Poor coaching by McDermott is becoming a theme

Einstein

1 hour ago, Einstein said:

I am a member of a general NFL forum and they have told me for the better part of a year now that McDermott holds our roster back. I’ve brushed off these comments for some time, but i’m starting to see their point.

- 0 and 7 in one score games the last two seasons

- Challenging a clear Titans catch last week was indefensible

- Not challenging a potential Gabe Davis TD this week was indefensible 

- Playing shallow coverage on 3rd and 22, allowing TWO seperate receivers to get open deep, is indefensible

- Not having your WR’s ready to go down with enough time to spike the ball

- Don’t even get me started on 13 seconds

- Our inability to win short yardage situations for several years is indefensible.

- We as a team seem to have removed QB sneak from the play book. We never run it. Ever. See this tweet for how I feel about that. Hard to think that’s not a directive from the top, seeing that two separate OC’s refuse to call it.

I’ll say it until he proves me wrong…

He isn’t going to lead us to a Super Bowl. He’s the wrong guy for this team. Record in close games and clock management proves this.

He single handily cost us a super bowl last year with his absolute idiotic coaching with 13 seconds left in a football game.

• Eyeroll 1

7 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

If he had taken another step while maintianing possession then I think yes the chances are it would have been called a touchdown on the field and reviewing would have been academic anyway. 

There is an inconsistency in the NFL rulebook - I will grant you this - that a running back can lose control of the ball a millisecond after he has broken the plane of the goalline and it is a touchdown regardless. But for a catch in the endzone the usual catch rules apply. I get why it is that way but it is frustratingly inconsistent. 

So one more toe tap makes up for an act common to the game?

This all seems so ridiculous.

I am a member of a general NFL forum and they have told me for the better part of a year now that McDermott holds our roster back. I’ve brushed off these comments for some time, but i’m starting to see their point.

- Playing shallow coverage on 3rd and 22, allowing TWO seperate receivers to get open deep, is indefensible

- Our inability to win short yardage situations for several years is indefensible.

- We as a team seem to have removed QB sneak from the play book. We never run it. Ever. See this tweet for how I feel about that. Hard to think that’s not a directive from the top, seeing that two separate OC’s refuse to call it.

51-32

• Like (+1) 1

The problem for me with this loss is that it's BBFS all over again.  JA17 is the reason why this game wasn't awful overall, but not sure about the coaching, not sure about the game plan, and most certainly the number of mistakes were off the chart.

I've seen this type of game over and over -- over the decades -- and it's hopefully not a harbinger this time around.  You hope for the best, and I know it's game 3 and all, but that effort, injuries and all, wasn't good today.  At all.

How many coaches would have had their team not only in position to win but also pretty much dominate the game with their entire starting secondary out, 2 DTs out, and their starting C.

Then lose a starting CB, replace him with a PS rookie for over half the game, go down to your 3rd strong center, lose 4 other OLine players and have them playing positions they never have before.

90% of teams in this league would have gotten blown out, not been in position to win.

• Like (+1) 2

The play to Gabe in the endzone wasn't going to be overturned.  The problem on 3rd and 22 is we only rushed 3 guys.  We were getting pressure on Tua all day.  If anything we should have blitzed 5 and given him no time to get the ball way downfield.  I was livid at that defense.  

• Agree 2

I will say that watching Dorsey react made me wish he was our HC.  

This team is good enough to be aggressive at all times, and I don’t get the vibe from him that he’d be kicking a ton of FG’s and letting Frazier rush 3 with a secondary full of puppies out there. 

That said … McDermott had them ready to play.  That was a gutsy effort given the circumstances.   The mistakes that lost the game were player caused. 

Edited by SCBills

By the end of the game, Josh was not Josh.  I don't know if it was the heat, or watching all his teammates struggle with the heat, or his hurt hand.  The Josh we know doesn't blow the throw to McKenzie that would have won the game.  I am not criticizing him, I'm sort of applauding his courageous attempt to overcome everything, but mostly I'm saying we all need to relax.  The conditions of the game, traveling to southern Florida on a short week after all these injuries, in this heat -- and losing by either two seconds of clock time or two points, against a very good opponent -- were the perfect storm, and yet he almost pulled it out.  

The Josh we know is the Josh we saw at the start of the game, hitting his first 10 or 11 passes, calmly dissecting the defense.  That guy will be back on the field next week.  

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, SCBills said:

and letting Frazier rush 3 with a secondary full of puppies out there

Or maybe he only rushed 3 on many occasions because he had a secondary full of puppies out there who needed all the help in pass pro that they could give them? The Dolphins scored 21 points (including 7 on a very short field turnover) against a horribly depleted defense. I can't say anything negative about how Frazier handled that situation.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1
  • Dislike 1

30 minutes ago, Einstein said:

What a time to be alive. Anyone who has an opinion different than your own is a “troll”.

When you say things like the Titans have a better roster than the Bills, Jeffrey Simmons is a better defensive player than TJ Watt and Micah Parsons and Allen Robinson is a top 10 WR….it sounds trollish.

• Agree 1

What is “shallow coverage”?

Anyone blaming the coaches in this L is friggin nutty. Yeah, you’d like to have a couple calls back in retrospect BUT - if the players executed just one of numerous plays that were there to be made, we win. This loss is on the players and the lack of execution. Yes, the coaching could be better but al the points we left on the field were not the result of coaching decisions.

• Agree 2

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.