The Butt Safety

ToGoGo

Probably won them the game. 

We would’ve gotten the ball around the Miami 45 down 4 with a minute left.   Instead we got it at the 25 down 2 with a minute left.  

With the OL a complete mess at that point, I trust Allen throwing a TD in that situation, more than I did having to work sidelines to get a FG attempt. 

Edited by SCBills

1 hour ago, ToGoGo said:

I don't know guys.

1. 45 yards for the touchdown

OR

2. 45 yards for the field goal

Historically, the second option is way better. 

Agreed.

Now as for the safety rule: punters are just too damn good these days. A free kick from the 20 is usually going to mean 60 yards in the air, sometimes more, with plenty of hang time for coverage. So what you saw today is kind of the norm - the team that was awarded a safety gets the ball on the wrong side of their own 30. I don't think that was the idea when the rule was written. So let's skip the free kick and give the "scoring" team the ball at their own 40, or 45, or midfield. That will end a lot of the discussion about "taking a safety" being the best option when a team is pinned back on 4th down deep in their own territory. 

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.