NFLPA initiating investigation into Tua’s concussion protocol

YoloinOhio

12 minutes ago, Scott7975 said:

This absolutely needs to happen.  Just please dont leave the call with the referee.  I can already see QBs being taken out of a game because they tripped on a billdo or something and it was misconscrued.  It needs to happen but DONT LEAVE GREY AREAS NFL!!

Except for the loop hole that allows them to call it a back injury and put the player back on the field.  

They do use it during the sideline tent evaluation.  In fact its mandatory.  Somehow that doesnt apply if they get taken straight to the locker room though.

A back injury that causes neurological symptoms like being unable to stand up is just as serious as a concussion if not more so. 

they have no defense.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 8

The updated protocols will essentially close the loophole that allowed Tagovailoa to return to the field against the Bills, eliminating any subjectivity about the cause of a player's instability and simply ruling the player out. The league said Wednesday it believes the protocols were followed; under the updated protocols, doctors will not be in position to make a judgment on why a player was unstable.

40 minutes ago, Scott7975 said:

This absolutely needs to happen.  Just please dont leave the call with the referee.  I can already see QBs being taken out of a game because they tripped on a billdo or something and it was misconscrued.  It needs to happen but DONT LEAVE GREY AREAS NFL!!

I for one am OK with opposing QB's being taken out of a game for tripping over a Billdo

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 3

19 minutes ago, SlimShady'sSpaceForce said:

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/34697326/the-details-dolphins-tua-tagovailoa-injury-next

What we know about the injury to Dolphins QB Tua Tagovailoa, and what's next

Sills said Friday that Tagovailoa was checked for concussion symptoms every day this week, including Thursday.

Again... if they were confident in their diagnosis on the field then why would they check him every day for concussion symptoms?  If they weren't confident in the diagnosis to the point that they felt they should check him every day including game day morning then Tua never should have been put back on that field.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

13 minutes ago, Scott7975 said:

Again... if they were confident in their diagnosis on the field then why would they check him every day for concussion symptoms?  If they weren't confident in the diagnosis to the point that they felt they should check him every day including game day morning then Tua never should have been put back on that field.

Way to short to put Tua back on field. Should be a week guaranteed out and with testing after that.

NFL need to fix it rules as well to make "Sure" thing's go well with the player with lots of testing.  Dolphins did horrible in all this. Lots around awful in all of this.

Edited by Buffalo Bills Fan
  • Like (+1) 1

17 minutes ago, Buffalo Bills Fan said:

Way to short to put Tua back on field. Should be a week guaranteed out and with testing after that.

NFL need to fix it rules as well to make "Sure" thing's go well with the player with lots of testing.  Dolphins did horrible in all this. Lots around awful in all of this.

NFL and NFLPA just closed this loophole 

• Like (+1) 2

On 10/1/2022 at 9:18 PM, Scott7975 said:

I am not exactly sure what they are required to do.

For example on NFL radio today - they were talking about Cameron Brate’s concussion last night.  He got hit and they tested him - he was cleared of the protocol and went back in to play.  The guys stated that the UNC and the team doctor are required to perform the testing again every couple of series because some times the delayed effects.  

Brate on retesting was deemed to have a concussion and was pulled out at that point.

So even though Tua cleared it is possible that the expectations are that he would get tested in case of delayed effects.

I had never heard of the multiple testing, but the UNC the NFL guys were talking with said it is standard and done - just rarely talked about.

11 minutes ago, Rochesterfan said:

I am not exactly sure what they are required to do.

For example on NFL radio today - they were talking about Cameron Brate’s concussion last night.  He got hit and they tested him - he was cleared of the protocol and went back in to play.  The guys stated that the UNC and the team doctor are required to perform the testing again every couple of series because some times the delayed effects.  

Brate on retesting was deemed to have a concussion and was pulled out at that point.

So even though Tua cleared it is possible that the expectations are that he would get tested in case of delayed effects.

I had never heard of the multiple testing, but the UNC the NFL guys were talking with said it is standard and done - just rarely talked about.

Its possible because I am unsure either.  Just seems a little strange to me.  This is the first time I have ever heard of a player getting continual testing after being ruled not a concussion.  Not saying it hasnt happened... just saying I have never heard of it.

3 minutes ago, Scott7975 said:

Its possible because I am unsure either.  Just seems a little strange to me.  This is the first time I have ever heard of a player getting continual testing after being ruled not a concussion.  Not saying it hasnt happened... just saying I have never heard of it.

I had not either, but Brate was pulled several series later and the doctor stated it happens in the background and almost never changes, but interesting that right after Tua - something similar happens to Brate.

Edited by Rochesterfan
  • Like (+1) 1

On 10/1/2022 at 9:23 PM, Buffalo Bills Fan said:

It’s like the Browns of the South. 

• Like (+1) 1

On 10/1/2022 at 11:10 PM, WyoAZBillfan said:

Seems like dolphins coach learned well from Shanahan and how he handled injuries, I mean it worked well for RG3 after his mishap. Tua, while I’m sure wants to win, should’ve had some say. Maybe he did🤷🏼‍♂️

I’m sure he had every opportunity to bail out, but he wanted back in. Sometimes people need to be protected from themselves. 

I fear this will not be the last time he is concussed. Just like at Alabama, he’s not as athletic as he thinks he is. He is easily caught and tossed like a rag doll. That is NOT good when NFL players are doing the tossing. 

• Agree 4

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.