Poor coaching by McDermott is becoming a theme

Einstein

4 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

But didn't make a football move (which can include tucking the ball away btw) and didn't have time to do so. Because as he was tucking it away the DB knocked it loose. 

You are flogging a dead horse here. There is 0% chance that would have been overturned.

Let’s talk about what-if it wasn’t overturned.

Would that have been the worse thing?

The players were exhausted, it was about to be third down, we need to get in the endzone - would the extended timeout have been good despite the chance they lose the challenge?

Perhaps more fitting than calling timeout on the next drive on a random mid-field(ish) first down!

• Disagree 1

6 minutes ago, Einstein said:

“Control” can’t be an act common to the game since it is another named section (A/B).

Gabe had control and 2 feet down.

So if he toe taps, then immediately

tosses it to the ref… incomplete?

(i’m setting you up)

I’m not sure what you don’t understand. It’s not that complicated. 

1 minute ago, GunnerBill said:

A player cannot toe tap and then immediately throw to the ref. Because after the tap he will need to re

And there it is.

Yet this just happened 2 years ago and it was ruled a catch. I’ll get the footage when I’m home.

1 minute ago, Bangarang said:

I’m not sure what you don’t understand. It’s not that complicated. 

I do understand. Not sure that others do, though.

• Disagree 1

3 minutes ago, zow2 said:

Remember when the Bucs kept getting close with Dungy, then finally had enough and traded for John Gruden.  
Gruden then lead them to a Super Bowl win.

Not saying Mcdermott is in trouble, but it’s an example of what has happened in the past with a Championship caliber team.

Nah dude. Beane and McD have built a culture here and an atmosphere that players gravitate to. Look at Jordan Phillips and Shaq Lawson, they wanted to come back here. Problem is we’ve had injury after injury and we have noob OC/play caller.

1 minute ago, CoudyBills said:

I notice you didn't address the only part that matter.  HOLD ON TO THE ******* BALL

What is there to address? The defender made a great play to knock the ball out. Ideally I would’ve preferred a TD, obviously, but I’m not going to fault Gabe as if he did something terribly wrong.

3 minutes ago, Einstein said:

I do understand. Not sure that others do, though.

Clearly you don’t.

Just now, GunnerBill said:

Please do. Because I am 100% sure it doesn't show what you think it shows.

I’m in the car, but if memory serves correctly it shows exactly that. Player toe taps, takes one step out of bounds and throws it at refs. I remember thinking it was odd. That’s why I was setting you up.

• Eyeroll 1

Just now, Einstein said:

I’m in the car, but if memory serves correctly it shows exactly that. Player toe taps, takes one step out of bounds and throws it at refs. I remember thinking it was odd. That’s why I was setting you up.

One step out of bounds - exactly. That satisfies C. You often hear the rules analyst guys refer to it as "the third foot" which they equate with sufficient time to make a football move if you were in the field. 

Edited by GunnerBill
  • Thank you (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

Diggs is great. They need more IMO. It’s Allen, Diggs and then some above average to JAGs out there… coupled with an average to below average starting offensive line that struggles with the running game… and thats why you get a game like today where Josh is doing just about EVERYTHING to will his team to victory. 

This is unfortunately where I’m at. It was nice to think that Gabe and Knox would become top tier options this season but it just hasn’t happened yet. They’re nice contributors, but this team needs another gamebreaker.

• Agree 1

1 minute ago, Einstein said:

Sounds like this player to be named later completed the process of a catch. 

• Agree 1

41 minutes ago, Einstein said:

I am a member of a general NFL forum and they have told me for the better part of a year now that McDermott holds our roster back. I’ve brushed off these comments for some time, but i’m starting to see their point.

- 0 and 7 in one score games the last two seasons

- Challenging a clear Titans catch last week was indefensible

- Not challenging a potential Gabe Davis TD this week was indefensible 

- Playing shallow coverage on 3rd and 22, allowing TWO seperate receivers to get open deep, is indefensible

- Not having your WR’s ready to go down with enough time to spike the ball

- Don’t even get me started on 13 seconds

- Our inability to win short yardage situations for several years is indefensible.

- We as a team seem to have removed QB sneak from the play book. We never run it. Ever. See this tweet for how I feel about that. Hard to think that’s not a directive from the top, seeing that two separate OC’s refuse to call it.

-not worried about last year

-not worried about last game (41-7 win)

-Gabe Davis not a TD

-McD doesn’t call the defense

-Doesn’t control whether the WR’s go down or not. They know the drill, Mackenzie said as much, post game.

-13 seconds was last year, again.

-short yardage is a problem, not having 3 starting lineman, including your center, and backup center, who calls out protections doesn’t help.

-QB sneaks arent very sneaky when you have JA. Fins defense was keyed on it all day and our O-line wasn’t winning at the LOS. 

Losing a game is tough, and excuses never go over well, but there was 20 reasons the Bills came up short today, none more egregious then the players themselves not being able to make a play when it was there.

i.e.

Gabe Davis dropped TD

JA mis-firing to McKenzie in the EZ

Matt Milano dropping a walk in pick-6

Tyler Bass missing a 38 yard fg

Turning the ball over inside your own 10

At 1 point we were down 10/22 starters. Your not gonna win every week, and as fans we’ll question everything when we’re hurting, but let’s keep things within reason.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 3

There were two mistakes, I thought…

Not going for it on 4th and 4, up 3

Rushing 3 on 3rd and long, coming off the heels of getting pressure on Tua

Horrible feel for the game flow on both of those.   He couldn’t foresee Bass missing the FG, but weird things like this happen when you turtle up.  

End of the day though.. players didn’t execute.  There’s obviously reasons for that, but Allen had an open TD schemed up.. missed the throw.  Gabe, looking about 50% out there, dropped a TD.  Dialed up a deep shot deep in our own end and guys missed their block on Allen’s blind side and sack/fumble giving the Dolphins 1st and Goal.  

This game was NOT on the coaches.  The rushing 3 bull**** needs to stop though.  Legit losing patience for that. 

Edited by SCBills
  • Like (+1) 7

10 minutes ago, Einstein said:

So Gabe simply needed to take one more mini step and then drop it?

If he had taken another step while maintianing possession then I think yes the chances are it would have been called a touchdown on the field and reviewing would have been academic anyway. 

There is an inconsistency in the NFL rulebook - I will grant you this - that a running back can lose control of the ball a millisecond after he has broken the plane of the goalline and it is a touchdown regardless. But for a catch in the endzone the usual catch rules apply. I get why it is that way but it is frustratingly inconsistent. 

Edited by GunnerBill
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.