NFLPA initiating investigation into Tua’s concussion protocol

YoloinOhio

8 minutes ago, DrDare said:

You don't know that as we don't have enough information in that tweet.

It could just as easily be that he answered every question honestly but in a hostile fashion.

I agree we don't have much information, but hostility to the investigation usually means he's not fully cooperating or making it unnecessarily difficult for the investigators.  

11 minutes ago, Captain Caveman said:

The Team Doctor may still face some reprimand, but the UNC's whole role there is to be independent and protect the player from himself, and they obviously failed.  That, and the NFLPA doesn't have any authority to fire the team Dr., they can only do that to the UNC.

Agree on all of that.   My point still stands that both had to clear him. 

Both did. But the UNC gets the brunt of it and no one is asking "why did the Dolphins doc clear him" or "if the UNC made mistakes, why is the Dolphins medical professional not being held to the same standards when both agreed he was fine?"

• Like (+1) 2

1 minute ago, The Wiz said:

no one is asking "why did the Dolphins doc clear him" or "if the UNC made mistakes, why is the Dolphins medical professional not being held to the same standards when both agreed he was fine?"

I don't think no one is asking this, there is an ongoing investigation.  There is a difference in their responsibilities though, with the UNC's only role there to be to protect the player from himself and the team.

28 minutes ago, The Wiz said:

This is what everyone knows and no one is saying.  Both the UNC and team doctor cleared Tua from concussion (per Peter King on WGR today) but for some reason the UNC is getting kicked in the teeth over it and have not heard a single talking head ask "why is the team doctor off the hook when the investigation showed that the UNC made mistakes?"

NFL pushing blame away from the team and themselves.

Because the NFLPA can not do anything to the team doctor - only the Dolphins can reprimand him.  

On the other hand - the NFLPA has the right to fire the UNC - although the NFLPA could not provide examples of mistakes and stated he was confrontational as the reason he was fired.

Sounds to me like they just scapegoated him.

1 hour ago, Captain Caveman said:

I don't think no one is asking this, there is an ongoing investigation.  There is a difference in their responsibilities though, with the UNC's only role there to be to protect the player from himself and the team.

I get they are doing an investigation.  The problem is it's the NFLPA doing it.  Not the NFL.  The other point was why isn't every talking head asking the question I did.  It's pretty reasonable of a question even if they are suppose to side with the NFL.

1 hour ago, Rochesterfan said:

Because the NFLPA can not do anything to the team doctor - only the Dolphins can reprimand him.  

On the other hand - the NFLPA has the right to fire the UNC - although the NFLPA could not provide examples of mistakes and stated he was confrontational as the reason he was fired.

Sounds to me like they just scapegoated him.

and I get the NFLPA cant do anything to the team.  But the NFL needs to ask the question "why did you clear him" while the the NFLPA found the UNC has been making mistakes.  If the NFLPA is claiming "several mistakes" in this one instance then there is no reason that the team doctor should have agreed with him and should also be investigated by the NFL.

• Agree 1

Just coming back to check on the “there couldn’t possibly be any wrong doing because it’s specifically someone’s job to prevent this” crowd. Faith in the system overriding common sense is something of a theme since 2020 in general, it’s weird to see it penetrate sports so visibly. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Disagree 1
  • Agree 1

Aj hawk was talking about how guys will dumb down their baseline test before the season starts to make it easier to play. He said he knew a guy who played hero on his baseline and after 3 weeks of no symptoms he couldn’t pass his baseline. They had to send him to an outside doc or something to clear him.  I’d imagine the league changes these baseline tests so guys don’t fudge them. 

9 minutes ago, aristocrat said:

Aj hawk was talking about how guys will dumb down their baseline test before the season starts to make it easier to play. He said he knew a guy who played hero on his baseline and after 3 weeks of no symptoms he couldn’t pass his baseline. They had to send him to an outside doc or something to clear him.  I’d imagine the league changes these baseline tests so guys don’t fudge them. 

i can't figure out who that was - had to have been with the panthers.

at first i thought he was talking about keuchly.

• Sad 1

13 hours ago, Captain Caveman said:

The Team Doctor may still face some reprimand, but the UNC's whole role there is to be independent and protect the player from himself, and they obviously failed.  That, and the NFLPA doesn't have any authority to fire the team Dr., they can only do that to the UNC.

Iirc, the independent UNC does not make the decision whether a player can return to the game. That’s up to the team trainers. So, I don’t know exactly how he failed. 

13 minutes ago, Boyst62 said:

i can't figure out who that was - had to have been with the panthers.

at first i thought he was talking about keuchly.

Well I’m assuming it was someone on the packers or bengals where he finished. Didn’t he say it was a teammate? 

3 minutes ago, aristocrat said:

Well I’m assuming it was someone on the packers or bengals where he finished. Didn’t he say it was a teammate? 

yeah - but he started in carolina with keuchly. there was also Shaq someone - an LB there - who was out for some time with concussions.

Just now, Boyst62 said:

yeah - but he started in carolina with keuchly. there was also Shaq someone - an LB there - who was out for some time with concussions.

Aj hawk was drafted by the packers. Played like one year with the bengals. Are you thinking of aj Klein?

• Like (+1) 1

25 minutes ago, Saint Doug said:

Iirc, the independent UNC does not make the decision whether a player can return to the game. That’s up to the team trainers. So, I don’t know exactly how he failed. 

The team doctor makes the final determination, but they are not likely to go against the UNC.  In this case, the UNC should have held him out, the team doctor would be putting their own career in jeopardy going against them.

13 hours ago, The Wiz said:

Agree on all of that.   My point still stands that both had to clear him. 

Both did. But the UNC gets the brunt of it and no one is asking "why did the Dolphins doc clear him" or "if the UNC made mistakes, why is the Dolphins medical professional not being held to the same standards when both agreed he was fine?"

Follow the "Fate Control" and the money.  The UNC contracts state that either the NFL or the NFLPA can fire a UNC without agreement from the other party.

So the UNC is a "sitting duck" for action.

Regardless of the questions being asked (and I'm sure they're being asked) the Dolphins team controls the Dolphins team doctor and head trainer and only the Dolphins can fire him.

19 minutes ago, Boyst62 said:

?

Wrong AJ

You thinking of AJ Klein, "Coach Klein".

Hawk was a first round pick of the Packers and played with them 9 years -  a 9 year stretch when they consistently had one of the top Ds in the country

Edited by Beck Water
  • Like (+1) 1

49 minutes ago, aristocrat said:

LOL I think that was John Urschel, Ravens OLman turned MIT mathematics grad student.

He commented in an article about him how he "must have been having a good day" when he took his baseline test because he got a concussion in preseason and it took him 3 weeks to pass it and come back.

I think some guys do dumb down the baseline, but that's foolish of them IMHO.  I think that's what Morse meant when he said he wasn't concerned about concussion because he was doing things "the right way". 

On the other hand, you don't want the baseline test to reflect your very best self you would struggle to match just on an ordinary day where you were a bit tired or stressed out.

• Thank you (+1) 1

15 hours ago, mannc said:

I agree we don't have much information, but hostility to the investigation usually means he's not fully cooperating or making it unnecessarily difficult for the investigators.  

Or it could mean the investigators were asking transparently pointed questions designed to lay blame, justly or unjustly, at the feet of the UNC and as a result the answers they received contained an element of hostility.

• Like (+1) 1

Dolphins QB Tua Tagovailoa is being encouraged to immediately retire.

On a side note, he's from my neighborhood here in Hawaii, (Ewa Beach), so I tend to track him - in case the skeptics think I'm a Dolphins fan in disguise. 

Details in the following link.

https://www.foxnews.com/sports/tua-tagovailoa-retire-nfl-concussion-doctor-says

• Thank you (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.