Poor coaching by McDermott is becoming a theme

Einstein

2 hours ago, Einstein said:

I am a member of a general NFL forum and they have told me for the better part of a year now that McDermott holds our roster back. I’ve brushed off these comments for some time, but i’m starting to see their point.

- 0 and 7 in one score games the last two seasons

- Challenging a clear Titans catch last week was indefensible

- Not challenging a potential Gabe Davis TD this week was indefensible 

- Playing shallow coverage on 3rd and 22, allowing TWO seperate receivers to get open deep, is indefensible

- Not having your WR’s ready to go down with enough time to spike the ball

- Don’t even get me started on 13 seconds

- Our inability to win short yardage situations for several years is indefensible.

- We as a team seem to have removed QB sneak from the play book. We never run it. Ever. See this tweet for how I feel about that. Hard to think that’s not a directive from the top, seeing that two separate OC’s refuse to call it.

Yeah fire him. You people are absolutely ridiculous. You'll be the same person praising him next week after we beat Baltimore. Is he perfect? No. Is any coach? No.  We lost one game. We've been to the conference championship, division championship, and play offs the last 4 years. We have a superstar QB.

you're complaining about a game where we lost by 2 with 2 rookies at corner and 2 6th round draft picks (second years) at safety? 

Dude, get a grip. 

• Like (+1) 3

You have to catch, control, two feet AND a move common to the game. He didn't have the last bit.

This is the rule for non-TD catches.  Does it apply to TD catches?  If so how are those toe drag TD catches with the receiver making the catch while leaning out of bounds ruled catches.  There is a catch, control and two feet in but where's the "move common to the game?"

15 minutes ago, pigpen65 said:

Guy is definitely a choker in close games. He always loses them 

Agreed.

I can't believe he didn't make that 38 yard FG. I can't believe he didn't hang onto that Allen pass in the endzone. I can't believe he dropped that pick 6...not to mention short hopping it to a wide open McKenzie for a TD.

There were other plays I could mention his suckiness as well.

He's a scrub.

Edited by Beast
  • Haha (+1) 1

Why did McDermott play stall ball instead of letting Josh score early and often? All it did was wear out our team in the heat! McDermott is always  over thinking. We’ve got a  Ferrari Quarterback-let him score. Stop< Dunking and Dunking. That kind of  game plan is for subpar quarterbacks. McDermott is micromanaging the game plan too much!

I do not like McDermott in a game situation at all. I do not think he has the ability to see what needs to be done to win a game under not normal circumstances or make the correct decision under a stressful important key time of a game. I have only seen conservative and mish mash leadership during those instances. It works once in awhile, ex. the pick 6 against the Ravens in the playoffs two years ago. Andy Reid was like that, he finally one a Super Bowl, and he had overwhelming talent to do it with.  We "had" that until last week. This game was lost by players being injured prior, and non hydrated or prepared for the heat they encountered. A few bad coaching calls, and missed plays being made. Not all on the coach. But he is partly responsible, he did not do enough to get the win. It's one loss, not the end of the world. I am not bothered by the loss itself, I am bothered by the lack of preparedness of the team, which could be due to the loss of a day of a short week. We will win the division, but he has to get better if they are to win the Super Bowl for sure.

• Like (+1) 2

1 minute ago, popcornpam said:

Why did McDermott play stall ball instead of letting Josh score early and often? All it did was wear out our team in the heat! McDermott is always  over thinking. We’ve got a  Ferrari Quarterback-let him score. Stop< Dunking and Dunking. That kind of  game plan is for subpar quarterbacks. McDermott is micromanaging the game plan too much!

Running the clock out on ourselves. I hate that so much. When you are behind, you don’t run the clock out. Teams do it in the NBA constantly. You are trying to catch up. Score as fast as you can. Why put pressure on yourself 

• Like (+1) 1

I wouldn’t call it poor coaching, but he does show a tendency to wet his pants in big spots.  

I think best example is his calling a TO last week against Tenn with 2 seconds on game clock and Titans defender jumps Offside but it’s negated by McDermott getting jumpy.  Cost us potentially 4 points.  

He obviously choked in the 13 seconds against Chiefs.  I think Josh is similar to McDermott. They’re intense try-hard types that can sometimes lose their heads, but I’m glad they’re both on our side.  

I was there...it was brutally hot and the bills bench is right in the sun...phins are in the shade. That said...we def should have tried the fg at the half. The team had 3 or 5 outs to win thay game. It's a bummer but probably not the worst thing. Now we can put all the automatic SB talk to bed and get back to work.

14 minutes ago, popcornpam said:

Why did McDermott play stall ball

The offense played "stall" ball; that is, short passes, because Miami was blitzing and Josh was playing behind a make-shift OL for most of the game.  He mostly did not have time to wait for deep passing routes to develop.

The offensive game play was good but as a result of other factors (mosyly the beastly hot & humid weather) the offense could not get it done.

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.