Poor coaching by McDermott is becoming a theme

Einstein

1 hour ago, Einstein said:

One might say Beane is a blessing to this franchise more than McDermott.

What coach would NOT win with the talent on this roster?

Hard to say. They have crazy talent in LA and Denver and they don't look too hot.

Beane might be more of one for sure but McDermott is phenomenal at getting our guys laser focused. Both changed the culture 

1 hour ago, GunnerBill said:

Almost every single team on 3rd and 22 with an inexperienced secondary is playing coverage. Okay, it didn't work, Jaquan got burned. I get it. But Leslie Frazier did an excellent job with the pieces he had yesterday. He put his young players in position to make the most of what they had. They give up one play and everyone goes mad about the playcall. 

Not to mention this stat that I saw in an article this morning in the Buffalo News: "It was the first time the Bills’ defense ever has given up a third-and-20 or more situation in the six years of the Sean McDermott and Leslie Frazier era, according to Buffalo News charting. Opponents had been 0-for-22 on third and 20 or more against the Bills since 2017."

It happens. And yesterday it happened under extraordinary circumstances. It doesn't diminsh the job Frazier did yesterday in any way. Frazier did an excellent job..

Just an observation, but I find it interesting that some of the same posters who worried about Miami putting up 30+ points against this defense with the players missing going into the game, are now complaining about giving up one big play....

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, GunnerBill said:

I'd like the sneaks back in the playbook too, no question. But forget the series on the goalline for a moment. We still had the ball again after that with enough time only needing a FG. The offensive line failed us, again. In a big spot. You can pretend that is on coaching but ultimately that is on talent. When it comes to the crunch and it is your guy vs my guy and someone has to make a play our offensive line comes up small every time. Why? Because we keep patching it up with guys who are at best serviceable rather than really prioritising it. 

How much depth do you think a team can have at any position group when your gameday roster is limited to 48 players? We were down to our 3rd string center and had backups playing out of position across the line. No team can withstand that.

34 minutes ago, Shortchaz said:

When there’s so many people involved there’s blame to go around, McD deserves his share of the blame.

One concern is that, when it comes to high pressure situations, the bills seem to be on the losing end. the team is not proactive in teaching/understanding how to perform in the pressure cooker. They don’t demonstrate a cool/calm confidence in themselves, instead they seem to panic(?).

McD is great at getting the team ready to steamroll/steamrolling and that is AWESOME. Where he could improve is a) the teams understanding of the rules b) situational performance.

not easy things, but I believe it’s a big part of what lead to Brady/Belichick’s success

Actually, Josh knew the rules to a T yesterday when he didn’t clock the ball after bobbling the snap at the end of the first half. I looked up the rule, and if you don’t immediately spike the ball it is a fumble.

5 minutes ago, FrenchConnection said:

How much depth do you think a team can have at any position group when your gameday roster is limited to 48 players? We were down to our 3rd string center and had backups playing out of position across the line. No team can withstand that.

I agree with that, but the line was bad all day even when it was only down Morse and it is, definitely, a pattern now of us failing with the ball last to win games because of oline breakdowns. Maybe if our starters were still in it would all have been fine yesterday but I'm not convinced. We got beaten up front pretty bad all day and guy that actually gave away the big penalty on that last drive - Quess - played BETTER than the starter he replaced overall. 

14 minutes ago, FrenchConnection said:

Actually, Josh knew the rules to a T yesterday when he didn’t clock the ball after bobbling the snap at the end of the first half. I looked up the rule, and if you don’t immediately spike the ball it is a fumble.

Sure felt like another panicky costly blunder 

11 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

I agree with that, but the line was bad all day even when it was only down Morse and it is, definitely, a pattern now of us failing with the ball last to win games because of oline breakdowns. Maybe if our starters were still in it would all have been fine yesterday but I'm not convinced. We got beaten up front pretty bad all day and guy that actually gave away the big penalty on that last drive - Quess - played BETTER than the starter he replaced overall. 

Somebody pointed out that Morse being out was huge because he calls the coverages pre-snap. 

4 minutes ago, FrenchConnection said:

Somebody pointed out that Morse being out was huge because he calls the coverages pre-snap. 

He does help Josh with protection schemes rather than coverages. He helps call the protections. So yes, him being out is a miss, of course. But we still have some JAGs around him and Dion. 

14 hours ago, Bangarang said:

It’s not a drop. The defender knocked it out of his hands. You’re wrong. 

No, you’re wrong.

Davis has had issues with contested plays his entire career.  For all of his size and strength he has always had difficulty fighting at the catch point.  Always.  That was 100% a catch he could and should have made.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

I'd like the sneaks back in the playbook too, no question. But forget the series on the goalline for a moment. We still had the ball again after that with enough time only needing a FG. The offensive line failed us, again. In a big spot. You can pretend that is on coaching but ultimately that is on talent. When it comes to the crunch and it is your guy vs my guy and someone has to make a play our offensive line comes up small every time. Why? Because we keep patching it up with guys who are at best serviceable rather than really prioritising it. 

But this ignores the point that poor coaching decisions put us in the position to need a last minute score.

- QB sneak at the goal line and we likely don’t need a last minute score

- Don’t waste a timeout on a PUNT and we likely have another 3 points (field goal before half time)

etc

I also have a hard time blaming the linemen at that point of the game. They were exhausted.

• Disagree 1

15 minutes ago, Coach Tuesday said:

No, you’re wrong.

Davis has had issues with contested plays his entire career.  For all of his size and strength he has always had difficulty fighting at the catch point.  Always.  That was 100% a catch he could and should have made.

Either you struggle to understand the difference between a drop and a pass breakup or you don’t care and just want to be a troll. It’s sad either way.

• Haha (+1) 1

Sure would be nice McDermott, if we were on the other side of more of these "named" games,,  Hail Murray X,  13 Seconds X,  even the "butt punt" is being talked about this morning all over national media, and yet WE still lost.  The joke is on Buffalo.

Just now, zow2 said:

Sure would be nice McDermott, if we were on the other side of more of these "named" games,,  Hail Murray X,  13 Seconds X,  even the "butt punt" is being talked about this morning all over national media, and yet WE still lost.  The joke is on Buffalo.

“Most talented roster in the league” yet all of the close games we lose.

Hmm…

If he had taken another step while maintianing possession then I think yes the chances are it would have been called a touchdown on the field and reviewing would have been academic anyway. 

There is an inconsistency in the NFL rulebook - I will grant you this - that a running back can lose control of the ball a millisecond after he has broken the plane of the goalline and it is a touchdown regardless. But for a catch in the endzone the usual catch rules apply. I get why it is that way but it is frustratingly inconsistent. 

I gave up on this idiotic NFL parsing of a catch,when Dez Bryant was ruled incomplete v.s. the Packers Playoff game.

100% Bryant changed from a WR to a RB, the moment his feet hit the ground. And like any trained Receiver he reached the ball out to spike the Goal Line! Becoming a Running Back doing exactly the same thing.

THAT WAS HIS FOOTBALL MOVE… REACHING FOR THE GOAL LINE!

45 minutes ago, Coach Tuesday said:

No, you’re wrong.

@Bangarang you are correct

Davis caught that ball cleanly. It wasn't contested at the catch point.

1604900594_Davis01.thumb.jpg.6d0c3faf1f8b83c478f33053e82c19d7.jpg

Tucked it away

444739889_Davis02.jpg.b627c24d484c53d256dd9f0293cec8ba.jpg

The defender got his hand on the ball

685256488_Davis03.thumb.jpg.f77124b00869625bfa905a4d7d1e86a7.jpg

And then on Davis' hand

1786299746_Davis04.thumb.jpg.9f08aae0adf38f0cdc022c8b2c486b75.jpg

And caused the ball to come out

1731960383_Davis05.thumb.jpg.870cf12a1b73f3f6c37883c174f5de4c.jpg

It was a good defensive play

Edited by billsfan1959

12 minutes ago, Billsatlastin2018 said:

If he had taken another step while maintianing possession then I think yes the chances are it would have been called a touchdown on the field and reviewing would have been academic anyway. 

There is an inconsistency in the NFL rulebook - I will grant you this - that a running back can lose control of the ball a millisecond after he has broken the plane of the goalline and it is a touchdown regardless. But for a catch in the endzone the usual catch rules apply. I get why it is that way but it is frustratingly inconsistent. 

I gave up on this idiotic NFL parsing of a catch,when Dez Bryant was ruled incomplete v.s. the Packers Playoff game.

100% Bryant changed from a WR to a RB, the moment his feet hit the ground. And like any trained Receiver he reached the ball out to spike the Goal Line! Becoming a Running Back doing exactly the same thing.

THAT WAS HIS FOOTBALL MOVE… REACHING FOR THE GOAL LINE!

This wasnt the rule at the time of the Dez catch and was changed to this because of that

50 minutes ago, Coach Tuesday said:

No, you’re wrong.

Had the same thought...and Davis' catch rate in seasons 1 and 2 were below 57%.  And considering that he has Josh throwing him the ball and not some pedestrian type QB, that's sub-par for this team.

• Agree 2

15 hours ago, Cheektowaga Chad said:

I've been on the McDermott sucks at in game coaching decisions for a while, more and more people are realizing it now

The issue is that McDermott is also a great coach in every facet/measure besides in game/split second decisions

I stand by that he continue to improve but it's starting to get frustrating because the same issues are starting to pop up - mostly conservative defensive calls in key situations 

McD has done a great job creating a strong culture, his game day execution is horrendous.  He is the single reason for a missed AFC Championship game and multiple other losses.  I know the fan boys will say otherwise, but it’s time to move on.  The team will be better without him.  JA has made up for a lot of his sins, but if you continue to rely on one guy overcoming terrible coaching, you become the Packers.

15 hours ago, Royale with Cheese said:

3rd string center

3rd string guard

2nd string RT

5th string CB

Back up CB

Diggs had to come off the field every other play in the 4th.

McKenzie had to go out multiple times.

Second string SS

Second string FS

Back up DT

2 practice squad DT called up.

Kumerow who has played decently also leaves with an injury.

100 degree heat index and no shade.

Thats what we dealt with today.

Yeah, it looked like a MASH unit on the sidelines. People stretching all game, coming out for injuries and fatigue after every play it seemed like. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.