NFLPA initiating investigation into Tua’s concussion protocol

YoloinOhio

8 minutes ago, atlbillsfan1975 said:

Doyle was injured in game it appears and pretty sure he didn’t come back into the game after the injury. Your trying to tie the two events seems like a reach. Not to mention a knee injury compared to a brain injury is like comparing apples to oranges. 

I read someone say that we put Doyle out there with an ACL over Brown - I wsn't sure at the time how true that was. Injury is still injury though, yes, concerns around concussion carries extra weight.

38 minutes ago, Scott7975 said:

From the NFL website:

A blind man can see that wasnt orthopedic.

He was able to laugh during a movie?  Ok hes good for next week.

Thanks, it passes me off that they ignored the "or receives a report that..." part of the protocol.  The NFL's chief medical examiner admitted they don't take video evidence into account when making their concussion determination, which is stupid because I can't believe the easily available video of him being loopy wouldn't have been available to count as a "report".

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, Warcodered said:

Maybe I wasn't watching as much sports coverage early in the week (usually always less after a Bills loss) - mostly some GMFB with NFL employees dutifully parrotting the NFL scripted talking points "Turns out he only hurt his back!" (with a straight face) - but where were all these talking heads with their outrage earlier in the week after what happened Sun?

It seems to me the NFL's playbook to respond to this has to be to throw Miami under the bus - a rogue organization behaving irresponsibly in an isolated incident - and I'm fine with that.

Edited by stevewin

2 minutes ago, 1ManRaid said:

Thanks, it passes me off that they ignored the "or receives a report that..." part of the protocol.  The NFL's chief medical examiner admitted they don't take video evidence into account when making their concussion determination, which is stupid because I can't believe the easily available video of him being loopy wouldn't have been available to count as a "report".

With that explanation they have plausible deniability.  Doesn't matter what happened on the field if he passes the test according to NFL concussion protocol.  

That's likely the reason they don't use video evidence as part of the report.

1 hour ago, FrenchConnection said:

They're still not treating this seriously. Here is a quote from a concussion information sheet:

"Limit activities that require a lot of thinking or concentration (including social activities, homework, video games, texting, computer, driving, job-related activities, movies, parties). These activities can slow the brain's recovery."

Yes MacGruber is a movie, but to be fair I'd say it's the opposite of "requiring a lot of thinking"

1 minute ago, The Wiz said:

With that explanation they have plausible deniability.  Doesn't matter what happened on the field if he passes the test according to NFL concussion protocol.  

That's likely the reason they don't use video evidence as part of the report.

So is the whole spotter thing - person who watches for evidence of concussion during the game and calls down if anything is suspected - is that only to get the player looked at, and the on field visual evidence isn't used at all in the asessment?

• Thank you (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, stevewin said:

So is the whole spotter thing - person who watches for evidence of concussion during the game and calls down if anything is suspected - is that only to get the player looked at, and the on field visual evidence isn't used at all in the asessment?

no idea.  I don't remember if the Dr. said where the report comes from.

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/nfl-claims-concussion-protocols-didnt-fail-tua-tagovailoa-on-sunday-thats-hard-to-believe-after-thursdays-scary-head-injury-051800394.html

NFL claims concussion protocols didn’t fail Tua Tagovailoa on Sunday. That’s hard to believe after Thursday’s scary head injury

• Thank you (+1) 1

Definitely learned a lot more about the concussion protocol through all this.  I think learning that the team doctor still has final say allows us to make a few logical conclusions. I don't think there is some grand conspiracy here but I do think this exposes a huge crack in the system.

Some facts that have become clearer:

1. The Independent Neurologist administers the baseline tests. HE DOES NOT DETERMINE IF HE IS CLEARED TO PLAY.

2. The Team doctor has final say and can make a determination that a "no-go" symptom is caused by an orthopedic issue.

In the Bills game, Tua stumbling after the hit would TYPICALLY result in the "no-go" policy that is established. This is the reason that Mahomes was pulled out of that game two years ago.  He had a head collision and was wobbly getting up. He passed the concussion tests but the doctors would not let him go back in because of the "no-go" policy. 

With the Tua situation, if the team doctor had determined that the back injury caused the wobbliness and Tua passed the baseline test, then the protocol allows him to go in the game AND not have to be in concussion protocol(because he passed the test).  **This is where it gets very tricky because the we don't know the team doctor's motives.**  The HC can completely isolate himself from the situation because he just plays who the doctors say can play.

We all know that players can have concussions and pass the baseline test (Andrew Whitworth described a situation with himself last night).  I would assume guys have passed the baseline test and were kept out because of the "no-go" situation (like the Mahomes situation). Ultimately, EVERYONE (Players, Coaches, NFL execs, fans) wants these players on the field.  It would seem players/coaches have a general culture of not being overly concerned about head injuries.

I don't think Miami maliciously tried to circumvent the concussion protocol. I do think the they found a loophole in the process which allowed Tua to return to what was a massive game for the Dolphins.  And I think the HC isolated himself away from the decision making process by simply "trusting" the doctor.

3 minutes ago, BrooklynBills said:

With the Tua situation, if the team doctor had determined that the back injury caused the wobbliness and Tua passed the baseline test, then the protocol allows him to go in the game AND not have to be in concussion protocol(because he passed the test).  **This is where it gets very tricky because the we don't know the team doctor's motives.**  The HC can completely isolate himself from the situation because he just plays who the doctors say can play.

He can isolate himself all he wants from the situation but I have a hard time believing that even if medically cleared most coaches would put a player back in after seeing them barely able to stand or walk without help.  That is just negligence on his part if that's the road he wanted to go by "isolating" himself.

• Agree 6

3 minutes ago, The Wiz said:

He can isolate himself all he wants from the situation but I have a hard time believing that even if medically cleared most coaches would put a player back in after seeing them barely able to stand or walk without help.  That is just negligence on his part if that's the road he wanted to go by "isolating" himself.

I completely agree and think it's a major error from a rookie HC.  I don't think it was malicious but was clear negligence.  Don't take this to mean that I'm absolving McDaniel here.

• Agree 2

1 hour ago, atlbillsfan1975 said:

Doyle was injured in game it appears and pretty sure he didn’t come back into the game after the injury. Your trying to tie the two events seems like a reach. Not to mention a knee injury compared to a brain injury is like comparing apples to oranges. 

On WGR they said that he was injured during the game and continue playing on it and finished the game.

• Thank you (+1) 1

21 minutes ago, SlimShady'sSpaceForce said:

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/nfl-claims-concussion-protocols-didnt-fail-tua-tagovailoa-on-sunday-thats-hard-to-believe-after-thursdays-scary-head-injury-051800394.html

NFL claims concussion protocols didn’t fail Tua Tagovailoa on Sunday. That’s hard to believe after Thursday’s scary head injury

Yeah like the NFL is going to admit anything.  Same NFL that destroyed spygate tapes and covered up concussions for decades.

• Like (+1) 3

2 minutes ago, Scott7975 said:

Yeah like the NFL is going to admit anything.  Same NFL that destroyed spygate tapes and covered up concussions for decades.

Yeah, I mean I could be wrong here.....but I can't recall a single instance seeing any player that got up stumbling after hitting his head on the ground getting cleared from protocol in that short amount of time even if it turned out to not be a concussion.

• Like (+1) 2

17 minutes ago, BrooklynBills said:

I completely agree and think it's a major error from a rookie HC.  I don't think it was malicious but was clear negligence...

I think it was malicious. Coach needed to win the game against the Bills. It was more important than Tua's future.

And then they had to play him the 1/2 week later to cement the "back injury" and not concussion protocol excuse.

Edited by DrDare

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.