NFLPA initiating investigation into Tua’s concussion protocol

YoloinOhio

4 hours ago, BIGFOOTspaceman said:

He's the head coach with medical info available to him for all his players....he's not a Dr. but he does have judgement.  You use your best judgement and err on the side of caution when it comes to the health and safety of others.  He either chose to look the other way to continue the Phins hype train and re-enforce his ego or he just has poor judgement.  

If he did something not on the level with Tua regarding his health, he will lose the respect of the veterans on that team.

As the leader of that team, when McDaniels saw how Tua was behaving last week, he should’ve used his Coach card and pulled him from the game, regardless of what the player/docs were telling him. 

I’ve served and I’m imagining that the team atmosphere is similar to a military unit’s atmosphere in terms of personal closeness and relationships. The brotherhood.

From that perspective, McDaniels is either a coward, too weak to stand up to the organizational/player pressure to allow this to happen, or a cold heartless human, more obsessed with his ambition to care about the well-being and livelihoods of his team. 

Maybe he thinks he’s more like the Rocky 4 Creed v Drago coach not throwing in the towel/ending the match?

Reality, it’s likely (speculation) a combo of the 1st two and a calculated roll of the dice, assuming Tua wouldn’t get hit like that 2 games in a row. Another poster mentioned the long break after this week. Probably another consideration. 

At the end of the day, anyone from their couch could tell Tua hurt his head last week but the phins are insisting that we’re all wrong. That will be the place where the friction builds until this breaks wide open IMO. 

I know it’s the fish/Tua but this just seems so wrong to me. The team needs to look after it’s members. This seems to have violated that. 

Edited by DaggersEOD
Spelling
  • Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

2 minutes ago, BuffaloRebound said:

Good for Harbaugh.  The non-weasel coaches and owners need to speak up and denounce that trash organization.  

He clearly takes it seriously, Lamar had basically the same thing happen to him in that playoff game against us and they kept him out.

• Like (+1) 1

After Tua stumbled in the Bills game he shakes his head and grabs it with both hands. Not once did he reach for his back.

That was a clear “no go” situation. Passing Concussion protocol doesn’t matter at that point. He should’ve been ruled out.

We all have eyes and saw what happened. “No go” is all about the visual symptoms. The only person that could say he fell because of his back is Tua. Tua’s opinion shouldn’t have mattered.

Edited by Buffalo_Stampede
  • Thank you (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

After Tua stumbled in the Bills game he shakes his head and grabs it with both hands. Not once did he reach for his back.

That was a clear “no go” situation. Passing Concussion protocol doesn’t matter at that point. He should’ve been ruled out.

We all have eyes and saw what happened. “No go” is all about the visual symptoms. The only person that could say he fell because of his back is Tua. Tua’s opinion shouldn’t have mattered.

This is why I was so shocked when he went back in. I thought any visible sign of a potential head injury, even if the player isn’t placed in protocol, was an automatic out.

• Like (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

Cover up incoming!

I'm trying to understand how a back injury severe enough to cause him to collapse to the ground doesn't keep him out, and is somehow a nonfactor immediatly following the game. I'm not sure there is a scenario of this that isn't ***** terrible.

• Like (+1) 3

19 minutes ago, Warcodered said:

He clearly takes it seriously, Lamar had basically the same thing happen to him in that playoff game against us and they kept him out.

Glad to see him speak out about what happened so frankly and honestly.  After seeing this, I feel confident in how I feel about the Tua situation.

Even if proper protocol was followed and Tua was somehow cleared to return to the field last Sunday, as the head coach of the team, Mike McDaniel should have stepped in and told Tua he was done for the day.  McDaniel is the main failure here.  He put winning ahead of his quarterback's short and long term health.

• Like (+1) 4
  • Agree 1

My understanding from listening to sports talk radio (assuming they know what they're talking about) is that even if you "pass" the tests, the loss of motor control he displayed on the field is supposed to automatically disqualify you from returning to the game.  I can only assume the doctors worked off a different interpretation of the rule where they only counted his motor control during the actual tests to have plausible deniability.  The automatic disqualification is supposed to prevent these "just a back injury" situations where the player is able to shake out the cobwebs before the test.

Miami needs to be severely punished for this if the league wants to retain any shred of credibility regarding player safety.

2 hours ago, Wayne Cubed said:

Actually no that's not in the protocol, and that's maybe where there's a loophole.

If you exhibit what the NFL calls "gross motor instability" aka you get up from a hit and are a bit wobbly or unsteady, then you must be examined for a concusion. Here's where the loophole is, if the independent doctor and team doctor determine it's no neurological, then you can go back into the game. Both the Dolphins and independent neurologist determined Tuas wasn't neurological from the tests they do in the protocol. Now, that doesn't mean the protocol works or is perfect. He should have obvioulsy been to have further tests

The easiest way to close that loop is to just say, hey if you exhibit this gross motor instability, you are out of the game. If I had to guess, they put that in the protocal in case someone gets up from a big hit and trips or falls over another player. That could be viewed as unsteadiness by an independent spotter.

Just heard Brown & Tasker reiterate that the symptoms Tua showed after getting up, mean an automatic “done for the day”.

• Like (+1) 1

So I’m just kind of learning the details of “no go” protocol.

So apparently if a player suffers fencing symptoms like we saw last night it’s automatic no go. Obviously.

But if a player stumbles to the ground after a hit to the head all the doctors get together and determine what caused the stumbling? Are we stupid? That definitely sets up a huge loophole in the rules. Why would they even put that in the rules? Just in case a star QB gets knocked out in the Super Bowl he might be able to return?

Yikes.

3 hours ago, nucci said:

Still amazing they called it a back injury.

My guess with absolutely zero medical training  but several documented concussions lol is that he probably had a back injury and a concussion.  the team doctor probably suggested the loss of motor function could’ve happened from the back injury if he passed all the other concussion tests and the independent neurologist said it was possible.  It’s the team doctors call ultimately.

I bet they waited til halftime to test him so he got some of his wits back.  If he got that test right away no way he would’ve passed 

5 minutes ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

So I’m just kind of learning the details of “no go” protocol.

So apparently if a player suffers fencing symptoms like we saw last night it’s automatic no go. Obviously.

But if a player stumbles to the ground after a hit to the head all the doctors get together and determine what caused the stumbling? Are we stupid? That definitely sets up a huge loophole in the rules. Why would they even put that in the rules? Just in case a star QB gets knocked out in the Super Bowl he might be able to return?

Yikes.

Yup a loophole that was exploited either accidentally or knowingly 

Edited by Generic_Bills_Fan

10 minutes ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

This NFL doctor just lied or he doesn’t know the NFL’s concussion protocol “no go” rules.

So he admits they don't look at the video evidence of how he was loopy on the field.  Also seemed to say loss of motor function isn't a "no go", despite it absolutely being so?

50 minutes ago, DaggersEOD said:

As the leader of that team, when McDaniels saw how Tua was behaving last week, he should’ve used his Coach card and pulled him from the game, regardless of what the player/docs were telling him. 

I’ve served and I’m imagining that the team atmosphere is similar to a military unit’s atmosphere in terms of personal closeness and relationships. The brotherhood.

From that perspective, McDaniels is either a coward, too weak to stand up to the organizational/player pressure to allow this to happen, or a cold heartless human, more obsessed with his ambition to care about the well-being and livelihoods of his team. 

Maybe he thinks he’s more like the Rocky 4 Creed v Drago coach not throwing in the towel/ending the match?

Reality, it’s likely (speculation) a combo of the 1st two and a calculated roll of the dice, assuming Tua wouldn’t get hit like that 2 games in a row. Another poster mentioned the long break after this week. Probably another consideration. 

At the end of the day, anyone from their couch could tell Tua hurt his head last week but the phins are insisting that we’re all wrong. That will be the place where the friction builds until this breaks wide open IMO. 

I know it’s the fish/Tua but this just seems so wrong to me. The team needs to look after it’s members. This seems to have violated that. 

Makes me think back to Robert Griffith and Shanahan was coaching them. Griffith couldn’t stand up from the beating he was taking, but Shanahan kept putting him back in the game. Basically ruined his career.

• Agree 2

Just now, Generic_Bills_Fan said:

My guess with absolutely zero medical training lol is that he probably had a back injury and a concussion.  the team doctor probably suggested the loss of motor function could’ve happened from the back injury if he passed all the other concussion tests and the independent neurologist said it was possible.  It’s the team doctors call ultimately 

Was the back injury reported? Do NFL teams have to report injuries that get examined during the game?

We have eyes. Honestly I would rather just have the old rules back where we didn’t care about concussions and just let the players decide for themselves.

The NFL thinks we’re stupid. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.