Poor coaching by McDermott is becoming a theme

Einstein

16 minutes ago, DabillsDaBillsDaBills said:

Has anyone mentioned taking a timeout on the Dolphins 1st punt? 

Wasting that timeout blew our chance at a FG at the end of the 1st half.

Wow, totally forgot about that timeout before the punt.

What in the world was that about.

2 hours ago, Royale with Cheese said:

3rd string center

3rd string guard

2nd string RT

5th string CB

Back up CB

Diggs had to come off the field every other play in the 4th.

McKenzie had to go out multiple times.

Second string SS

Second string FS

Back up DT

2 practice squad DT called up.

Kumerow who has played decently also leaves with an injury.

100 degree heat index and no shade.

Thats what we dealt with today.

I was watching with 2 Chicken Little’s today. Bills suck, bad coaching, etc. it’s early and we’re banged up. 

great points about the heat index. That’s brutal!!

I disagree, but only because threads like these pop up any time we lose, while credit goes unnoticed when we win.

And McDermott has accomplished far more winning than losing.

Same is true for all our coaches. Whenever Josh didn't play well last year, it was Daboll's fault. When the defense didn't make a stop, it was Frazier's fault.

Yet when we're playing with a skeleton crew defense filled with rookies, undrafted FA's & backups, holding the Dolphins to 219 yards & basically containing Hill/Waddle, where are the threads praising Frazier's defensive prowess? 

When McDermott has the balls to keep pushing the pace & forgo punting, putting trust in Dorsey & his offense, where's his praise? What about Dorsey's for providing Allen a smooth transition from coordinator to coordinator, dialing up all the right plays designed with Josh's comforts & strengths in mind?

But no, we have armchair play callers only hopping on to bash any mistake or failure.

Andy Reid, the guy who is constantly talked up as the best offensive mind in the game, couldn't coach his Chiefs past the 0-1-1 Colts today. Belichick's defense just had the Ravens drop 37 on them. SB winner, offensive Guru Sean McVay (5-0 in home openers) couldn't put get his team more than 10 points against the Bills...

TL;DR - ALL coaches make mistakes, ALL have shortcomings, ALL lose games, but that doesn't mean they aren't still great. 

• Like (+1) 2

7 minutes ago, Einstein said:

Wow, totally forgot about that timeout before the punt.

What in the world was that about.

The only way I could justify it is if we had 12 men on the field and wanted to avoid a penalty, or they had an uncovered gunner that they could throw too.

The broadcast was worthless though so I have no idea. 

Brutally bad timeout

• Agree 1

7 minutes ago, Breakout Squad said:

Like a coach can just throw the challenge flag anytime he wants an explanation?!

4 minutes ago, Bermuda Triangle said:

Rules, like NFL concussion protocols, are meant to be conveniently ignored.

I've seen it called as a Delay of Game but I'm not sure what benchmarks have to be met to consider it a penalty.

Or maybe coach gets one warning first?

If you throw it in an instance that doesn't qualify you should probably at least lose a challenge or a TO.

Just now, DabillsDaBillsDaBills said:

The only way I could justify it is if we had 12 men on the field and wanted to avoid a penalty, or they had an uncovered gunner that they could throw too.

Brutally bad timeout

I assumed he saw something that smelled like a fake.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, DabillsDaBillsDaBills said:

Brutally bad timeout

A very consistent theme of McDermott's is his love of pissing away timeouts in situations where he (and only he) thinks it's important to burn a TO.

He does this all the time and has done this since the beginning.

It's one of his many "in game tactician" flaws.

Note how Bill Belichick ALWAYS finds a way to hang onto all 3 of his TOs for crunch time when he needs them.

• Eyeroll 1
  • Agree 1

21 minutes ago, Einstein said:

You may want to research logical fallacies.

Hacket being worse doesn’t make McDermott good.

That is correct, which is unusual for someone who started such a lazy and ridiculous thread.

McDermott being good is what makes McDermott being good. It's more complex than that, of course, and I expressed it as it's own logical fallacy. But the point is true.

The reason people say in overwhelming numbers that McDermott is good is that he does good things for the team, things good coaches do. In far larger numbers than the bad things he does. No coach is perfect. McDermott is one of the best in the league.

I haven't been here after the game till just now, so many people have already probably said this and things like it. But down the road this game will almost surely be seen as this year's version of the first Pats game last year when the conditions had a far out-sized effect on the game and made it a bizarre outlier.

• Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.