2nd and GOAL at the 1

KDIGGZ

52 minutes ago, Jerboski said:

Those calls were absolutely atrocious 

go under center and sneak the damn ball it works 80% of the time 

just ridiculous 

Sneak with what? A 3rd string OL. That wasn't going to work either.  We made a ton of mistakes today by both coaches & players. The heat and 7 injured starters doesn't help.  And I'm sure the news of losing Micah for the season loomed. I just wanted us to survive this game with a 1 pt win. But we came up 5 yards short and 5 seconds too late.

The 20/20 hindsight armchair quarterbacking never gets old around here. Miami’s D line abused our interior OL all day. Now, I think having a 3rd string center and OG much of the time played into that and it’s not much of a stretch to assume Dorsey and Co. were seeing the same thing. Perfectly understandable that they’d opt to pass in that situation and 9 times out of 10, Josh doesn’t lose his footing and miss an open McKenzie. 

Edited by K-9
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Disagree 1

Lets see ... If the first team OL is out there and feeling good then no doubt you QB sneak that 2nd down play.  I think we had a third string center playing his first game in many weeks (Mancz), a backup tackle at RG (Doyle) playing his first game in many weeks, and a backup tackle at RT (Queesenbury).  

I don't know if Josh was having trouble with snaps from both Roten and Mancz but I might have tried:

1. Run Singletary behind Gilliam and I would be looking more to the left side, or
  2. Fake to Singletary and Josh carry it around the end.  

On third and fourth play action, RPO, do things that keep Josh moving so he can run it in if the pass is not there. 

Too many plays in the red zone Josh was in the pocket with no one to throw to.   He need to be moving on some of those plays.  

Miami blitzed a lot and kept Allen under pressure.  When they didn't blitz deep in the red zone Josh had trouble finding open recievers. 

Knox was not much of a factor in the pass game again.  He is not healthy and he spent time on the IV.  

• Agree 1

4 minutes ago, K-9 said:

The 20/20 hindsight armchair quarterbacking never gets old around here. Miami’s D line abused our interior OL all day. Now, I think having a 3rd string center and OG much of the time played into that and it’s not much of a stretch to assume Dorsey and Co. were seeing the same thing. Perfectly understandable that they’d opt to pass in that situation and 9 times out of 10, Josh doesn’t lose his footing and miss an open McKenzie. 

Yup, this x1000. Somehow these guys must’ve missed the fact that our line (and receivers) were decimated in the second half and that affected both playcalling and execution. 

8 minutes ago, K-9 said:

9 times out of 10 he completes that pass? Then you must have flunked math. Josh completes 60% of his passes. It's not armchair quarterbacking it's statistics 101. It's a very low percentage play vs a run from the 1 yard line. Not tough to understand 

• Agree 1
  • Dislike 1

2 minutes ago, KDIGGZ said:

9 times out of 10 he completes that pass? Then you must have flunked math. Josh completes 60% of his passes. It's not armchair quarterbacking it's statistics 101. It's a very low percentage play vs a run from the 1 yard line. Not tough to understand 

My hyperbole notwithstanding, that’s an easy throw from Josh as we’ve seen countless times. How many times has Josh lost his footing making a throw? 

1 minute ago, ScottLaw said:

He didn’t lose his footing. Just a bad pass… still these close losses are not some fluke. 

Watch the play again and tell me Josh’s lower body mechanics weren’t FUBAR. That’s WHY it was a bad pass. And that WAS a fluke. The bigger question is, WTF and am I even responding to your crap on a game day after a loss? I should know better. 

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, KDIGGZ said:

Yes it deserves its own thread. You have a few inches to go and you are in SHOTGUN? Of course the result of the play is a loss of 2 close to 3 and they need to throw at that point. Discuss

Yep , reminiscent of Daboll.  Bills have a short  yardage problem and that goes  hand in hand with being unable to run the ball with the running back by committee situation.  The frustrating part is we have seen this over 2-3 years now and you would think they might have some solutions by now.  Always losing one possession games is a disturbing fact.  Josh is a true super star , yet with the game on the line in a final drive situation , other than the KC game he has shown a tendency to make a critical mistake and so far that’s the only area his vast improvement seems lagging. ( Tenn game slips, Houston playoff game crazy lateral and failed 4 th down conversion, todays pass into the ground missing  mckenzie ) Too much is being placed on Josh in the red zone. 

I do realize all the flubs by the o before , two botched fg situations , dropped td pass, dropped pick 6 etc.    The bottom line tho is you needed a final successful td drive to win and despite dominating TOP , yardage , etc, we failed in the red zone once again. These games can cost you playoff home field advantage and it feels like we gave one away today. 

I really believe the issue is they keep ignoring the failed run game. If you could run with any success , all that pressure on Josh in the red zone is alleviated. Widows are too tight inside the 10, 5 yard lines to keep relying on passing rather than some power runs.  Fix that run game and I bet we start winning those close games. 

Hey without his heroics all game , we had no chance.  I just wonder why he / the team struggles so much in short yardage and keep making execution errors at the most critical point in one possession games.  Brady , nowhere near the athlete Josh is , was great with the  qb sneak , and great on that game winning drive situation.   Hopefully they figure this last little piece of the puzzle out as that’s the last step to a title.  Maybe it’s just they need more focus in practice for that situation or maybe dorsey needs to get a little further away from the prior Daboll playbook.  Try searching out a run game guru to bring in as a consultant because it’s years of having no run game outside of Josh.  He can’t keep that up without risk of injury.   Hope they learn , but we keep saying this.   Love the team tho, great effort today.   

Edited by DrPJax

2 minutes ago, K-9 said:

My hyperbole notwithstanding, that’s an easy throw from Josh as we’ve seen countless times. How many times has Josh lost his footing making a throw? 

Too much can go wrong that's why a pass only works 6 out of 10 times because he can slip, get sacked, ball get tipped, receiver can trip, drop it, get picked, etc. If you put your math hat on it's just not a good chance of success vs handoff or QB sneak for 1 yard. In fact, a BAD RB will average almost 4 yards PER CARRY and if you look at QB sneaks I think those are successful something like 70% of the time. It's much better odds and smart football

10 minutes ago, KDIGGZ said:

Too much can go wrong that's why a pass only works 6 out of 10 times because he can slip, get sacked, ball get tipped, receiver can trip, drop it, get picked, etc. If you put your math hat on it's just not a good chance of success vs handoff or QB sneak for 1 yard. In fact, a BAD RB will average almost 4 yards PER CARRY and if you look at QB sneaks I think those are successful something like 70% of the time. It's much better odds and smart football

Stuff can go wrong on every play in every game. Should we not have called the TD pass to Motor on fourth and goal because “too much can go wrong?”

Look at the Bills OL personnel on the field at the time. Look at the first two attempts to run it in. Now, put your math hat on and ask yourself why Dorsey may not have felt the odds were with him on  another attempt to run it in. If Josh doesn’t lose his footing and crumble as he throws the ball, it would have been another short, routine TD pass for him. 

But hey, you have the benefit of hindsight, so good for you. 

Edited by K-9

10 minutes ago, Airseven said:

They don’t execute in general in pressure spots…mentally soft in crunch time. Perhaps a reflection of coaching, who knows.

They lost but COME ON. The commentators even said Josh hasn't thrown an INT in the 4th quarter since 2020. And his stats in the red zone are amazing. He is clutch. So he wasn't today. Are you perfect?

That game is maddening as they could have won if the field goal had been made... and one attempted at the end of the second half. The Milano near pick 6 and of course that missed throw. 

People blaming the OL  here take the cake with all the injuries these guys had!

1 minute ago, Ethan in Cleveland said:

QB sneak is the only correct call. Should not have been in shotgun. 

Doesn't matter who was up front. It was only a few inches. Not even close to a full yard. That was an easy QB sneak. Terrible play call. 

I agree the first down play was a bad call. I’m only debating the fourth down incompletion to McKenzie. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.