NFLPA initiating investigation into Tua’s concussion protocol

YoloinOhio

2 minutes ago, buffaloboyinATL said:

Hahaha! The Dolphins found a scapegoat for their obvious disregard for player safety.  Somebody keep an eye on this guys bank account.  

Maybe, but like I just posted above, what will these UNCs do going forward?  If the NFL doesn't do anything with Miami this could

backfire on them big time.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, ColoradoBills said:

Maybe, but like I just posted above, what will these UNCs do going forward?  If the NFL doesn't do anything with Miami this could

backfire on them big time.

That is a great point. I missed your previous comment, but you are right, now they will error on the side of caution and pull more players out of games.  

I find it really odd that there is no mention of the Miami team doctors, who also had to clear him to let him back on the field.

8 minutes ago, The Wiz said:

At the very least the Miami doctor should be fired as well if the UNC made "several mistakes" then you know the Miami doctor likely went along with it.  That's clearly negligence (malpractice) on the doctors part.  Be interesting to see how far it goes up.

The team medical staff and coach let him out there too. They can play it off as them just going on the one guys opinion but I don't think they're just supposed to not go through their own process because of them.

• Like (+1) 4
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, buffaloboyinATL said:

That is a great point. I missed your previous comment, but you are right, now they will error on the side of caution and pull more players out of games.  

I find it really odd that there is no mention of the Miami team doctors, who also had to clear him to let him back on the field.

Haven't verified this but I thought they (Miami docs) had the final word

53 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

👀

I posted earlier in the thread about this loophole and determining it was orthopedic and not neurologic . I'm sure this is where mistakes were made. From the video @Warcodered posted its quite possible Tua got back to the locker room and had cleared his head enough to pass the tests and he did actually have a back injury. They should have reviewed the video and determined there was no way a back injury makes someone stumble like that.

Edited by Wayne Cubed
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

I'm sure it's not over yet.  This could become bigger than some of us think.

NFLPA likely can’t do anything about Miami team doctors now, I guess we’ll have to wait till the final report of the investigation come out.

It’s reported both Miami team doctors and the UNC were interviewed on Friday.

It's a long season, but the Dolphins leadership definitely took the short view of what to do when facing off against our Bills.

There is no way that all-clear decision was made by one outside guy.

This has the kind of stink that now is going to overshadow their whole season where if they handled it correctly, could have better set them up for the long haul.

download.png

Edited by WideNine

7 minutes ago, co_springs_billsfan said:

Haven't verified this but I thought they (Miami docs) had the final word

They do when its gameday.  They dont when a player is actually in protocol. So yes, the teams heady physician had the final say with input from the consultant.

• Thank you (+1) 1

I said this earlier in the thread, but if Tua did in fact have two concussions in a matter of 4 days because of negligence, the NFL was THIS close to Congressional hearings, lawsuits, loss of public confidence, the works. Tua could have had TBI, permanent loss of certain cognitive abilities, or even death. The new protocol is supposed to make 100% sure none of that is even possible.

This story isn't over. It's impossible to believe that this independent consultant acted entirely on his own and happened to just make a poor decision in the moment. Just seeing the video of Tua's behavior on the field should have been enough proof. There's a big stink coming out of the Dolphins locker room.

• Like (+1) 4
  • Agree 3

11 minutes ago, Warcodered said:

The team medical staff and coach let him out there too. They can play it off as them just going on the one guys opinion but I don't think they're just supposed to not go through their own process because of them.

Serious question, and maybe it’s been answered before, but: Did the team Doc or the independent Doc even SEE him stumbling?

If they missed seeing it and/or were hiding in the shade and AC somewhere, the system failed, but at least then I can understand it. If they SAW him staggering and still cleared him, their license should be in jeopardy. I’m no doctor, but that was no back injury. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

I said this earlier in the thread, but if Tua did in fact have two concussions in a matter of 4 days because of negligence, the NFL was THIS close to Congressional hearings, lawsuits, loss of public confidence, the works. Tua could have had TBI, permanent loss of certain cognitive abilities, or even death. The new protocol is supposed to make 100% sure none of that is even possible.

This story isn't over. It's impossible to believe that this independent consultant acted entirely on his own and happened to just make a poor decision in the moment. Just seeing the video of Tua's behavior on the field should have been enough proof. There's a big stink coming out of the Dolphins locker room.

I swear I read earlier in the week that they didnt even review the film of the injury in Buffalo when make the call.  That is probably one mistake and a big one.

Just now, Augie said:

Serious question, and maybe it’s been answered before, but: Did the team Doc or the independent Doc even SEE him stumbling?

If they missed seeing it and/or were hiding in the shade and AC somewhere, the system failed, but at least then I can understand it. If they SAW him staggering and still cleared him, their license should be in jeopardy. I’m no doctor, but that was no back injury. 

The independent spotter would have seen him stumble and would have relayed it. Now, whether they rewatched the video, I'm not sure. I'm not sure it's part of the protocol.

1 minute ago, Scott7975 said:

I swear I read earlier in the week that they didnt even review the film of the injury in Buffalo when make the call.  That is probably one mistake and a big one.

I'm not sure that's part of the protocol, in determining it was ortopedic or neurologic. It could be the case he got back to the locker room, was able to pass the concusion testing and did in fact have a back injury as well. It may be that the Doctors, per the protocol, aren't asked to look at the film of the stumble?

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.