Beane’s Offensive Negligence

Milanos Milano

56 minutes ago, Orlando Tim said:

I am curious if people do not recognize the great team that Beane has put together. I believe by the end we had 17 players out/hurt but still came within a hair of beating a quality opponent? I am very confident that if we get healthy we will be great but the league is built to stop anyone from being able to stockpile talent beyond starters. Our backups are an average NFL team, which is amazing considering on 2018 our starters were mainly good backups.

It’s only great on paper. Great rosters win Super Bowls. 

6 hours ago, IronMaidenBills said:

Not really, livid watching Allen grinding into oblivion so we can rotate linemen that can’t get home outside of Rousseau and Miller. 

Jump.  

we were down 3849 players.  Our players were baking in 85 degree sun while the fins were sitting in the AC.  

our QB ran out of gas.  It happens.  

Nothing to see here.  Miami played great on D.  We didn’t play great on O.  We were decimated by an injury thread and the heat.    We’re still the best team in the league.  

6 hours ago, Coach Tuesday said:

Also insanely dumb are the rostering decisions - activating all the RBs and only five WRs on a day where one of your receivers is coming in injured and the game plan apparently calls for passing the ball SIXTY TIMES.

I'm pretty sure the game plan was to run the ball and keep the ball out of Miami's hands. But unfortunately by the end of the 1st quarter it became clear that running was a waste of time. Losing Kumerow to injury early on had a much bigger impact than anyone realized, we weren't able to spell Diggs and Davis so they were both wiped out by the end of the game. Anyways Shakir wasn't inactive because of all our RBs being active, he was a casualty of us dressing 9 DBs. I think they came into the game expecting Miami's passing offense to give them more trouble than it did... If McDermott knew before the game how well the zone coverage would thwart Miami's offense we would have had a different plan.

8 hours ago, IronMaidenBills said:

Not really, livid watching Allen grinding into oblivion so we can rotate linemen that can’t get home outside of Rousseau and Miller. 

You didn’t mind it when it was beating the Rams and the Titans

I’m trying very hard not to call Fellow bills fans ignorant trying very hard

When you take a look at the amount of starters not only did not start the game for us but that we lost during the game and then you complain about lack of production you look ignorant

Edited by John from Riverside

7 hours ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Davis is enigmatic.  

The Dolphins held Allen to under 7 yards per pass attempt despite exposing themselves to big plays with the blitz all game.

Allen is in for a beating this season one way or another.........the defensive investments are yielding great but they shoulda' put at least one blue chip into the offense.

Instead they signed a bunch of run blocking OL........probably because those are much cheaper(though they paid top of the market for a mid-30 something OG of any sort).........and took a flyer on Crowder and drafted a WR in the 5th. 

That was not enough...........maybe they can bully their way thru this season with all of the D talent.........but Allen is taking a beating in the meantime.

Did you mean "Going to" take a beating this year? That would make more sense to me because there were no beatings of Allen in week 1 and 2 beyond the typical contact he got here and there when he ran. Today was a beating for sure but between the heat and being down 3 lineman and multiple targets it was an off the rails game example.

So let me get this right. 

the Offense of the Highest scoring Offense in the league has been neglected? 

the Offense that controlled the game today with 40 min of TOP has been neglected? 

the offense that did that with BUs (down the the last active Lineman playing by the end of the game on the OL has been neglected? 

yeah nope 

6 hours ago, IronMaidenBills said:

We have a bunch of old olinemen, of course they aren’t going to be able to stay healthy. We haven’t drafted anyone worth a darn outside of Brown, so what’s to be expected. 

So Brown was out due to heat. So your person you say was worth a damn didn’t stay healthy. But man those older guys like Saffold sure didn’t miss a play huh. 

12 hours ago, BigDingus said:

Look, I understand heat & injuries really made this a s*** show for us today, but you're still 100% right about the O-line.

This is something Josh Allen has helped cover up for the past few years, but this team has barely invested anything in upgrading this line. All they do is look to patch it up each off-season, with mid-level vets & late round picks. They prioritize "flexibility" & guys who can be a Swiss army knife filling holes, rather than elite talent at their respective position.

It's part of the reason we can't run the ball, regardless of who the RB's are. James Cook might be amazing, but we'll never know his true potential with this line. Allen dancing around pressure & scrambling helps keep their sack numbers low, but they're mediocre group at BEST.

Seeing that this O-Line is different with new pieces being added every year, you are wrong.

11 hours ago, IronMaidenBills said:

Imagine if we had Tyreek Hill and an all pro guard and tackle. 

The same outcome would have happened. 

30 minutes ago, Orlando Tim said:

So then we can't know until February if this a great roster by your standard, why are you getting worked up now?

Because what I saw Sunday is not indicative of a super bowl team. We got beat by a much lesser team that should have never had happened. We do this all the time, it just shows we aren’t ready yet. I thought we were, but it’s looking like I was wrong, and it will be mostly due to how we’ve neglected the oline. 

• Dislike 1

7 hours ago, 34-78-83 said:

Did you mean "Going to" take a beating this year? That would make more sense to me because there were no beatings of Allen in week 1 and 2 beyond the typical contact he got here and there when he ran. Today was a beating for sure but between the heat and being down 3 lineman and multiple targets it was an off the rails game example.

If you don't think Allen took a lot of hits in that opener in LA then you clearly didn't watch the game.   He ran a ton and didn't have a single one end without a hard hit or landing.   He's been roughed up a lot already this season.

This is the style of offense they have........they have skill but don't have speed or YAC ability so Allen needs good protection to buy time for bigger plays to develop.........or he has to dink and dunk down the field or pay the price himself physically to keep the ball moving.

Same situation last season.......like yesterday, he averaged a lowly 6.7 yards per pass attempt last year because his receivers aren't good at making yards after the reception.   They were dead last in the NFL in YAC, in fact.  

Most QB's in his position are throwing passes away and punting with this kind of pass pressure and lack of blitz beating speed..........but Allen will pull it down and take a big hit to run for a first on 3rd and 6 when all of his receivers are covered.    It's a cheat code for keeping the ball moving but as a result he takes a beating in games like this last one.

5 hours ago, BADOLBILZ said:

If you don't think Allen took a lot of hits in that opener in LA then you clearly didn't watch the game.   He ran a ton and didn't have a single one end without a hard hit or landing.   He's been roughed up a lot already this season.

This is the style of offense they have........they have skill but don't have speed or YAC ability so Allen needs good protection to buy time for bigger plays to develop.........or he has to dink and dunk down the field or pay the price himself physically to keep the ball moving.

Same situation last season.......like yesterday, he averaged a lowly 6.7 yards per pass attempt last year because his receivers aren't good at making yards after the reception.   They were dead last in the NFL in YAC, in fact.  

Most QB's in his position are throwing passes away and punting with this kind of pass pressure and lack of blitz beating speed..........but Allen will pull it down and take a big hit to run for a first on 3rd and 6 when all of his receivers are covered.    It's a cheat code for keeping the ball moving but as a result he takes a beating in games like this last one.

Ehh not with ya totally man on the Rams game, but I get what you’re trying to say and of course man I watch every game multiple times. I think just based on our previous interactions alone you already know that, but ehh. I watch one live and one condensed play back Then I watch film reviews in addition. And I of course watch the rest of the league too. I’m an Absolute football junkie. Odd statement for you to make about me but whatever man.

You’re comparing him to typical QBs I get it. He was out there having fun running dudes over in the Rams game. He cannot be equated to the typical hit damage taken by other qbs. Getting hit when standing in the pocket is the only thing I worry about with Joshy boy. He’s farm strong. Head shots and things like that aside HE is the one out there delivering the blows. With that said I DID find it odd that he was free wheeling out there in the Rams game mid to late in the 4th

I’m just not all in on the overall concern there even from last year. Again with that, it’s the games where he took shots in the pocket that concern me much more. I am aware of the lower ypa yesterday due to our blitz adjustments and whatnot. The lower ypa wasn’t there in the other 2 games so it’s dependent on the defense we face of course.

I agree on the low Rac represented last season and visually that has improved thus far this year overall. Yesterday, down 3 o linemen and Diggs and Dirty at times makes the whole game tough to evaluate. I do feel like when Cook gets up to speed he will help in that area. Plus it’sa fact that both Dirty and Crowder provide more Rac potential than Bease did.

Josh will need to adjust his physical nature in his career but not for some time to come, maybe by 30-31 I’d imagine.

He neglected the offense so much so that even with a bunch of injuries to deal with Josh leads the league in passing, Diggs leads the league in receiving(Both Beane acquisitions)the offense is 2nd in yards averaging over 440 yards per game and 3rd in points per game averaging over 30 points a game. With stats like that I hope he continues to "neglect" the offense in the future. 

2 minutes ago, LOVEMESOMEBILLS said:

He neglected the offense so much so that even with a bunch of injuries to deal with Josh leads the league in passing, Diggs leads the league in receiving(Both Beane acquisitions)the offense is 2nd in yards averaging over 440 yards per game and 3rd in points per game averaging over 30 points a game. With stats like that I hope he continues to "neglect" the offense in the future. 

Well…you basically listed the only two that are worth being excited about. That said…Davis has a good chance, but needs to stay healthy. Cook has potential, but he could go either way. 

Out line is a problem. It just is. Dawkins is good and so is Morse. After that, we can upgrade on the other three positions. In fact, who knows how long Morse will stick it out?  Might be wise to look for a center prospect sooner rather than later. The draft needs to be heavy on offensive line this year. 

1 minute ago, whorlnut said:

Well…you basically listed the only two that are worth being excited about. That said…Davis has a good chance, but needs to stay healthy. Cook has potential, but he could go either way. 

Out line is a problem. It just is. Dawkins is good and so is Morse. After that, we can upgrade on the other three positions. In fact, who knows how long Morse will stick it out?  Might be wise to look for a center prospect sooner rather than later. The draft needs to be heavy on offensive line this year. 

I simply listed 2 players that lead the league in yards. My point is collectively they are elite as a unit ranking in the top 3 in yards and points per game.

Could there be better players at certain positions, sure, but we're paying for several very good players and a few elite players. There's a salary cap, can't have stars at every position. 

Take yesterday for example they played with the #3 center, backups at RG & RT. Diggs missed a good chunk of the 2nd half with heat issues, Knox and McKenzie left for a stretch to get IVs, Davis was clearly still hobbled, Kumerow left in the 1st half injured and they still gained 500 yards. Just ggotta get the ball in the endzone and make easy kicks when given the chance.

1 minute ago, LOVEMESOMEBILLS said:

I simply listed 2 players that lead the league in yards. My point is collectively they are elite as a unit ranking in the top 3 in yards and points per game.

Could there be better players at certain positions, sure, but we're paying for several very good players and a few elite players. There's a salary cap, can't have stars at every position. 

Take yesterday for example they played with the #3 center, backups at RG & RT. Diggs missed a good chunk of the 2nd half with heat issues, Knox and McKenzie left for a stretch to get IVs, Davis was clearly still hobbled, Kumerow left in the 1st half injured and they still gained 500 yards. Just ggotta get the ball in the endzone and make easy kicks when given the chance.

My main argument is they need to draft more offense and do it earlier in the draft. 

1 hour ago, 34-78-83 said:

Ehh not with ya totally man on the Rams game, but I get what you’re trying to say and of course man I watch every game multiple times. I think just based on our previous interactions alone you already know that, but ehh. I watch one live and one condensed play back Then I watch film reviews in addition. And I of course watch the rest of the league too. I’m an Absolute football junkie. Odd statement for you to make about me but whatever man.

You’re comparing him to typical QBs I get it. He was out there having fun running dudes over in the Rams game. He cannot be equated to the typical hit damage taken by other qbs. Getting hit when standing in the pocket is the only thing I worry about with Joshy boy. He’s farm strong. Head shots and things like that aside HE is the one out there delivering the blows. With that said I DID find it odd that he was free wheeling out there in the Rams game mid to late in the 4th

I’m just not all in on the overall concern there even from last year. Again with that, it’s the games where he took shots in the pocket that concern me much more. I am aware of the lower ypa yesterday due to our blitz adjustments and whatnot. The lower ypa wasn’t there in the other 2 games so it’s dependent on the defense we face of course.

I agree on the low Rac represented last season and visually that has improved thus far this year overall. Yesterday, down 3 o linemen and Diggs and Dirty at times makes the whole game tough to evaluate. I do feel like when Cook gets up to speed he will help in that area. Plus it’sa fact that both Dirty and Crowder provide more Rac potential than Bease did.

Josh will need to adjust his physical nature in his career but not for some time to come, maybe by 30-31 I’d imagine.

Cam Newton used to laugh and ham it up when people dropped him like a sack of potatoes too.     It doesn't matter........the damage accumulates.   No QB has taken the kind of punishment Allen has to this point of his career and remained a franchise level QB for even 9 seasons.......he's in year 5 now..........so you might want to re-evaluate your "maybe 30-31" he's gotta' think about adjusting his game estimate.

Unfortunately the Dolphins pushed the right button with the Bills yesterday.    Allen was not razor sharp throwing the ball like he was against the also aggressive Rams pass rush.....so the Bills lack of explosive players on offense just lead to tons of small plays despite the Dolphins sending extra rushers and playing light in the secondary ALL DAY.

The Bills ran over 90 plays........that is a MASSIVE amount of plays.........that's not just tryna-catch-up-in-garbage-time-passing numbers it takes 40 minutes of possession to do that.   You'd think teams that do that would win the vast majority of games played but according to NFL now episode today, teams that have ran that many plays are just 32-31 in those games all time.    Because big plays matter.    It's great that they can put up a 10+ play drives practically every time they get the ball but big plays change games.    They haven't surrounded Allen with an ideal balance of either pass blocking talent or YAC guys.    So it's going to be a very physical 20 game season for Allen if he is going to win a SB.  

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.