NFLPA initiating investigation into Tua’s concussion protocol

YoloinOhio

1 minute ago, nucci said:

Still amazing they called it a back injury.

That's because Tua said it was his back. By the time he got to the locker room, he had knocked the cobwebs out and could pass the baseline testing. No doctor can look inside a patient's head on the spot and see a concussion. They have to have the cooperation of the patient.

3 minutes ago, wjag said:

I would imagine, giving the opportunity to say it over, McDaniels would not say "more serious".  I think we all know he meant paralysis.  Just an awful sound bite repeating over and over today though.

McDaniel is really awkward and tone deaf, but we all know what he meant.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Mango said:

Just to be clear? if this isn’t on the league is it your ascertain that NHL players are just more honest than NFL players. Lindros, Crosby, Tim Connolly all missed an entire season or more with one concussion? Because other leagues are identifying more concussions with more extensive delays to return. 

Somebody posted an earlier a quote from the NFL about protocol along the lines of “we prefer a team approach to concussion evaluation with the independent neurologist and team physician because of familiarity”. I think it’s a liability fail safe to cover the neuro and play the player. 

In theory the team physician is there to tell the neurologist that symptoms that may be clinically insignificant should be taken into consideration. But what we see with Tua is the team physician is offering possibilities of alternative differentials. Given the replay of Tua’s first hit and his attempt to walk away there isn’t a neuro on the planet willing to clear him. Not without another clinician present providing alternatives. 

Given the embarrassingly low rate of games/weeks missed in the NFL compared to other sporting leagues, it’s reasonable to assume that this is happening regularly. 

I’d imagine that there are a lot of team docs similar to James E Woods’ character in “Any Given Sunday”

Crosby, Lindros, Connolly - all showed extensive symptoms of lingering concussion.  Connolly repeated talked about his severe headaches and how light bothered him for months.  Crosby and Lindros both suffered from extended headaches after the concussion.

You rarely hear about that with NFL players - why?  My belief is the helmets in the NFL absorb significantly more of the trauma than the helmets in Hockey.  In addition the field in the NFL - even in the worse cases - is significantly softer and more absorbent than the ice in the NHL.  In Hockey when a player gets a severe concussion (or several like the players mentioned) there is more obvious damage and less protection - so the injuries linger longer.  

In the NFL most players are exactly what you saw with Tua on Sunday - they get dinged - act funny, but are able to fairly quickly process cognitive questions and do not have severe headaches and light sensitivity.  Those symptoms are part of the concussion protocol and will prevent players from clearing if they are positive.

The idea of a team doctor and an independent doctor working together is exactly what was mentioned by the coach - sometimes you can hear that player sounds different - and an independent person that does not spend time with the player will not recognize that necessarily.

I also disagree that other leagues are identifying more concussions.  There have been several instances where hockey players are not diagnosed until days after a game because of symptoms, but they were allowed back out into the game.  My guess is we would find that Hockey actually misses more concussions than football, but when they have severe concussion they are caught more frequently due to symptoms that manifest themselves.

I think if hockey wanted to do something about concussions - they would invest in significantly better protection of the heads than the loose helmets with little padding that is currently worn.  Additionally Hockey players may play 3-4-5 games in a week and therefore a concussion that lasts 6 days may involve missing 4 games - where in the NFL that same concussion would result in not missing a game - you are comparing apples and oranges with games miss.  Based on a season - each NFL game missed would equal at minimum 5 NHL games and as I have said - many NHL players have had to retire due to concussions because the symptoms do not go away.

Now - I totally agree that I think Tua most likely had a concussion on Sunday against the Bills and as I have stated - I think the NFLPA/NFL should be pushing for if a person has the “wobbly knees” where they can’t walk or goes to the wrong huddle type of sign - then they should automatically be placed into the protocol and not cleared to return - period, but that is not the rule the NFL/NFLPA agreed to.  They agreed that the player would be evaluated independently and compared to a baseline test and if they can pass that and have no lingering symptoms- they can be cleared.

Finally, to your bolded - It makes sense that no one would clear him - except they did.  McDaniel has stated he was evaluated by the independent physician and he cleared the exam within reasonable expectations of his baseline and had no symptoms.  So did the independent physician not do his job?  Was the baseline testing that Tua did falsely low - to help him clear protocol quicker or avoid protocol altogether?  Was the slow walk enough time for Tua to clear his head and pass the cognitive testing - should that have been done quicker?  

There are many things to question about the NFL’s protocol and how much should the league and teams do to protect the players from themselves, but if you have a standard - agreed to protocol - and the Dolphins can show it was followed then there is little to do.  

Edited by Rochesterfan

5 minutes ago, FrenchConnection said:

That's because Tua said it was his back. By the time he got to the locker room, he had knocked the cobwebs out and could pass the baseline testing. No doctor can look inside a patient's head on the spot and see a concussion. They have to have the cooperation of the patient.

No good Dr would look at that and agree it was a back injury. Sometimes common sense has to be applied

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 2

3 minutes ago, Rochesterfan said:

Crosby, Lindros, Connolly - all showed extensive symptoms of lingering concussion.  Connolly repeated talked about his severe headaches and how light bothered him for months.  Crosby and Lindros both suffered from extended headaches after the concussion.

You rarely hear about that with NFL players - why?  My belief is the helmets in the NFL absorb significantly more of the trauma than the helmets in Hockey.  In addition the field in the NFL - even in the worse cases - is significantly softer and more absorbent than the ice in the NHL.  In Hockey when a player gets a severe concussion (or several like the players mentioned) there is more obvious damage and less protection - so the injuries linger longer.  

In the NFL most players are exactly what you saw with Tua on Sunday - they get dinged - act funny, but are able to fairly quickly process cognitive questions and do not have severe headaches and light sensitivity.  Those symptoms are part of the concussion protocol and will prevent players from clearing if they are positive.

The idea of a team doctor and an independent doctor working together is exactly what was mentioned by the coach - sometimes you can hear that player sounds different - and an independent person that does not spend time with the player will not recognize that necessarily.

I also disagree that other leagues are identifying more concussions.  There have been several instances where hockey players are not diagnosed until days after a game because of symptoms, but they were allowed back out into the game.  My guess is we would find that Hockey actually misses more concussions than football, but when they have concussion they are caught more frequently due to symptoms that manifest themselves.

I think if hockey wanted to do something about concussions - they would invest in significantly better protection of the heads than the loose helmets with little padding that is currently worn.  Additionally Hockey players may play 3-4-5 games in a week and therefore a concussion that lasts 6 days may involve missing 4 games - where in the NFL that same concussion would result in not missing a game - you are comparing apples and oranges with games miss.  Based on a season - each NFL game missed would equal at minimum 5 NHL games and as I have said - many NHL players have had to retire due to concussions because the symptoms do not go away.

Now - I totally agree that I think Tua most likely had a concussion on Sunday against the Bills and as I have stated - I think the NFLPA/NFL should be pushing for if a person has the “wobbly knees” where they can’t walk or goes to the wrong huddle type of sign - then they should automatically be placed into the protocol and not cleared to return - period, but that is not the rule the NFL/NFLPA agreed to.  They agreed that the player would be evaluated independently and compared to a baseline test and if they can pass that and have no lingering symptoms- they can be cleared.

Finally, to your bolded - It makes sense that no one would clear him - except they did.  McDaniel has stated he was evaluated by the independent physician and he cleared the exam within reasonable expectations of his baseline and had no symptoms.  So did the independent physician not do his job?  Was the baseline testing that Tua did falsely low - to help him clear protocol quicker or avoid protocol altogether?  Was the slow walk enough time for Tua to clear his head and pass the cognitive testing - should that have been done quicker?  

There are many things to question about the NFL’s protocol and how much should the league and teams do to protect the players from themselves, but if you have a standard - agreed to protocol - and the Dolphins can show it was followed then there is little to do.  

I think another factor is that in hockey, you don't see the hit coming a lot of the times. Also, a lot of the hits are a head bouncing off the glass.

3 minutes ago, nucci said:

No good Dr would look at that and agree it was a back injury. Sometimes common sense has to be applied

You'd like to think so. 

• Like (+1) 2

13 minutes ago, nucci said:

But this is where the loophole is in the protocol.

The protocal states that if you exhibit gross motor instability, aka you are wobbly after a hit, then you have to go for a concussion test. Tua went for the concussion test and it was determind it wasn't neurological, based on the tests they preformed. According to the protocal, you can continue once that's determind. Is that right or wrong? They should probably just say if you exhibit gross motor instability, you are out of the game. I'm sure it's in the protocol because you could get up from a hit and trip over your own feet or a player or whatever and that too could look in instability.

My final thoughts on this are that in the end I don't really care. That Rinaldi piece from 3+ years ago has stuck with me. If Tua wants to put his future at risk so as not to appear weak in front of his father, that's his decision. The Dolphins and the NFL should have intervened, but they didn't.

I'm just happy that the Bills coaches, front office, and medical staff wouldn't do this. They treat injuries seriously. From all available evidence, if the Bills behaved like the Dolphins, Dane Jackson would have played in Miami on Sunday as would Ed Oliver and Mitch Morse. 

• Like (+1) 3

16 minutes ago, nucci said:

Agreed. As soon as he got up, held his head and wobbled to the ground anyone with half a brain knew he had some degree of concussion.

• Like (+1) 1

18 minutes ago, Fan in Chicago said:

This decision should be taken out of the players hands. 

That is what the evaluation is all about - they take it out of the players hands.

If they fail the cognitive testing they enter the protocol and can not return.

Therefore as Bart Scott stated - many players cheat on the off season baseline testing to help if something happens during the season.

For the protocol to work it’s best - it takes the players being honest, both during the game and in baseline testing.

If players are going to lie and cheat - the protocols are going to fail and you get exactly what happened with Tua - a guy that should never had returned nor played Thursday, but was cleared for both and will probably be cleared by next Sunday so as not to miss a game.

Edited by Rochesterfan
  • Like (+1) 1

11 hours ago, chongli said:

From the article linked above:

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2022/09/29/demaurice-smith-vows-to-pursue-every-legal-option-regarding-the-handling-of-tua-tagovailoa-on-sunday/

So, if the doctors are found to have violated protocol, it would be appropriate for all plays involving Tua after he went out just before halftime for the Buffalo game be disqualified. Hence, the Bills should be awarded a 19-14 win. It's never going to happen, but just saying.

So like 5 days later and they still havent answered those questions?  Sounds like the legal team is trying to come up with the perfectly worded response.

• Like (+1) 2

2 hours ago, BIGFOOTspaceman said:

He's the head coach with medical info available to him for all his players....he's not a Dr. but he does have judgement.  You use your best judgement and err on the side of caution when it comes to the health and safety of others.  He either chose to look the other way to continue the Phins hype train and re-enforce his ego or he just has poor judgement.  

If he did something not on the level with Tua regarding his health, he will lose the respect of the veterans on that team.

This exactly.  He does have judgement - and is in a position to make decisions affecting player availability.  To say "but the doctors cleared him" is no excuse.  He saw what everyone else saw Sun - an obvious concussion. 

To hear him at the PC (after the "just a concussion" remark) talk about how he would never ever put a hurt player in harms way - so disingenuous - such a lie.  He literally did that Sun, and then again 4 days later.  I personally think McDaniel should be killed for this.  I never really cozied up to his goofy nerd schtick.  I always thought let's see how his schtick goes when things go bad - how will fans/media/players react when things aren't all rainbows.  To me this makes him look REALLY bad - and exposes the kind of guy he really is.  Interested how the media is going to react to him now after all the glowing ball washing that has been going on 

5 hours ago, Beast said:

What would have stopped him from playing last night if he didn’t go back 8n to the Bills game?

If he was put into concussion protocol on Sunday he might not have gotten out of it in time to play Thursday.  Possible I guess but it would have been close. He definitely would not have had any practice time at all.

1 hour ago, FrenchConnection said:

I don’t disagree. However, a doctor should be able to see Tua stumble and fall, right after the back of his head smacking off the turf, and call BS.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

45 minutes ago, Rochesterfan said:

I do not believe we have a copy of the report from the exam. This is likely part of what the NFLPA is reviewing. I suspect the reports reads with "(List of symptoms) Due to past medical history, symptoms can be explained by chronic spinal issues". Doctors never ever write anything concrete "The patient did not suffer a concussion." I would be floored if a report read "Patient shows no sign of a concussion". Doctors only report in terms of 1. facts and 2. to avoid liabilities when writing patient notes. 

The only possible way that Tua clears protocol is the presence of the team doctor to offer an alternate differential because you cannot have an island where he is "cognitive" with the neuro and the neuro see's that replay without another clinician providing an outside plausibility.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.