NFLPA initiating investigation into Tua’s concussion protocol

YoloinOhio

Just now, Playoffs? said:

We have no idea what happened from when Tua hit his head on the ground (last week) to when he came back out.m in second half. We have no idea who was responsible for what, or who was pulling strings.  We don’t know sh!t. 

And sorry, Captain.. my point being, we don’t know if it was the doctor, people within the Dolphins organization, or the NFL…. But someone was responsible for putting him back on the field last week and this game….

Man that was tough to watch.  Tua got hammered.  What is interesting is several plays earlier he was tackled by a Bengals defender (who was penalized for a late hit) and Tua went down in an odd posture, with legs crossed.  Then last week he came up wobbly.  I don't think he's built for the NFL.  Great player though and I hope he recovers well.

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, Captain Caveman said:

We know that there is supposed to be an independent doctor who has the final say, who is supposed to ultimately be responsible for concussion monitoring, and obviously they failed.

I wonder what the actual mechanics are.  Seems like somebody up in booth radios down to ref to send the player to sideline to get checked out.  Not sure the actual medical check is performed by independent doctor just the call down to the field but I could be wrong.  

https://www.healthline.com/health/fencing-response

Some info about why Tua's hands and arms were contorting like that.  A Fencing response is always indicative of a significant traumatic brain injury.

I pray he's ok.  The Dolphins should burn for this.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Eyeroll 1
  • Agree 2

Man that was tough to watch.  Tua got hammered.  What is interesting is several plays earlier he was tackled by a Bengals defender (who was penalized for a late hit) and Tua went down in an odd posture, with legs crossed.  Then last week he came up wobbly.  I don't think he's built for the NFL.  Great player though and I hope he recovers well.

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, Captain Caveman said:

We know that there is supposed to be an independent doctor who has the final say, who is supposed to ultimately be responsible for concussion monitoring, and obviously they failed.

And the Dolphins team doctors also. We've been over this.

5 minutes ago, SlimShady'sSpaceForce said:

people have died and you are making jokes?

WTF is wrong with you 

What? The joke is about the incompetence of the dolphins medical staff but way to reach and try and make it about something else. Stalk my posts much? You comment or dislike almost all of my posts. It’s weird 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Eyeroll 1

1 minute ago, BuffaloRebound said:

I wonder what the actual mechanics are.  Seems like somebody up in booth radios down to ref to send the player to sideline to get checked out.  Not sure the actual medical check is performed by independent doctor just the call down to the field but I could be wrong.  

https://theathletic.com/3631317/2022/09/27/nfl-concussion-protocol-facts/

If the team’s medical staff feels any player is at risk of a concussion, they are required to pull the player to the sideline and into the medical tent for a focused neurological exam. The exam includes a cervical spine exam (including range of motion and pain), an evaluation of speech, observation of gait, and an eye movement and pupillary exam. If the player displays signs of any loss of consciousness, gross motor inability, confusion or amnesia, team medical staff are not permitted to let the player return to action.

Who has final say about the player’s status?

Each step of the league’s concussion protocol is determined by a team physician in consultation with an unaffiliated neurotrauma consultant on the sideline.

• Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, Captain Caveman said:

Having an independent doctor there does not absolve the Dolphin's medical staff from their responsibility to Tua.   They should have benched him last week and put him in the concussion protocol.   Period.  It should have never even gotten to the independent doctor. 

I guarantee you everyone involved in the decision to put Tua back in Sunday is sweating bullets right now.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, Captain Caveman said:

https://theathletic.com/3631317/2022/09/27/nfl-concussion-protocol-facts/

If the team’s medical staff feels any player is at risk of a concussion, they are required to pull the player to the sideline and into the medical tent for a focused neurological exam. The exam includes a cervical spine exam (including range of motion and pain), an evaluation of speech, observation of gait, and an eye movement and pupillary exam. If the player displays signs of any loss of consciousness, gross motor inability, confusion or amnesia, team medical staff are not permitted to let the player return to action.

Who has final say about the player’s status?

Each step of the league’s concussion protocol is determined by a team physician in consultation with an unaffiliated neurotrauma consultant on the sideline.

Wow the independent neurologist just consults?

• Eyeroll 1

Just now, Generic_Bills_Fan said:

Wow the independent neurologist just consults?

I guess, so, but it seems like it would be career suicide to go against their recommendation (especially should something like this happen afterward.)

It seems like whatever has been the process, and whether it was followed or not, some changes need to be made if the NFL wants us to believe they are taking concussions seriously. 

• Like (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, Inigo Montoya said:

https://www.healthline.com/health/fencing-response

Some info about why Tua's hands and arms were contorting like that.  A Fencing response is always indicative of a significant traumatic brain injury.

I pray he's ok.  The Dolphins should burn for this.

A second Concussion in less than a week can kill someone. Him having that kind of response is terrifying. People should go to jail over this.

• Like (+1) 2

Just now, BillsFanForever19 said:

A second Concussion in less than a week can kill someone. Him having that kind of response is terrifying. People should go to jail over this.

Two mild concussion is close proximity to each other is often worse for the brain than a single major concussion.   The worry is that I think both of Tua's concussions in the last four days were major.  He could really have some lasting damage from these concussions.

Tua playing again Sunday and then again tonight is malpractice.  I don't use that word lightly.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 7

9 minutes ago, BillsFanForever19 said:

Yes and no, second impact syndrome affects people under a certain age, but once they are 23/24 it seems to not be the same factor. REGARDLESS, there's a lot of questions to be answered right now and prayers for a kid that shouldn't have been put in that position 

25 minutes ago, Playoffs? said:

And sorry, Captain.. my point being, we don’t know if it was the doctor, people within the Dolphins organization, or the NFL…. But someone was responsible for putting him back on the field last week and this game….

We do know. It was an independent neurologist. They have one at every game. That’s who clears them after a head injury, and apparently the neurologist cleared him. 

1 minute ago, Airseven said:

Bills fans diagnosing head injuries is almost as fun as Bills fans investigating sexual assault.

As an attorney, I can assure you most legal conversations here are ridiculously sophomoric and just generally wrong.

But people enjoy "talking" so I guess there's a value to it.

I have seen enough pro sports and seen enough guys get lit up to know that he had head trauma last week, and it's also why he had more tonight, especially stemming from much less violent contact.

This is going to be a huge story and heads will end up rolling; it will take time to get going however.

It won't explode overnight.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.