Poor coaching by McDermott is becoming a theme

Einstein

5 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

And the Davis catch was not a touchdown. 

You have to catch, control, two feet AND a move common to the game. He didn't have the last bit. 

No way would that have been overturned.

Agreed. It would have been incredibly dumb to challenge that.

5 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

And the Davis catch was not a touchdown. 

You have to catch, control, two feet AND a move common to the game. He didn't have the last bit. 

No way would that have been overturned.

A “move common to the game” does not exist in the endzone.

You can catch a touchdown and then stand still. And it’s still a touchdown.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Disagree 1
  • Dislike 1

10 minutes ago, Einstein said:

I am a member of a general NFL forum and they have told me for the better part of a year now that McDermott holds our roster back. I’ve brushed off these comments for some time, but i’m starting to see their point.

- 0 and 7 in one score games the last two seasons

- Challenging a clear Titans catch last week was indefensible

- Not challenging a potential Gabe Davis TD this week was indefensible 

- Playing shallow coverage on 3rd and 22, allowing TWO seperate receivers to get open deep, is indefensible

- Not having your WR’s ready to go down with enough time to spike the ball

- Don’t even get me started on 13 seconds

- Our inability to win short yardage situations for several years is indefensible.

- We as a team seem to have removed QB sneak from the play book. We never run it. Ever. See this tweet for how I feel about that. Hard to think that’s not a directive from the top, seeing that two separate OC’s refuse to call it.

You are looking for one person to blame, huh? 

Edited by Bob in STL

Just now, Einstein said:

You should have stopped before posting this because now you’re just embarrassing yourself. 

• Haha (+1) 1

This is one of the stupidest posts I’ve read in a while.

McD was right not to challenge the Gabe drop. Gabe needs to hang on to the ball.

McKenzie tried to get outside and couldn’t make it, sucks but in retrospect he should have driven upfield sooner and given himself up. Always easy in retrospect. Not sure how that’s McD’s issue on a broken play.

13 second was a debacle agreed, but it was last year.

The 3rd and 22 was Fraziers call. My god we are playing 4 new DBs and at one point an UDFA at CB. Waddle and Hill should have been lighting us up and they didn’t. They gave up a bad play at the wrong time. Happens.

What a clown post.

• Like (+1) 3

4 minutes ago, FieldGeneral said:

0-7 in close games since last season isn't good. 

0-7 isn't an anomaly or trend. It clearly validates Sean's struggles in close games. 13 seconds was absolutely inexcusable and indefensible.  I will always admire McD for his vision in bringing culture and process to Buffalo.  But between blown challenges and strategy mishaps, he will never be remarkable in game time decisions. This has haunted him his whole career. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Disagree 1

7 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

3rd string center

3rd string guard

2nd string RT

5th string CB

Back up CB

Diggs had to come off the field every other play in the 4th.

McKenzie had to go out multiple times.

Second string SS

Second string FS

Back up DT

2 practice squad DT called up.

Kumerow who has played decently also leaves with an injury.

100 degree heat index and no shade.

Thats what we dealt with today.

What was the excuse for only putting up 14 in the first half?

3 minutes ago, whorlnut said:

I don’t disagree. I have been really down on McD since the 13 seconds. I feel he crapped his pants in a huge moment and doesn’t get enough criticism for it. I’m fact, the sight of him makes me a little queasy. 

That said…he’s our best option. He has helped build the team and deserves a lot of the credit. However…I wish he would push for more offensive help to take some of the burden off Allen. 

Yeah, I mean, a team that rarely punts and chews up the opposing defenses clearly is lacking on that side of the ball.

• Eyeroll 1

the 3rd and 22 was vintage Frazier

Seems like we waste times out every week (2 in the first half today, 1 in the second half today).  We have even 1 of those back, maybe we have tine to kick a FG.

Speaking of time...we seem to have a really hard time (KC game aside) running a crisp two minute offense.  It takes us a really long time to get down the field in those situations, the end of each half today being prime examples.

3 minutes ago, Einstein said:

I am afraid you are incorrect.

"A forward pass is complete (by the offense) or intercepted (by the defense) in the field of play, at the sideline, or in the end zone if a player, who is inbounds"

a. secures control of the ball in his hands or arms prior to the ball touching the ground; and

b. touches the ground inbounds with both feet or with any part of his body other than his hands; and

c. after (a) and (b) have been fulfilled, performs any act common to the game (e.g., tuck the ball away, extend it forward, take an additional step, turn upfield, or avoid or ward off an opponent), or he maintains control of the ball long enough to do so."

• Thank you (+1) 2

3 minutes ago, RunTheBall said:

This is one of the stupidest posts I’ve read in a while.

McD was right not to challenge the Gabe drop. Gabe needs to hang on to the ball.

McKenzie tried to get outside and couldn’t make it, sucks but in retrospect he should have driven upfield sooner and given himself up. Always easy in retrospect. Not sure how that’s McD’s issue on a broken play.

13 second was a debacle agreed, but it was last year.

The 3rd and 22 was Fraziers call. My god we are playing 4 new DBs and at one point an UDFA at CB. Waddle and Hill should have been lighting us up and they didn’t. They gave up a bad play at the wrong time. Happens.

What a clown post.

The issue on the 3rd and 22 isn't coverage, it is the purposeful lack of a pass rush.

• Like (+1) 3

Just now, GunnerBill said:

I am afraid you are incorrect.

"A forward pass is complete (by the offense) or intercepted (by the defense) in the field of play, at the sideline, or in the end zone if a player, who is inbounds"

a. secures control of the ball in his hands or arms prior to the ball touching the ground; and

b. touches the ground inbounds with both feet or with any part of his body other than his hands; and

c. after (a) and (b) have been fulfilled, performs any act common to the game (e.g., tuck the ball away, extend it forward, take an additional step, turn upfield, or avoid or ward off an opponent), or he maintains control of the ball long enough to do so."

Love it when some feel the need to spout off about the rules when they have no grasp of the rules they’re spouting off about. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.