NFLPA initiating investigation into Tua’s concussion protocol

YoloinOhio

42 minutes ago, TheBrownBear said:

Omalu is pretty much anti-football in general, so it's not surprising he's the one saying it.  There is no way in hell Tua retires now assuming he makes a full recovery from this concussion.  I could see it with another major concussion on the heels of this one, but my understanding is that this is the first major concussion he's suffered in his career.  People are right to be appalled at how the last two weeks played out for Tua, but this "he should retire" talk is way over the top, imo.

I don't know.  Tua could elect to retire based on medical advice and then sue the hell out of the NFL, Dolphins,  medical staff and anyone else involved. Public opinion would be on his side and imagine the amount of money he could  get. 

1 minute ago, die hard bills fan said:

I don't know.  Tua could elect to retire based on medical advice and then sue the hell out of the NFL, Dolphins,  medical staff and anyone else involved. Public opinion would be on his side and imagine the amount of money he could  get. 

Yes, he could do all of that, but, by all accounts, he's a guy that, first and foremost, loves football and wants to play.  He's not looking for a payday.  He's looking for the opportunity to play the game that he loves.

6 minutes ago, TheBrownBear said:

Yes, he could do all of that, but, by all accounts, he's a guy that, first and foremost, loves football and wants to play.  He's not looking for a payday.  He's looking for the opportunity to play the game that he loves.

He's looking for both. A big payday while playing the game loves.

If I'm Tua, no matter how much I love the game, when an expert of Omalu's caliber says he should think about retiring, I would at least give it a little thought.

There's a reason Omalu is anti-football and we all know what that reason is. He came into this not having a side, but his experience in this has shown him it doesn't end well for the player nor their family and friends.

You’ve seen movies where they catch the spy and then torture him to make him talk?  He endures pulled finger nails, broken bones, etc. After tons of punishment, the guy cracks and talks. I tell my wife, you know the guy should have just spilled the beans in the beginning and saved all the torture. He ends up in the same place. That’s Tua. He probably won’t retire but he’s made of glass and he’s going to have an injury riddled career, whether with concussions or other injuries. Either way, he’s not really built to take football punishment. 

1 hour ago, LOVEMESOMEBILLS said:

If I'm Tua, no matter how much I love the game, when an expert of Omalu's caliber says he should think about retiring, I would at least give it a little thought.

There's a reason Omalu is anti-football and we all know what that reason is. He came into this not having a side, but his experience in this has shown him it doesn't end well for the player nor their family and friends.

Dr Will Smith guy is against all football. Of course he would say that. 

even though the did discover CTE iit s not even a settled science, unfortunately. We still do not now enough about it.

Tua got his bell rung hard a few times and probably needs to have that into consideration for the next time it happens. 

1 hour ago, LOVEMESOMEBILLS said:

the doctor has never been in the same room as him. 

he should be asking doctors about the ranges of outcomes and likelihood. 

he should be having conversations with those he trusts about what’s important to him. 

someone who knows nothing of his priorities, and very little about his medical chart should not be telling him what decision to make via the media. That is more about attention than genuine advice. 

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Malazan said:

So a doctor that doesn't know Tua.. didn't examine him and has never even met him.. thinks he should retire..

This is someone attention seeking. Don't give them the attention. 

Omalu is a pathologist. The only way he'd examine Tua is if he had a piece of his brain tissue to put under a microscope. 

56 minutes ago, NoSaint said:

the doctor has never been in the same room as him. 

he should be asking doctors about the ranges of outcomes and likelihood. 

he should be having conversations with those he trusts about what’s important to him. 

someone who knows nothing of his priorities, and very little about his medical chart should not be telling him what decision to make via the media. That is more about attention than genuine advice. 

I disagree. Chances are anyone Tua is going to talk to won't know nearly as much about brain trauma and the long term effect on the brain. What does Tua's priorities have anything to do with whether, medically, he should retire or not? From a medical standpoint he either should or shouldn't.

Most likely Omalu was probably asked something along the lines of "If Tua asked you what he should do what would you tell him"? Of course he's going to say he should retire, he's seen the end results and the destructive path it leaves over and over.

I mean I'm not a fan of his message, but what we saw last Thursday night is not normal, it was a very severe concussion. Experts don't need to examine him to know this, there's plenty of video evidence.

50 minutes ago, LOVEMESOMEBILLS said:

I mean I'm not a fan of his message, but what we saw last Thursday night is not normal, it was a very severe concussion. Experts don't need to examine him to know this, there's plenty of video evidence.

The bolded is the urgent crux of this entire boondoggle: there was CLEAR, IMMEDIATE VIDEO EVIDENCE OF BRAIN TRAUMA in the Bills game. It was explicit and unmistakable. To see that player re-enter the game was so incredibly disheartening for the ethical health of the sport. And then to watch him play four days later and suffer a compounding injury was downright negligence. 

• Like (+1) 4

1 minute ago, Richard Noggin said:

The bolded is the urgent crux of this entire boondoggle: there was CLEAR, IMMEDIATE VIDEO EVIDENCE OF BRAIN TRAUMA in the Bills game. It was explicit and unmistakable. To see that player re-enter the game was so incredibly disheartening for the ethical health of the sport. And then to watch him play four days later and suffer a compounding injury was downright negligence. 

I agree. I was dumbfounded when I saw him re-enter the game. He was clearly punch drunk when he got up from the hit. Before that when he sat up he placed both hands on his helmet, a telltale sign that he got his bell rung. Also when he rose to his feet he gave 2 real quick shakes of his head, yet another sign he was trying to clear the cob webs. How the spotter missed all these indicators is beyond me..

6 hours ago, TheBrownBear said:

Omalu is pretty much anti-football in general, so it's not surprising he's the one saying it.  There is no way in hell Tua retires now assuming he makes a full recovery from this concussion.  I could see it with another major concussion on the heels of this one, but my understanding is that this is the first major concussion he's suffered in his career.  People are right to be appalled at how the last two weeks played out for Tua, but this "he should retire" talk is way over the top, imo.

One of the friends of my family worked with Omalu.  He did nor start off anti-football.

• Like (+1) 2

Watching McDaniels continue to double down on his position that he was confident Tua was fine in light of the obvious is like a slow motion train wreck.  Everybody who watched both games knows what happened and why - the most obvious evidence was for everyone to observe and overshadows any more specific testing that occurred.  McDaniel’s rationalizations in light of the obvious are attempts to cast something for people to hold on to support him as the Dolphins are winning and off to a good start and that is all that is going on.  The dissonance in his messaging would be comical if the real consequences of his BS weren’t so impactful to a player’s long term health.  A back injury?  That makes it better somehow?  This is a joke and that some will stand behind or say it raises legitimate questions about what happened is just taking the bait.  Don’t take the bait. It’s embarrassing for the league but it’s not exactly surprising

• Agree 2

6 hours ago, LOVEMESOMEBILLS said:

I agree. I was dumbfounded when I saw him re-enter the game. He was clearly punch drunk when he got up from the hit. Before that when he sat up he placed both hands on his helmet, a telltale sign that he got his bell rung. Also when he rose to his feet he gave 2 real quick shakes of his head, yet another sign he was trying to clear the cob webs. How the spotter missed all these indicators is beyond me..

I would guess they didn’t miss it, they ignored it. 

• Agree 1

7 hours ago, LOVEMESOMEBILLS said:

I’m still pretty surprised they let him leave the hospital and fly home with the team after the Bengals game.  Was no one there pumping the breaks? 

I'm actually surprised they haven't finished the investigation and announced a rule change yet with the game coming up tonight. 

Could still happen but with the past two weeks of what has happened I would have thought they would have something in place for tonight's game. 

9 hours ago, LOVEMESOMEBILLS said:

I disagree. Chances are anyone Tua is going to talk to won't know nearly as much about brain trauma and the long term effect on the brain. What does Tua's priorities have anything to do with whether, medically, he should retire or not? From a medical standpoint he either should or shouldn't.

Most likely Omalu was probably asked something along the lines of "If Tua asked you what he should do what would you tell him"? Of course he's going to say he should retire, he's seen the end results and the destructive path it leaves over and over.

medically there is a wide range of gray in that spectrum, not a binary. the impact on his mental health effects future medical health, his financial health effects future medical health. his own risk aversion is a consideration as the outcome of playing isn’t set in stone or known by anyone. 

Unless of course we are saying medically every single player should retire as football is incredibly unhealthy. 

1 hour ago, The Wiz said:

I'm actually surprised they haven't finished the investigation and announced a rule change yet with the game coming up tonight. 

Could still happen but with the past two weeks of what has happened I would have thought they would have something in place for tonight's game. 

They already changed the rule.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.