NFLPA initiating investigation into Tua’s concussion protocol

YoloinOhio

24 minutes ago, Rc2catch said:

I think this will mostly be swept under the rug. It’ll last a news cycle or so. 
The league will review procedures and nothing will probably come of it. 
Hopefully Tua will recover and be ok. I still believe the only one possibly in trouble or scapegoated  is whoever the independent neurologist was at the Bills game who cleared him to return. Their coach, while we can question his decision probably can’t face any actual discipline. 

The Fins will get a big fine and internal practices will be adjusted but I can't see much more than that sadly. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

Just now, billsfan89 said:

The Fins will get a big fine and internal practices will be adjusted but I can't see much more than that sadly. 

I don’t see really how Miami would be held responsible. 
If an independent neurologist cleared him last week that’s who is on the hook here imo. I mean Miami could have held him out of practice or not played him tonight. But if he passed the protocol there’s not really any liability on their part. Ethics maybe should be questioned but can’t really punish them for that. 

17 minutes ago, Hsker4life said:

Does Miami claiming it was a back injury change any of the protocols?

With everything they’ve put out about the “no-go” criteria, I think the only way he could have been cleared to return is if he never actually entered the concussion protocol in the first place. 

• Agree 2

1 minute ago, Rc2catch said:

If an independent neurologist cleared him last week that’s who is on the hook here imo. I mean Miami could have held him out of practice or not played him tonight. But if he passed the protocol there’s not really any liability on their part. Ethics maybe should be questioned but can’t really punish them for that. 

I agree to an extent but if the team did anything to shy away from an evaluation by the independent neurologist then that warrants a fine and an adjustment of the policy possibly. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, billsfan89 said:

I agree to an extent but if the team did anything to shy away from an evaluation by the independent neurologist then that warrants a fine and an adjustment of the policy possibly. 

Zero chance the league would ever allow that information to hit the public. They have teams of people working on damage control of this right now. They will squash this story with a quickness. And if Tua somehow escapes this at full health it’ll blow over even quicker. 

5 minutes ago, Rc2catch said:

Zero chance the league would ever allow that information to hit the public. They have teams of people working on damage control of this right now. They will squash this story with a quickness. And if Tua somehow escapes this at full health it’ll blow over even quicker. 

So in 10 days when Tua gets lightly tackled again and ends up like 

image.png.65ca0c0961da3f11aa59b429d0a9ff14.png

again, we can look forward to it being explained as actually being the result of head lice.

• Agree 1

41 minutes ago, Rc2catch said:

From the article linked above:

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2022/09/29/demaurice-smith-vows-to-pursue-every-legal-option-regarding-the-handling-of-tua-tagovailoa-on-sunday/

"Here’s the issue, as I explained it both on Football Night in America and throughout the week, on PFT Live and in this outlet. If a player shows “gross motor instability,” he may continue only if the team physician and the Unaffiliated Neurotrauma Consultant conclude that the instability was not neurologically caused.

I posed to the league — twice — on Sunday a very simple question. How did the team physician and the UNC conclude that the gross motor instability exhibited by Tua was not neurological? Did they take Tua’s word for it that it was a back injury? Did they carefully study the know-it-when-you-see-it video that the wobbling and wooziness was not the result of a head injury? Did they do something else?

Those questions have yet to be answered. Presumably, they’ll be answered as part of the investigation that was initiated by the NFLPA. They need to be."

So, if the doctors are found to have violated protocol, it would be appropriate for all plays involving Tua after he went out just before halftime for the Buffalo game be disqualified. Hence, the Bills should be awarded a 19-14 win. It's never going to happen, but just saying.

Edited by chongli

2 minutes ago, Yard Monkey said:

Here's your tweet above:

Just click on the date of the tweet below the actual tweet to get the embedded link to post here.

Edited by chongli
  • Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, chongli said:

So, if the doctors are found to have violated protocol, it would be appropriate for all plays involving Tua after he went out just before halftime for that game be disqualified. Hence, the Bills should be awarded a 19-14 win. It's never going to happen, but just saying.

I think that’s a little unrealistic. But I’m just a guy sitting on the couch drinking Pepsi 😂

• Haha (+1) 3

One thing I'm not sure was picked up on: 

Miami activated their 3rd QB for this game owing to Tua's being less than hale and hearty after Sunday. Rare to have 3 QBs active on game day.

Maybe nothing, maybe they knew more than they let on. Who can say?

• Like (+1) 2

Look what this doc said BEFORE and after the game:

https://www.al.com/nfl/2022/09/neuroscientist-attacks-dolphins-online-after-tua-tagovailoa-injury-you-guys-should-go-to-jail.html

"...Now, Nowinski, a neuroscientist and co-founder and CEO of the Concussion Legacy Foundation, says the Miami Dolphins “should go to jail for letting him play five days after an obvious concussion you covered up. If he dies from second-impact syndrome, I’m pushing for murder charges.”  ..."

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

18 minutes ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

Look what this doc said BEFORE and after the game:

https://www.al.com/nfl/2022/09/neuroscientist-attacks-dolphins-online-after-tua-tagovailoa-injury-you-guys-should-go-to-jail.html

"...Now, Nowinski, a neuroscientist and co-founder and CEO of the Concussion Legacy Foundation, says the Miami Dolphins “should go to jail for letting him play five days after an obvious concussion you covered up. If he dies from second-impact syndrome, I’m pushing for murder charges.”  ..."

I get that it could happen...and one time would be too many... but has any football player ever died from concussions? The concussion protocol is a relatively new thing and I don't recall anyone every dying before. It's more about long term health. Tua should take a long break, and I'm not just saying that as a Bills fan, he has his whole life to think about.

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, LeGOATski said:

I get that it could happen...and one time would be too many... but has any football player ever died from concussions? The concussion protocol is a relatively new thing and I don't recall anyone every dying before. It's more about long term health. Tua should take a long break, and I'm not just saying that as a Bills fan, he has his whole life to think about.

Yeah... But Natasha Richardson bumped her head and died. Yeah, football players wear helmets, that helps... But 4 days after this: His hands are doing the same thing they did last night!

Sunday:

TuaBellRung.png.405f6991d0fbfd507cd0fd15a52c06db.png

4 Days later on Thursday:

TuaSecond-ImpactSyndrome.thumb.jpg.6772e7a28a2b4bc81f8749db4ff5c57c.jpg

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.