Meaningless loss

MPT

I agree. I'm honestly already moved on, not really as upset as I'd normally feel after a loss like this.

Too many injuries, too many irregular things (Bass missing a standard 38 yard FG, Allen's bad pass into the dirt when McKenzie was open for a TD, Milano dropping an INT thrown right into his hands, etc.), O-line being a scrambled mess of band-aids, and uncharacteristic penalties.

The heat & patchwork roster just make this L feel not particularly meaningful, kind of like the MNF windstorm against the Pats.

BUT...

Two things still do matter - play calling on short yardage situations, whether it be 3rd & 1 or 3rd & goal at the 1 and the O-line, regardless of injuries. Every year they're mid-tier at best, can't run block to save their lives, & leave Allen scrambling/improvising way too often (and too quickly). 

This also shows that whatever the reason, the Bills still can't win a 1 score game. It's double digit wins or nothing. That has to change.

Edited by BigDingus
  • Agree 4

i dont feel to bad. we caught the injury bug early hopefully we get healthy. fumble gave em 7.  missed a usual money fg and mental mistakes, 4rth down pass, milano walk in pick 6!!!!!! catch it!!! ehem anyways we still were in a great position to win. hill and waddle weren't running wide open against our backups and the front played well. we get to full stregth, miami does not concern me.

its early and i never thought we would run the table. kc lost today to and looked to be our true comparison in the AFC. 

• Like (+1) 1

Bills have to get the 1 seed this year and luckily the Chiefs loss. That said, the Ravens and Dolphins are perfectly capable of competing for the one seed and they both won today. I probably rather go to KC than Miami again in the post season. 

Lose next week against the Ravens who are not push overs and we have a serious issue on our hands. 

1 minute ago, BigDingus said:

Two things still do matter - play calling on short yardage situations, whether it be 3rd & 1 or 3rd & goal at the 1 and the O-line, regardless of injuries. Every year they're mid-tier at best, can't run block to save their lives, & leave Allen scrambling/improvising way too often (and too quickly). 

This also shows that whatever the reason, the Bills still can't win a 1 score game. It's double digit wins or nothing. That has to change.

No.. its meaningless apparently..

What a ridiculous reaction. Divisional game against our top competition to win the East. It's quite meaningful, just not the end of the world. We should have won, we had so many opportunities to win that had nothing to do with injuries. Missed FG, dropped pick 6, many other drops, fumble inside our 10...

I wouldn't go as far as saying it's meaningless, especially since it's a division rival. But I don't feel as bad as I normally would. We were out 5 defensive starters to start the game. Injuries piled up as the game went on, Gabe got the ball knocked out in the end zone, Bass was jinxed and missed the field goal, Milano dropped a pick six, and Allen pulled a Tua and shorted it to McKenzie, and we still lost a close game. We beat ourselves. We'll see them again. Hopefully we knock them out of playoff contention when we do.

3 minutes ago, BigDingus said:

I agree. I'm honestly already moved on, not really as upset as I'd normally feel after a loss like this.

Too many injuries, too many irregular things (Bass missing a standard 38 yard FG, Allen's bad pass into the dirt when McKenzie was open for a TD, Milano dropping an INT thrown right into his hands, etc.), O-line being a scrambled mess of band-aids, and uncharacteristic penalties.

The heat & patchwork roster just make this L feel not particularly meaningful, kind of like the MNF windstorm against the Pats.

BUT...

yeah i was saying ok this is us on the good side of 13 seconds but just looking at the entire O as gassed as they were on that drive i had a realization we might not get in fg range with far more time. it would have at least been nice to get a far fg try and miss then the walk off loss we had. 

Just now, SCBills said:

Inability to win close games and injuries has me worried. 

At a certain point, you can’t just say “oh, it was a wind storm” and “oh, but it was super hot”.   

Both valid excuses, especially factoring in our injury situation, but sandwiching those losses around 13 seconds with a Titans slip as the appetizer is something they need to overcome.  It’s not nothing. 

The injuries do worry me for the future of the season. But that's not an indictment of the team. It's just luck, or lack thereof. No team ever won the Super Bowl without a majority of their best players.

• Like (+1) 1

Reminds me when the Bills picked off Brady five times and won on the last second field goal.  Remember how Bills fans thought that was the turning point?

the better team didn’t execute, and it cost them.  Can’t wait for the rematch.

the Dolphins are a wild card team at best.  They aren’t a better team and their ceiling week to week is MUCH lower than the Bills

• Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Loss to a division opponent is "Meaningless". Are you normally a Golf watcher? Maybe collecting stamps is your thing? This game could haunt the Bills all season. Even if the Bills beat the Ravens next week (Tough game), and Miami loses this Thursday against the Bengals. Miami is STILL in first! This was a game the Bills SHOULD have won. Miami gave them the game, the Bills didn't take it... Meaningless, you couldn't be more wrong. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Buffarukus said:

yeah i was saying ok this is us on the good side of 13 seconds but just looking at the entire O as gassed as they were on that drive i had a realization we might not get in fg range with far more time. it would have at least been nice to get a far fg try and miss then the walk off loss we had. 

When the referees let the opposing team knock the ball out and then make no effort to spot the ball in a timely manner then what are you gonna do? There was plenty of time for a FG after the McKenzie catch but they got screwed. I'm not gonna hold that against them.

Just now, MPT said:

When the referees let the opposing team knock the ball out and then make no effort to spot the ball in a timely manner then what are you gonna do? There was plenty of time for a FG after the McKenzie catch but they got screwed. I'm not gonna hold that against them.

Ot they could have ran it from the goal line on the previous possession

20 minutes ago, MPT said:

Let's settle down and dispense with the overreactions. Can't win close games, Dorsey is worse than Daboll, McDermott doesn't know when to challenge, Beane doesn't address the offense.

Give me a break. We played a game with half our starters against a good team with a historically bad officiating crew on their side in brutal conditions. And this game STILL wasn't even close in terms of quality of play. 

Give me this matchup in the playoffs PLEASE. Easy win and on to the next one.

People overreacting moments after a loss is understandable. They aren’t right, but it’s an understandable emotional reaction. Acting like you’re the voice of reason by calling the loss meaningless is much more wrong.

2 minutes ago, Ross Murdock said:

Loss to a division opponent is "Meaningless". Are you normally a Golf watcher? Maybe collecting stamps is your thing? This game could haunt the Bills all season. Even if the Bills beat the Ravens next week (Tough game), and Miami loses this Thursday against the Bengals. Miami is STILL in first! This was a game the Bills SHOULD have won. Miami gave them the game, the Bills didn't take it... Meaningless, you couldn't be more wrong. 

Agreed.  Look back to the Jaguars last year.  1st round bye on the line, we lose, go to KC to lose again.  There is no such thing as a good loss, especially against a AFCE opponent 

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.