order to lose a game there’s going to be factors like what happened yesterday, and despite playing with one and a half arms behind our collective back, we still almost got out of there with a W. The depth on this team is impressive, imho. Keep calm, don’t panic. Oh, and the Pats lost again! 

I don't even want to see the injury report this week.  

• Agree 1

6 minutes ago, Billz4ever said:

Josh in the shotgun on 2nd and goal from inside the one isn't a problem for you?  A 6'5" 250 lb QB can't get less than a yard on a QB sneak with 3 cracks at it? 

And given some of the stupid challenges I've seen McD make, to not challenge the Gabe catch/no catch is mind boggling.  Even the announcers were arguing he had 2 feet down before the ball came out. That play potentially puts points on the board.  It's not like it was just challenging some 5 yard catch at your own 30, which wouldn't even be a first down.

3rd and 22 with a 3-man rush is on the coaching staff.

Having Josh in the shotgun on 2nd and goal from inside the one is on the coaching staff.

Not challenging the Gabe catch/no catch considering some of the dumb challenges McD has done, especially when the announcers were arguing he had 2 feet down before the ball came out, is on the coaching staff.

Making Josh throw the ball 63 times in a game is on the coaching staff.

I agree that shotgun in short yardage is a bit of a head scratcher.  I noticed that they were doing this in the Titans game too.  Still, Josh missed a wide open McKenzie in the endzone on that series.   

Just now, buffalonian said:

I agree that shotgun in short yardage is a bit of a head scratcher.  I noticed that they were doing this in the Titans game too.  Still, Josh missed a wide open McKenzie in the endzone on that series.   

I don’t know why they did that in the Titans games, but Eric Wood said in the pre-game show that goal line snaps under center are the hardest ones.

2 hours ago, Bangarang said:

Either you struggle to understand the difference between a drop and a pass breakup or you don’t care and just want to be a troll. It’s sad either way.

Lol - I usually like your one-liners but you're off your game this week.  I don't care whether you call it a "drop" or a "breakup", those are semantics you can play with in the dark by yourself.  He needs to make that catch, period.

11 minutes ago, teef said:

i agree.  i feel it was more execution rather than coaching.  it was just an off day, and it's going to happen again.  

i said during the game that Josh was having an off day (for him).

We are pretty damn lucky though that now when Josh is having an off day, he’s still better than most starting QBs in the NFL. His off days are many QBs good days… that’s how good he is and how far he’s progressed.

• Agree 1

26 minutes ago, Gisele said:

Not reading everything today.  Anyone know McDermott's "challenge" success rate?  Hard to find on web.

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/coaches/McDeSe0/challenges/

He's 6 of 24 career now.

By comparison Belichick is 9 of 23 in the same span (2017 to present).  

Not making any statement citing those numbers. 

1 minute ago, buffalonian said:

Putting the ball in the air there makes zero sense anyway.  Josh is bigger than most linebackers.  If we can't get less than a yard in those situations running the football having 3 tries at it, we have problems.  Being that close makes throwing the ball harder because the defense is compressed into a smaller area and the likelihood of an INT goes as well.  

31 minutes ago, Billz4ever said:

3-man rush on the 3rd and 22 was the play of the game IMO.  Indefensible with a secondary in the condition of the what the Bills is.  I don't think Von was even in on the play.  

That ranks right up there with not playing press man, jam them at the line during 13 seconds.  It shows a clear loss of situational awareness, often described as choking when it matters.

Yes it would have been better if Miller was in, but dropping 8 is the standard on 3rd and long. Most teams do that. Green Bay did the same thing on the second to last Tampa drive last night and Brady had to dump it off and punt.

Play deep, rally, and tackle the underneath throw. 

The call was fine it was the putrid execution that was not. 

1 minute ago, BillsVet said:

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/coaches/McDeSe0/challenges/

He's 6 of 24 career now.

By comparison Belichick is 9 of 23 in the same span (2017 to present).  

Not making any statement citing those numbers. 

I'll make a statement.  Given some of challenges I've seen him make that I could immediately tell he was going to lose from my couch, the fact he didn't challenge the Gabe catch/no catch, especially when the announcers were arguing it appeared he may have had 2 feet down before the ball came out, makes zero sense to me.

Just now, Ethan in Cleveland said:

Yes it would have been better if Miller was in, but dropping 8 is the standard on 3rd and long. Most teams do that. Green Bay did the same thing on the second to last Tampa drive last night and Brady had to dump it off and punt.

Play deep, rally, and tackle the underneath throw. 

The call was fine it was the putrid execution that was not. 

That is not the play you do when you have a secondary decimated by injuries.  Period.  You do not let the opposing QB sit back and find the hole in the coverage, which is exactly what they did.

3rd and 22 is when the pass rushers should be pinning their ears back and going after the QB with additional pressure.  They did the exact opposite of what the should've done.

If you get burned by the blitz, you say they beat it and made a good play.  What you don't do is let the QB sit back there and throw a 40 yard completion.  If they had brought pressure, Tua never has the time to make that throw most likely.

1 minute ago, Billz4ever said:

I'll make a statement.  Given some of challenges I've seen him make that I could immediately tell he was going to lose from my couch, the fact he didn't challenge the Gabe catch/no catch, especially when the announcers were arguing it appeared he may have had 2 feet down before the ball came out, makes zero sense to me.

Well, I get into trouble discussing McD's decisions, in-game, post-game, or off-season.  ;) 

• Haha (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, FrenchConnection said:

I don’t know why they did that in the Titans games, but Eric Wood said in the pre-game show that goal line snaps under center are the hardest ones.

Is it not reasonable to expect a NFL player to be able to snap the ball??? If that is the excuse it is laughable. Allen should have been under center and it should have been a QB sneak. 

A shovel pass is a nice play there too but it should have been a QB sneak. That is on McDermott not telling his rookie OC what to do. 

Other than that play, I dont have much of an issue with McD decisions yesterday. And I've never been a McD fan. However, yesterday was really poor execution by the offense not coaching. Josh included. 

6 minutes ago, Billz4ever said:

That is not the play you do when you have a secondary decimated by injuries.  Period.  You do not let the opposing QB sit back and find the hole in the coverage, which is exactly what they did.

3rd and 22 is when the pass rushers should be pinning their ears back and going after the QB with additional pressure.  They did the exact opposite of what the should've done.

If you get burned by the blitz, you say they beat it and made a good play.  What you don't do is let the QB sit back there and throw a 40 yard completion.  If they had brought pressure, Tua never has the time to make that throw most likely.

You don't know that and neither do I. If they pick up the blitz and Hill finds open space he can run away from everyone. 

It was bad execution not a bad call.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.