NFLPA initiating investigation into Tua’s concussion protocol

YoloinOhio

57 minutes ago, SlimShady'sSpaceForce said:

Lip service?

He lies to the interviewer and our face in this video by saying the independent and team physician have to both clear him and he said it multiple times to reinforce it.  From NFL's own website:

For the avoidance of doubt, the responsibility for the diagnosis of concussion and the decision to return a player to a game remain exclusively within the professional judgment of the Head Team Physician or the Club physician designated as responsible for the diagnosis and management of concussion.

http://NFL Concussion Diagnosis and Management Protocol https://www.nfl.com/playerhealthandsafety/resources/fact-sheets/nfl-head-neck-and-spine-committee-s-concussion-diagnosis-and-management-protocol

https://www.nfl.com/playerhealthandsafety/health-and-wellness/player-care/concussion-protocol-return-to-participation-protocol

Edited by Scott7975
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Angry 1

2 minutes ago, DrDare said:

I think it was malicious. Coach needed to win the game against the Bills. It was more important than Tua's future.

We can debate the semantics of malicious v. negligence.  But I do think he was just more than ok to just let bureaucracy and protocol override common sense and reason.  Which means he took all humanity out of his decision making.  I don't think that reflects well on him as a HC.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 2

On 9/25/2022 at 6:08 PM, Rc2catch said:

The dolphins can’t even clear him. 
Its the independent doctor on the hook here right??? Or did he never actually enter the concussion protocol?? 

On 9/28/2022 at 7:25 AM, DrDare said:

Did you know that the Dolphins have their own doctors too and they do stuff and are allowed to use their brains.

On 9/28/2022 at 9:22 AM, Rc2catch said:

Get outta town, really?? 
What about the independent neurologists at games whose only job is to watch for players possibly concussed? Team doctors can’t overrule the independent neurologist when it comes to the concussion protocol. So once again how would Miami be on the hook for Tua not entering the concussion protocol or being cleared if he did enter? 

8 minutes ago, Scott7975 said:

He lies to the interviewer and our face in this video by saying the independent and team physician have to both clear him and he said it multiple times to reinforce it.  From NFL's own website:

For the avoidance of doubt, the responsibility for the diagnosis of concussion and the decision to return a player to a game remain exclusively within the professional judgment of the Head Team Physician or the Club physician designated as responsible for the diagnosis and management of concussion.

http://NFL Concussion Diagnosis and Management Protocol https://www.nfl.com/playerhealthandsafety/resources/fact-sheets/nfl-head-neck-and-spine-committee-s-concussion-diagnosis-and-management-protocol

https://www.nfl.com/playerhealthandsafety/health-and-wellness/player-care/concussion-protocol-return-to-participation-protocol

I got yelled at multiple pages back for saying the team doctors were absolutely involved and never got a thumbsup

turns out I'm even more right than even I thought

• Like (+1) 3

2 minutes ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

Should there be automatic ejections and suspensions for penalized hits that force players into concussion protocol?

yes IMO.  Any cheap shot with intent to maim should have punishment of many games without pay

7 minutes ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

Should there be automatic ejections and suspensions for penalized hits that force players into concussion protocol?

Hmmm good question.  I think thats a grey area because I think the penalties arent even called right half the time.  There are a lot of head shots never called for instance. Some of them are even fined after not being called on the field.  Others seem to me a weak call.  For instance I thought the Milano call was weak.  Im sure its a penalty by definition but I see that also go uncalled all the time.  I believe that shove caused a concussion and I was ok with the flag but it seems pretty weak to throw someone out of a game and or suspend them for.

Also, looking at the play that actually put Tua on a stretcher and in concussion protocol, there wasnt anything dirty about it.  Not a penalty.  Yet it caused a concussion. Does that guy now get a suspension for it?  I dunno.  A little grey.

Edited by Scott7975

4 minutes ago, Pete said:

yes IMO.  Any cheap shot with intent to maim should have punishment of many games without pay

Even if intent isn’t isn’t there. Like take this hit  on Tee Higgins. Penalty was thrown, but should be automatic ejection and 1 game suspension.

Edited by Buffalo_Stampede
  • Angry 1

4 minutes ago, Scott7975 said:

Hmmm good question.  I think thats a grey area because I think the penalties arent even called right half the time.  There are a lot of head shots never called for instance. Some of them are even fined after not being called on the field.  Others seem to me a weak call.  For instance I thought the Milano call was weak.  Im sure its a penalty by definition but I see that also go uncalled all the time.  I believe that shove caused a concussion and I was ok with the flag but it seems pretty weak to throw someone out of a game and or suspend them for.

Also, looking at the play that actually put Tua on a stretcher and in concussion protocol, there wasnt anything dirty about it.  Not a penalty.  Yet it caused a concussion. Does that guy now get a suspension for it?  I dunno.  A little grey.

Milano’s hit was unnecessary. But obviously players would be able to appeal a suspension.

The Tua hit I don’t think should’ve been a penalty, and it wasn’t. Some head injuries aren’t the result of a penalty. If a hit that causes a concussion isn’t a penalty it can also be reviewed and the player suspended.

7 minutes ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

Even if intent isn’t isn’t there. Like take this hit  on Tee Higgins. Penalty was thrown, but should be automatic ejection and 1 game suspension.

So dirty!  Wicked cheap shot.  That type of play- suspend 8 games without pay imo

7 hours ago, Rochesterfan said:

That may or may not be true - what we know is the NFL has put in place a consistent and verifiable protocol to follow and took it out of the hands of team doctors that may have some stake in the game and brought in - independent teams to review and determine the outcomes.

If the players - find loop holes that allow them to clear the protocol faster - that is not on the NFL for failing the players - that is on the players and the NLFPA.

The NFL wants consistency and to show they are following the designed and agreed to protocols - that is their goal.  The issue is a concussion is a very individual injury and the best/quick way to identify it is the cognitive tests.  If as has been stated - Tua passed those cognitive tests - what grounds are there set up for someone to say - “No, you can’t play” - you may have had a concussion, but all testing shows you are fine.

I would have been fine if the “wobbly legs” he displayed was enough to automatically put them in the full protocol, but that is not the agreed to rule and unless either Tua or the independent doctor comes forward and says something was not done according to protocol or Tua says I didn’t feel comfortable- the NFLPA has nothing to stand on.

So far all we have heard is that Tua was evaluated (no timing on how quickly after the initial hit) and that he passed the cognitive tests that cleared him from the protocol and at that time the team decided it was less a head injury and more of a back issue (probably BS, but we are not there and the only thing he needed to do to return was pass his cognitive test).

The worst part - is a good coach and training staff - never lets him back out against Buffalo - just to protect the player from himself and then re-evaluates throughout the week and most likely gives him another week to recover, but the Dolphins and Tua did themselves a disservice because he wanted to play and they want to win.

All that we know is that they say they have a protocol, but whether or not the protocol is followed as intended or easily maneuvered around by teams and/or players is a whole different story.  And lets say everything was as intended and it's a legitimate protocol, which I don't believe, but let's make believe and buy that for a second.  Common sense has to be employed here bc it doesn't take a medical degree to see a person hit their head in the way Tua did on Sunday followed by a reaction to know that' it was a bad injury, and likely a brain injury.  We all know that is nothing to gamble with due to the potential severity in light of all of the recent studies.  Whatever those protocol tests were, assuming everything was done legitimately, didn't take the obvious chain of events that lead to the tests enough weight.  It's like seeing someone break their leg and having a doctor check the top and bottom of the bone for fractures while ignoring that middle where the players leg was moving in unnatural ways.  Everyone can see it is broken but the doctor says  "You passed the broken leg protocol".

The league wants to report less concussions like they are making positive strides, and you can see how that might lead to a situation where the league persuades "independent" doctors (paid by the NFL) to use a more conservative approach in declaring concussions.  The teams and players aren't always going to make the best choices if the discretion is left to them to utilize good judgment (the NFL of the past).  Now its even harder when a medical professional green lights it and the team and player have to use the same discretion in light of that questionable call.  

It's stupid by all involved because it looks like what it is - a sports league that isn't really doing enough to prevent brain injuries despite trying to say it is. 

2 minutes ago, Solomon Grundy said:

Milano's push wasn't malicious IMO. He shouldn't have been ejected. 

I agree.  But the shot on Tee Higgins was a cheap shot.

Milano hits like a truck, plays hard, plays fair.  I just bought a white Milano jersey- he’s a dawg!

45 minutes ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

If that's the case should Edmunds be suspended for damn near ripping Jackson's head off?

He looked like he was going shoulder first on that hit so he wasn't trying to get a headshot on him. 

Chase was falling down and he lined up his hit wrong.   

These plays happen a lot and are part of the game when these guys are going to speed.   

Think of the concussion allen had back in 2019 against the pats.   No flag and no fine on the hit.  Was just a matter of a split second decision that ended up poorly. 

Edited by The Wiz

12 hours ago, UKBillFan said:

Whilst I appreciate the point what was known about Doyle’s fitness when we put him on the field late on? At what point did he pick up the torn ACL?

IMO a torn ACL happens in a single event, hard to prevent that.

When a player has a concussion and you cover it up to put him back on the field 4 days later, that's irresponsible. 

Who knows if it will ever be proven, but anyone with a brain knows that is what happened. 

8 minutes ago, Southern_Bills said:

IMO a torn ACL happens in a single event, hard to prevent that.

When a player has a concussion and you cover it up to put him back on the field 4 days later, that's irresponsible. 

Who knows if it will ever be proven, but anyone with a brain knows that is what happened. 

It's not preventing the injury, it's what happened afterwards. Big Turk stated that , on WGR, they said he was injured in the game but carried on playing. As atlbillsfan1975 asked, I'm not sure if the Bills were aware or Doyle complained of injury until after the game.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.