Poor coaching by McDermott is becoming a theme

Einstein

1 minute ago, Einstein said:

So C is removed?

No. He must maintain control long enough to do so. You telling me you have never seen a player toe tap on the sideline and then lose control of the ball as he goes out of bounds and be called incomplete? 

You must maintain control of the ball long enough to do so. 

The rule is literally what the rule says.

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

No. He must maintain control long enough to do so. You telling me you have never seen a player toe tap on the sideline and then lose control of the ball as he goes out of bounds and be called incomplete? 

You must maintain control of the ball long enough to do so. 

The rule is literally what the rule says.

It can’t be any clearer.  He’s arguing for the sake of arguing because its to complain against McDermott.

1 minute ago, GunnerBill said:

No. He must maintain control long enough to do so.

On a toe tap there is literally not enough time to do so.

A toe tap is quicker than Gabe had the ball.

If C is applicable in all circumstances then toe-taps are all incompletions as there is not enough time to have an act common to the game.

And as you pointed out, the catch is not enough. You need the act too.

• Disagree 1

Just now, ScottLaw said:

Yea… no question I think Bills beat Dolphins fully healthy or even half healthy… however the flaws from last season remain. Shotty offensive line play, lack of playmakers outside of Allen, and coaching flaws in game.

Stefon Diggs is top 2 since 2020 in catches and yards.  League leader in TD catches coming into this game.  Nope, Allen is the only playmaker.

Just now, Einstein said:

If C is applicable in all circumstances then toe-taps are all incompletions as there is not enough time to have an act common to the game.

No. On a toe tap the player as he goes out of bounds must maintain control long enough for there to be a football move. If he were to toe tap with control in bounds and as the "third foot" hits out of bounds drop the ball that is incomplete because he hasn't satisfied (C). And you always see that called incomplete too.

• Like (+1) 1

16 minutes ago, Einstein said:

The answer is in your reply.

The last 12 words to be precise.

You do NOT need an act common to the game in the endzone.

When was the last time you saw a player juke, extend the ball, turn upfield, etc IN THE ENDZONE?

You don’t.

"...or he maintains control of the ball long enough to do so."

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Einstein said:

Establishing control and going out of bounds with said control is the act.

Edited by Bangarang
  • Like (+1) 1

34 minutes ago, Einstein said:

I am a member of a general NFL forum and they have told me for the better part of a year now that McDermott holds our roster back. I’ve brushed off these comments for some time, but i’m starting to see their point.

- 0 and 7 in one score games the last two seasons

- Challenging a clear Titans catch last week was indefensible

- Not challenging a potential Gabe Davis TD this week was indefensible 

- Playing shallow coverage on 3rd and 22, allowing TWO seperate receivers to get open deep, is indefensible

- Not having your WR’s ready to go down with enough time to spike the ball

- Don’t even get me started on 13 seconds

- Our inability to win short yardage situations for several years is indefensible.

- We as a team seem to have removed QB sneak from the play book. We never run it. Ever. See this tweet for how I feel about that. Hard to think that’s not a directive from the top, seeing that two separate OC’s refuse to call it.

What is this 13 seconds you speak of? 

That Tweet in the OP is hilarious!  It comes right at the end so you have to be a little patient with it.

Regarding the other stuff, this is a legitimate complaint. I don't know what we would really do about it, though, other than hope we get a much better review/challenge process in place.

It's fair to point out that McDermott is NOT a good in-game tactician.  He's actually probably below average.

But what can you do?  It would be nice to think we could win a close game due to coaching brilliance, or that we enjoy some small advantage because of coaching.

In reality, it's the opposite--it benefits our opponent in a really close game...hopefully it won't matter this year on our way to a SB victory.

Just now, Bangarang said:

Establishing control and going out of bounds is the act.

“Control” can’t be an act common to the game since it is another named section (A/B).

Gabe had control and 2 feet down.

2 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

No. On a toe tap the player as he goes out of bounds must maintain control long enough for there to be a football move. If he were to toe tap with control in bounds and as the "third foot" hits out of bounds drop the ball that is incomplete because he hasn't satisfied (C). And you always see that called incomplete too.

So if he toe taps, then immediately

tosses it to the ref… incomplete?

(i’m setting you up)

• Disagree 1

Just now, Einstein said:

“Control” can’t be an act common to the game since it is another named section (A/B).

Gabe had control and 2 feet down.

But didn't make a football move (which can include tucking the ball away btw) and didn't have time to do so. Because as he was tucking it away the DB knocked it loose. 

You are flogging a dead horse here. There is 0% chance that would have been overturned.

• Like (+1) 1

Remember when the Bucs kept getting close with Dungy, then finally had enough and traded for John Gruden.  
Gruden then lead them to a Super Bowl win.

Not saying Mcdermott is in trouble, but it’s an example of what has happened in the past with a Championship caliber team.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Vomit 1

2 minutes ago, Einstein said:

So if he toe taps, then immediately

tosses it to the ref… incomplete?

(i’m setting you up)

A player cannot toe tap and then immediately throw to the ref. Because after the tap he will need to re-establish proper balance. You can't toe tap and land in one motion. If you toe tap, re-establish your balance (which is almost always the "third foot" coming down out of bounds) and at the end of that process you still posses the ball then you can toss it to who you want. C is satisfied. 

Let's imagine you toe tap and in the millisecond where you toe lifts up from the toe tap you throw the ball to the ref then yes, that is incomplete. But that doesn't happen because of gravity.

• Thank you (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.