NFLPA initiating investigation into Tua’s concussion protocol

YoloinOhio

41 minutes ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

Yeah... But Natasha Richardson bumped her head and died. Yeah, football players wear helmets, that helps... But 4 days after this: His hands are doing the same thing they did last night!

Sunday:

TuaBellRung.png.405f6991d0fbfd507cd0fd15a52c06db.png

4 Days later on Thursday:

TuaSecond-ImpactSyndrome.thumb.jpg.6772e7a28a2b4bc81f8749db4ff5c57c.jpg

True.

I just felt it was weird for people to suddenly be raising the alarm of possible death when concussion protocol was brought about due to long term effects, not death.

19 minutes ago, LeGOATski said:

True.

I just felt it was weird for people to suddenly be raising the alarm of possible death when concussion protocol was brought about due to long term effects, not death.

I think the thing is, it's only been 4 days.  That's bad he took another hit.

Anyway... He's like a rag doll out there. Boy he gets whipped around and head seems to always hit the turf.

This was Zimmer and Epenesa putting the "Malachi Crunch" on him last season:

TheMalaciCrunchOnTua_092021.thumb.jpg.7e0bcaf999271160b956f2da3e30c7ee.jpg

Edited by ExiledInIllinois

It’s clear that the NFL and Dolphins think people are stupid or just complicit enough to not care to dismiss what is obvious to anyone watching the Dolphins past two games. The dude suffered two severe concussions that signaled severe trauma by his body’s response (spaghetti legs and then the frightening neuro response last night).  Whatever vocabulary they use to describe both injuries it wasn’t safe to play and if Tua was smart and the people around truly supportive he’d reassess ever playing again if not this year.  I have no love for the Dolphins but that is just scary stuff that isn’t worth it.  

1 hour ago, LeGOATski said:

I get that it could happen...and one time would be too many... but has any football player ever died from concussions? The concussion protocol is a relatively new thing and I don't recall anyone every dying before. It's more about long term health. Tua should take a long break, and I'm not just saying that as a Bills fan, he has his whole life to think about.

Not immediately but yeah several from CTE. 

• Agree 1

Couldn’t happen to a more deserving franchise. Stephen Ross: Trashthrone King. Of course Tua suffered a concussion last week. Ross is willing to kill his own to win.

6 hours ago, Richard Noggin said:

Micheal Smith on the post-game Amazon broadcast is bringing attention to what everyone knows: this was badly mishandled, everyone knows it, and it needs to be addressed. 

Miami is showing to be the MOST unethical organization in the league now as a demonstrable pattern. That owner has to go. 

Yep. Placed him on the throne in the pregame thread last Sunday. Worse than blatant cheating, he encourages it with his team.

I feel sorry for Tua -for being Drafted by them. Hey Tommy Boy, for part ownership, you’re next.

Edited by Chandler#81
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Angry 1

11 minutes ago, Chandler#81 said:

Couldn’t happen to a more deserving franchise. Stephen Ross: Trashthrone King. Of course Tua suffered a concussion last week. Ross is willing to kill his own to win.

Yep. Placed him on the throne in the pregame thread last Sunday. Worse than blatant cheating, he encourages it with his team.

I feel sorry for Tua -for being Drafted by them. Hey Tommy Boy, for part ownership, you’re next.

Dan Snyder might have to step his game.  Snyder is just cruel to everyone - how else can you explain signing prince Harry as your QB and that awful choice for a team name with the worst uniforms since those jags two tone helmets. 

Edited by Ayjent
  • Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, LeGOATski said:

I get that it could happen...and one time would be too many... but has any football player ever died from concussions? The concussion protocol is a relatively new thing and I don't recall anyone every dying before. It's more about long term health. Tua should take a long break, and I'm not just saying that as a Bills fan, he has his whole life to think about.

We are you always a dick?

Even if the independent neurologist had somehow cleared Tua on Sunday, surely eyesight alone would say to keep him off the field of play? Even if they believed it was his back, it’s still a sensitive area of the body where further, serious, trauma could lead to paralysis. Yet they still thought, “He’s fine, get him out there”?

I’m glad Tua is out of hospital and I wish him a speedy recovery. But it’s horrible to think that all of this suggests they cared more about defeating the Bills and the Bengals than the health of their players.

Edited by UKBillFan
  • Agree 2

2 minutes ago, UKBillFan said:

Even if the independent neurologist had somehow cleared Tua on Sunday, surely eyesight alone would say to keep him off the field of play? Even if they believed it was his back, it’s still a sensitive area of the body where further, serious, trauma could lead to paralysis. Yet they still thought, “He’s fine, get him out there”?

I’m glad Tua is out of hospital and I wish him a speedy recovery. But it’s horrible to think that all of this suggests they cared more about defeating the Bills than the health of their players.

That’s the school of Shanahan - no one is more important than HC, players are replaceable parts.  You get the impression Tua is a dude conditioned to play ball at all costs for everyone based on what they said last night in the broadcast.  The whole narrative the broadcast team had was true irony as everything unfolded down to the interception and injury - it was clear nothing really changed except talent around him.

2 minutes ago, DaBillsFanSince1973 said:

choosing a players health over winning a football game. they knew he had a concussion and let him trot out there 4 days later. the book needs to be thrown at the fins organization, big time. 

a complete disregard for a life.

..and no one stopped this?

1 minute ago, Captain Hindsight said:

Oh look his first huge lie. Little coaching is growing up so fast!

lol like who is he trying to fool

• Thank you (+1) 1

50 minutes ago, Ayjent said:

It’s clear that the NFL and Dolphins think people are stupid or just complicit enough to not care to dismiss what is obvious to anyone watching the Dolphins past two games. The dude suffered two severe concussions that signaled severe trauma by his body’s response (spaghetti legs and then the frightening neuro response last night).  Whatever vocabulary they use to describe both injuries it wasn’t safe to play and if Tua was smart and the people around truly supportive he’d reassess ever playing again if not this year.  I have no love for the Dolphins but that is just scary stuff that isn’t worth it.  

So many people say McDaniel is refreshing because he’s a straight shooter.  He apparently got defensive and upset when questioned about Tua having a concussion on Sunday and allowing him to play 4 days later.  He said he’d never do that to a player.

So, is he lying and his “straight shooter” reputation false?  Or is someone above him working the strings?  I’m not a doctor but regarding Sunday, I’ve never heard of people getting rubber legs from a back injury.  We all saw the back of his helmet hit the turf.  First he staggers, then collapses, and they put him back in to start the 2nd half?  

So, if it truly was a back injury, after that behavior, it still doesn’t make sense why they put him back in that game.

Now, Thursday it’s considered neurological and they say he’s flying home with the team?  Geez!   If Dane Jackson was hurt in a road game, I wonder if he would’ve flown home the same day?

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Ayjent said:

I don’t know if we will ever get all the facts, but it has been talked about before - in the off season/pre season they set baseline levels and players have talked about purposely providing dumbed down answers and doing poorly on the cognitive aspect to make it easier in game and post game to pass the concussion protocol.

Typically - they quickly move you to the blue tent and begin the cognitive aspect - many times while they are still woozy and then hold them out.  I would be super interested in - did the trip to the locker room give him time to gather his senses and did they initiate the cognitive testing immediately or did he tell them his back was the issue and they delayed the cognitive aspect while giving treatment to his back and allowed him more time to “recover” so he could pass.

The fault for this situation may not be the independent doctor, but could be the player himself purposely lowered his baseline scores to make it easier to pass and then by going to the locker room gave himself enough time to regain enough cognitive ability to pass.  In that case - the independent doctor can only say he passed the testing and can’t hold the player out and to me that is how the response from the NFL and Miami read.  

Tua passed his testing (they do not say exactly how quickly that was given in this case versus a normal sideline case) and therefore was cleared - The team still should be looking out for these players, but the truth is many of these players fight to come back - which is why helmets get taken away and hidden to protect the player from themselves.  In this case the Dolphins cared more about winning the game than a players health and that is terrible.

My guess is in the end - the NFLPA will not get anything out of this and hopefully the league will institute some better protocols - like was mentioned previously- if a player experienced any sort of leg wobble, falling down - they are automatically ruled out for the game.

Edited by Rochesterfan
  • Like (+1) 2

4 minutes ago, Rochesterfan said:

I don’t know if we will ever get all the facts, but it has been talked about before - in the off season/pre season they set baseline levels and players have talked about purposely providing dumbed down answers and doing poorly on the cognitive aspect to make it easier in game to pass the concussion protocol.

Typically - they quickly move you to the blue tent and begin the cognitive aspect - many times while they are still woozy and then hold them out.  I would be super interested in - did the trip to the locker room give him time to gather his senses and did they initiate the cognitive testing immediately or did he tell them his back was the issue and they delayed the cognitive aspect while giving treatment to his back and allowed him more time to “recover” so he could pass.

The fault for this situation may not be the independent doctor, but could be the player himself purposely lowered his baseline scores to make it easier to pass and then by going to the locker room gave himself enough time to regain enough cognitive ability to pass.  In that case - the independent doctor can only say he passed the testing and can’t hold the player out and to me that is how the response from the NFL and Miami read.  

Tua passed his testing (they do not say exactly how quickly that was given in this case versus a normal sideline case) and therefore was cleared - The team still should be looking out for these players, but the truth is many of these players fight to come back - which is why helmets get taken away and hidden to protect the player from themselves.  In this case the Dolphins cared more about winning the game than a players health and that is terrible.

My guess is in the end - the NFLPA will not get anything out of this and hopefully the league will institute some better protocols - like was mentioned previously- if a player experienced any sort of leg wobble, falling down - they are automatically ruled out for the game.

The NFL has never been one to pursue accountability beyond the players until it is undeniably blatant and even then it is iffy it involves the organization rather than specific actors.  I love football but the NFL really does allow some horrible crap to occur without much accountability.  If the protocol is easy to navigate around then it’s all for optics with no meaning which sounds about right, bc that’s just how insincere most measures to protect or promote employee well being are within organizations.  And don’t get me wrong there is personal accountability of Tua here too, but people dedicated to their craft and their colleagues/teammates are conditioned to do what’s best for the team, especially in sports.  

As far as NFLPA getting anywhere - hard to say and depends on several factors, including how the Dolphins and NFL handle this moving forward.  They are doing what they can by exerting pressure exploring legal avenues, pursing investigations and making public comments, but they are up against super connected Billionaires who are pretty much shielded from accountability and really own the league - not exactly an easy task. These players make good money but it’s chump change to these owners and the well paid ones are pretty reluctant to speak out. 

30 minutes ago, BobbyC81 said:

So many people say McDaniel is refreshing because he’s a straight shooter.  He apparently got defensive and upset when questioned about Tua having a concussion on Sunday and allowing him to play 4 days later.  He said he’d never do that to a player.

So, is he lying and his “straight shooter” reputation false?  Or is someone above him working the strings?  I’m not a doctor but regarding Sunday, I’ve never heard of people getting rubber legs from a back injury.  We all saw the back of his helmet hit the turf.  First he staggers, then collapses, and they put him back in to start the 2nd half?  

So, if it truly was a back injury, after that behavior, it still doesn’t make sense why they put him back in that game.

Now, Thursday it’s considered neurological and they say he’s flying home with the team?  Geez!   If Dane Jackson was hurt in a road game, I wonder if he would’ve flown home the same day?

I’m always wary of people who say “trust me” or “I’m going to be straight with you…”.  It’s pretty much signaling that your BS meter should going off. 

Anyone who works in the medical field will tell you that the problem with head injuries is that if you aren't healed then the 2nd one is exponentially worse than the 1st. That is why you are supposed to give it time to heal. You can't see the damage inside your brain but if he was hit so hard in the back of the head that he stumbled last week then his brain was probably still very sore and possibly swollen and then he went and smashed it again in the same spot. If you want to know how you get CTE I would say getting smashed in the same spot of the brain twice in 4 days is a good way to start. This will very likely cause him life long effects. This is our rival but he is a really good kid so I feel horrible for him

Just now, Beast said:

My question is, even if Tua was not allowed to go back in the Bills game would that change what happened to him last night?

Yes see above. If not healed then the 2nd one is way worse 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.