NFLPA initiating investigation into Tua’s concussion protocol

YoloinOhio

2 minutes ago, BuffaloRebound said:

Yes, but the NFLPA can’t fire the team doctors.  They can only fire the UNC, which  they just did.  

Miami organization still seems to not find any problem in anything that happened.  

Yeah, we’ll just have to wait and see if the masses accept this sacrificial lamb. That will determine what happens next. 

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Wayne Cubed said:

Honestly, this isn't that hard as you keep quoting the NFL website, it's literally right there in it.

Are you really trying to be a dick about it?  Was I a dick with you?  You asked a question.  I posted information that I believe answers that question.  Whats with the passive aggressive attitude?

If they took him straight to the locker room for a no go situation then they failed their job because its a no go situation and they let him go back on the field.

Edited by Scott7975

Lots of emotions over this and a lot of info.

To add to the info, I just read this NFL/NFLPA pdf on player safety and protocols.

https://nflcommunications.com/Documents/2020 Kickoff Guide/2 - Player Health and Safety.pdf

Page 14 has the Concussion checklist.

I read it that, if there is any sign of "fencing", the player cannot return to play.

Explains all the spotters, UNCs and other protocols and responsibilities.

I found it interesting.

I apologize if this has been already posted and I missed it.

1 minute ago, Scott7975 said:

Are you really trying to be a dick about it?  Was I a dick with you?  You asked a question.  I posted information that I believe answers that question.  Whats with the passive aggressive attitude?

If they took him straight to the locker room for a no go situation then they failed their job because its a no go situation and they let him go back on the field.

No I'm not being a dick but you are posting from the NFL website and it's all right there.

And to your second question, if you see the * by the Gross Motor Instability, that explains how they can go back in after appearing to have a "No Go" situation.

*Determined by team physician, in consultation with the UNC, to be neurologically caused.

They have to prove it was caused neurologically instead of looking at the video and just assuming it is. If they can't prove it, aka he passes the concussion tests AND they prove he has an orthopedic issue, he can return to play. It also says on the checklist you posted about going to the locker room for a No Go:

If normal assessment, player may RETURN TO PLAY.

That's the loophole and where the whole thing has fallen down. Tua may have been able to clear the cob webs and pass the concusion test. They may have then determined he did in fact have a back injury. So therefore he can return to play. I have no idea if they review the video in the locker room, or seek a second opinion. Nothing in the protocol seems to suggest they do.

• Disagree 3

6 minutes ago, Sharky7337 said:

NFL chief medical officer Allen Sills said Tagovailoa was evaluated for a concussion every day between the games on Sunday and Thursday. The league's concussion protocol states that the same UNC who performs a player's initial test "ideally" should perform the follow-up evaluations, but a member of the team's medical staff may do so if necessary.

It was not immediately known whether the now-terminated doctor performed Tagovailoa's follow-up evaluations.

Wouldn't that kind of be a conflict of interest, if they find he has a concussion later on wouldn't they be highlighting their own ***** up?

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Warcodered said:

Wouldn't that kind of be a conflict of interest, if they find he has a concussion later on wouldn't they be highlighting their own ***** up?

The member of the team's medical staff would have had to clear him on sunday as well as the UNC and I would assume that the UNC would only be required for Tua to clear concussion protocol (which they never put him in).

Edited by The Wiz

22 minutes ago, Draconator said:

Hostility during the investigation process?!?!

I presume against those from the NFLPA who were asking him questions about it?

Although this is the right move, anyone watching Tua could see he was concussed. It should not have needed a independent consultant to say he's concussed before pulling him from the field.

I hope that win is worth it for the Dolphins. The '3' against their name is clearly more valuable than Tua's health.

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, syhuang said:

Clearly this guy was going down, but interesting note about "failure to understand his role as UNC"

Could that leave the door open to there being some discrepancy over the power the UNC has in making the call? Was there some type of disagreement between the UNC and team docs? That's where things will get interesting if the details ever actually come out. 

2 hours ago, co_springs_billsfan said:

I'm sure it was just your normal everyday destruction of cell phone type of situation. 

That's not the way I read it, but who really knows.

If he just destroyed his phone, I'd call it "interference," not hostility.

Sounds like he was an ass but we need to know more.

1 hour ago, Cray51 said:

Team messed up, doctor messed up, Tua messed up.  Just a crap showing all around.

The league needs to do better.  

If fairly high up people within the Miami organization don't pay for this with their jobs, the firing of this doctor will accomplish absolutely nothing.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.