NFLPA initiating investigation into Tua’s concussion protocol

YoloinOhio

38 minutes ago, Warcodered said:

I don't know why he'd be happy about being investigated.

I think it’s kinda like OJ finding the real killers. Lies ya gotta tell…….

Edited by Augie

On 10/1/2022 at 7:50 PM, syhuang said:

OK, so the sequence went something like:

Trainer: "Tua, you showed gross motor instability so you're gonna get evaluated for concussion"

[Concussion evaluation - Tua passes]

UNC: "OK, but you should be ruled out anyway, because gross motor instability..."

Team Doctor: "Nope, his gross motor instability was due to an earlier back injury being aggravated"

UNC: "My job here is done! Go forth and play football!"

??

See, I thought the player had to actually complete baseline testing that takes significant time and involves multiple questions, and that the INC had to watch the game film himself.

Edited by Beck Water

21 hours ago, Augie said:

I’m sure he had every opportunity to bail out, but he wanted back in. Sometimes people need to be protected from themselves.

Especially, athletes on team sports are trained since they start playing to get back in the game

There's two parts to this

One is, "take one for the team", help your team, don't let your brothers down

The other is, "next man up", but if the next man up outplays you, no guarantees your job will be waiting when you return

Damn straight, they need to be protected from themselves.

On 10/1/2022 at 2:39 PM, Draconator said:

Hostility during the investigation process?!?!

I am shocked, SHOCKED to think that a neurosurgeon might display hostility towards having his professional judgement questioned.

There's a joke:

"How does a neurosurgeon change a lightbulb?"

"He holds it up, and the world revolves around him"

• Like (+1) 2

20 hours ago, 4merper4mer said:

Anyone see the Dahmer series on Netflix?  If so,  this dude remind you at all of the “star” of that particular series?

That actor is a damn good actor when it comes to creepy shows. I don’t even know who it is but when he’s in it, I know it will be well played. 

4 minutes ago, Beck Water said:

I am shocked, SHOCKED to think that a neurosurgeon might display hostility towards having his professional judgement questioned.

There's a joke:

"How does a neurosurgeon change a lightbulb?"

"He holds it up, and the world revolves around him"

I think anyone in any profession would take umbrage to questioning their profession. 

1 minute ago, HamSandwhich said:

I think anyone in any profession would take umbrage to questioning their profession. 

That's not what they're talking about.  Hostility to the investigation means he's not fully cooperating; it doesn't mean he's demonstrating hurt feelings.

7 minutes ago, HamSandwhich said:

*shrug* for many of us, being questioned not only by our own line but by QC, QA, gov agencies, and customers, is a regular part of the job - so much so that we have trainings in how to properly cooperate with investigations.

It's not a Good Thing IMO if physicians start feeling their judgement and actions should be beyond question, IF that's part of what went on and is being described as "hostility" here.

Edited by Beck Water

3 minutes ago, mannc said:

That's not what they're talking about.  Hostility to the investigation means he's not fully cooperating; it doesn't mean he's demonstrating hurt feelings.

Tomatoes/tomatas, two sides to the same coin etc. what’s the difference? I’m sure he didn’t want to cooperate and made it difficult because he did not like they were questioning his professionalism, no? 

29 minutes ago, Beck Water said:

OK, so the sequence went something like:

Trainer: "Tua, you showed gross motor instability so you're gonna get evaluated for concussion"

[Concussion evaluation - Tua passes]

UNC: "OK, but you should be ruled out anyway, because gross motor instability..."

Team Doctor: "Nope, his gross motor instability was due to an earlier back injury being aggravated"

UNC: "My job here is done! Go forth and play football!"

??

See, I thought the player had to actually complete baseline testing that takes significant time and involves multiple questions, and that the INC had to watch the game film himself.

This is what everyone knows and no one is saying.  Both the UNC and team doctor cleared Tua from concussion (per Peter King on WGR today) but for some reason the UNC is getting kicked in the teeth over it and have not heard a single talking head ask "why is the team doctor off the hook when the investigation showed that the UNC made mistakes?"

NFL pushing blame away from the team and themselves.

Edited by The Wiz

5 minutes ago, mannc said:

You don't know that as we don't have enough information in that tweet.

It could just as easily be that he answered every question honestly but in a hostile fashion.

1 minute ago, Beck Water said:

*shrug* for many of us, being questioned not only by our own line but by QC, QA, gov agencies, and customers, is a regular part of the job - so much so that we have trainings in how to properly cooperate with investigations.

It's not a Good Thing IMO if physicians start feeling they should be beyond question, IF that's part of what went on here.

Believe me, I know what you’re talking about being the HR manager over 2 hospitals. However, when they come and do their oversight, they never let out why they are doing it or who is at center of the investigation. They snoop around and we have to figure it out. I’m sure the neurologist knew exactly why they were questioning him 

3 minutes ago, Beck Water said:

It's not a Good Thing IMO if physicians start feeling their judgement and actions should be beyond question, IF that's part of what went on and is being described as "hostility" here.

Also, I do agree it’s not always a good thing for people to be high and mighty about their judgement. 

4 minutes ago, The Wiz said:

This is what everyone knows and no one is saying.  Both the UNC and team doctor cleared Tua from concussion (per Peter King on WGR today) but for some reason the UNC is getting kicked in the teeth over it and have not heard a single talking head ask "why is the team doctor off the hook when the investigation showed that the UNC made mistakes?"

NFL pushing blame away from the team and themselves.

The Team Doctor may still face some reprimand, but the UNC's whole role there is to be independent and protect the player from himself, and they obviously failed.  That, and the NFLPA doesn't have any authority to fire the team Dr., they can only do that to the UNC.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.