NFLPA initiating investigation into Tua’s concussion protocol

YoloinOhio

1 minute ago, Herc11 said:

Its supposedly an independent doctor, but truly where do you think the doctor comes from? I'm sure its a doctor from the home team area. I highly doubt the NFL is flying in doctors from different areas, for every game. These "independent" doctors may not be so independent in each situation.

Makes sense, but who hires them? Isn’t the NFL responsible for this? Wouldn’t they be on the hook if a Dr was not up to the standard? 

4 minutes ago, Herc11 said:

The whole argument about him coming back and still being able to play fine is ridiculous. In the era before concussions were a big deal players routinely kept playing and did good.

Yeah I’m not making that argument. My point is that I just don’t feel the NFL will be able to prove anything, and therefore I don’t think anything will happen. 

12 minutes ago, Playoffs? said:

I agree too.  Not arguing with you at all (and this question is not directed at you), but how can anything even be proved?  

The Dolphins say, we checked his head, it’s fine. It was his back that was the issue. Who’s gonna say otherwise. Then on top, he still goes back out and makes a game changing play on a long 3rd down, so clearly he was ‘good enough.’  Just feel like the NFL is saying what it needs to say… but what the heck are they gonna do to prove anything?

Im not quite 100% sure of the policies, but I imagine the physicians must make a report for assessment. Cognitive function, sensitivity to light and sound, fine motor skills, pupil reactions etc (if they are specifically assessing for a concussion).

But everything coming out of Miami is that he was being checked for a back injury even though I believe that Tua failed some on the field 

https://www.nfl.com/_amp/concussion-protocol-return-to-participation-protocol

That’s info on the concussion protocol;

This part is key;

When a player receives an impact to the head, the player goes into the Concussion Protocol if:

the player exhibits or reports symptoms or signs suggestive of a concussion or stinger (a nerve pinch injury); or,

So a few points here ;

1. Tua did hit his head is step one to be considered 

2.  Tua showed signs of a concussion on field with the unsteady gait. 
3. Even if the Dolphins are claiming it was a back injury, the fact he wobbled and dropped to a knee can be back or neck related but is usually associated with nerve pain (I.e Stinger etc).

So even the back injury that they are going with is still supposed to automatically put Tua in concussion protocol. 

The NFL independent physicians failed miserably here. 

Edited by DJB
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 3

10 minutes ago, EmotionallyUnstable said:

Makes sense, but who hires them? Isn’t the NFL responsible for this? Wouldn’t they be on the hook if a Dr was not up to the standard? 

I'm sure they've established who they use. Its not like neurologists are a dime a dozen

Edited by Herc11

33 minutes ago, EmotionallyUnstable said:

I’m confused at those calling for a fine/suspension/punishment to the Fins.

Doesn’t an independent neurologist have to approve the reentry of a player? If they gave them the go-ahead, how would that be on the Dolphins ? They got him cleared, so he played. 

Am I missing something? 

I know they said it was his back, but still, the independent Dr. still needs to pass him.

ultimately, exactly what the nfl has insulated itself and teams from

unless the fins pushed the doctor, they probably dont face much beyond possibly hiring a new one 

57 minutes ago, frostbitmic said:

The Dr asks Tua ... I'm holding up three fingers, how many fingers am I holding up ?

Tua answers ... Yellow

Dr ... He's alright, looks like a Spine injury to me, put him back in.

Lmao.

58 minutes ago, frostbitmic said:

The Dr asks Tua ... I'm holding up three fingers, how many fingers am I holding up ?

Tua answers ... Yellow

Dr ... He's alright, looks like a Spine injury to me, put him back in.

Someone has a future in comedy. 

12 hours ago, EmotionallyUnstable said:

Yes, it is a league hired doctor. These docs are highly skilled. The NFLPA isn’t going to improve their methodology. It would have to be proven that the Dolphins did something outside the rules to influence his decision. And even in that very unlikely event, good luck with it. At best that gets handled quietly. Maybe Goodell gets to punch Ross in the balls or something. Or maybe a fine. But what doc is going to put his/her career on the line for something like that? 

14 minutes ago, BarleyNY said:

Appropriate how? It was a league hired MD who made the judgement. Why should the Dolphins be held accountable for something they didn’t do?

Do we even know if he was evaluated by the NFL doc? I dont remember him ever going to the sideline tent. Maybe the Dolphins docs quickly intervened and developed the back injury excuse and told that to the NFL docs so they wouldn't look at him.

5 minutes ago, Herc11 said:

Do we even know if he was evaluated by the NFL doc? I dont remember him ever going to the sideline tent. Maybe the Dolphins docs quickly intervened and developed the back injury excuse and told that to the NFL docs so they wouldn't look at him.

The NFL doc is responsible for doing the check and has the authority to hold a player out of a game. If the doc or the league says a player needs a check, then that player has to be cleared before he sees the field again. Teams have no authority to prevent or override any of that. 

The whole "his back locked up" thing is crap. Dude showed traditional symptoms of a concussion. His head got slammed, he came up shaking it and then stumbled a bunch because he was dizzy as eff. 

Clearly player health and safety is not a priority in Miami. Not when you're blatantly lying about a kid having a concussion so he can keep playing and while you're purposely designing stadium renovations to force opposing teams to bake in the heat. Lame as all get out.

• Like (+1) 1

I'd just ask that the NFL apply their standards evenly--but you know they WON'T at some point, this season, maybe even to us. It's always which crew, which doctor, and, to some degree, I believe which franchise.

I don't think the Fins did anything wrong. But the NFL claims to CARE about these dudes' lives 20 years from now. Hard to believe that given what we saw. Back injury? OK doc. Dude basically passed out on the field after a textbook headwhip, the very action we've all been told slams the brain back into the skull. I don't care if he knew his address AND his third grade math teacher's name, if the NFL actually cared, he doesn't come back in.

3 minutes ago, Golden*Wheels said:

I'd just ask that the NFL apply their standards evenly--but you know they WON'T at some point, this season, maybe even to us. It's always which crew, which doctor, and, to some degree, I believe which franchise.

I don't think the Fins did anything wrong. But the NFL claims to CARE about these dudes' lives 20 years from now. Hard to believe that given what we saw. Back injury? OK doc. Dude basically passed out on the field after a textbook headwhip, the very action we've all been told slams the brain back into the skull. I don't care if he knew his address AND his third grade math teacher's name, if the NFL actually cared, he doesn't come back in.

I think the Dolphins were absolutely wrong to allow Tua to go back into the game.

They put winning before a player's health.  We're not talking about a dislocated thumb, here.  Tua looked like he got sucker punched by Mike Tyson in his prime.

Putting him back onto the field was irresponsible and 100% wrong.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

18 minutes ago, blacklabel said:

The whole "his back locked up" thing is crap. Dude showed traditional symptoms of a concussion. His head got slammed, he came up shaking it and then stumbled a bunch because he was dizzy as eff. 

Clearly player health and safety is not a priority in Miami. Not when you're blatantly lying about a kid having a concussion so he can keep playing and while you're purposely designing stadium renovations to force opposing teams to bake in the heat. Lame as all get out.

They are the new Patriots, cheating in every way possible. Trying to meet with Brady. Offering to pay for losses. Concussion-Gate will always bring to mind cooking the opponents on the far sideline. Very Patriot*-esque. 

9 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

Yeah, that was super shady. But again, the nfl doesn’t really care about the players. They care about their perception and lawsuits.  

To be fair the Bills pulled an O-linemen they probably really needed mid game for concussion and only two years ago the Ravens pulled Lamar in the middle of a playoff game.

• Like (+1) 1

26 minutes ago, Augie said:

They are the new Patriots, cheating in every way possible. Trying to meet with Brady. Offering to pay for losses. Concussion-Gate will always bring to mind cooking the opponents on the far sideline. Very Patriot*-esque. 

I was thinking the same thing, don’t forget Wilkins pinching Josh’s Pickle. Bunch of scumbags. I’m so glad the Bills are a classy organization from the top down!!! 

13 hours ago, DJB said:

The NFL independent physicians failed miserably here. 

Agree. As you say, even if it was a back injury on a previous play, the fact that a mild hit after that had Tua unable to stand should have led to him being pulled.  As a Bills fan I'm all for the Dolphins trying to maim their starting QB but as a human I hate the fact that the Dolphins did so little to keep him safe.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.