We don't have the mentality to win close games

UKBillFan

11 minutes ago, SlimShady'sSpaceForce said:

I’ll bet that the Bills could win the super bowl and @ScottLawwould still B word and complain. 

The afternoon after the night before and I actually look back on this and feel embarrassed. It was an emotional take posted straight after the loss. I should have waited by it was cathartic at the time.

Saying that, I do still have concerns about our ability of getting over the line in close games. Seven straight losses is not good for Super Bowl favourites, and we seem to find interesting new ways to lose as well - McKenzie running in the wrong direction and failing to stop the clock being the latest. I love the blow outs, it's great when things click we can blast teams away. But sometimes we need to grind results out.

Injuries are the primary concern now. Offense were spent having to be on the field so much to try and help the defense. We need to be able to trust both sides of the ball and we understandably can't at the moment.

• Like (+1) 1

22 hours ago, ganesh said:

We left too many points on the field.   They came back to haunt us. 

20 points left on the field by my count.

Clock management left 2 field goals out there.

Gabe Davis dropping the TD. Settled for FG.

Missed Bass FG.

Turnover on downs on the goalline.

2 hours ago, FilthyBeast said:

This is still a soft team at it's core and that's a direct reflection on the head coach sadly.

And until this team proves they can win a close football game again these narratives will be front and center.

After going 0-5 last year and then the KC collapse these narratives have come front and center. Honestly I think even if Buffalo went 3-0 the rest of the year the narrative will only full die if they make the SB. If they win the division but can't close again playoff time it will grow louder. If they become a wild card the narrative will be farrr louder and he will have a hot seat next year from fans.

On 9/25/2022 at 4:15 PM, UKBillFan said:

Complete chokers across the board, with no clue how to play when under pressure. Offense was putrid and the play calling little better. Favourites for the Superbowl? Only if the defense is fully fit because the Offense, even with the so called predicted MVP, is not good enough.

ETA 15 minutes later - Won't delete the original post because I have to own it. But now I've calmed down slightly... still annoying. And I think I'll still have doubts about us being able to able to cope with the pressure of a one score game at the death until we win one of them.

Wow, I don’t ever remember seeing so many emojis on one post! With that being said I just came to a realization that maybe people are looking at these 1 score losses the wrong way. Either you win a game or you lose it so when the Bills do lose a game it isn’t by much because they are a very good team and they don’t get blown out and when they do win a game it is more times than not a convincing win by a large margin because of the same reason as when they lose, it’s once again because they are a very good team.

• Like (+1) 1

On 9/25/2022 at 4:15 PM, UKBillFan said:

Complete chokers across the board, with no clue how to play when under pressure. Offense was putrid and the play calling little better. Favourites for the Superbowl? Only if the defense is fully fit because the Offense, even with the so called predicted MVP, is not good enough.

ETA 15 minutes later - Won't delete the original post because I have to own it. But now I've calmed down slightly... still annoying. And I think I'll still have doubts about us being able to able to cope with the pressure of a one score game at the death until we win one of them.

Calm down UKBills just a week ago we were trashing the Titans and that was after taking the Champs to the shed and unloading a whipping on them. We just had the most miserable week injury after injury depleted our team of there depth and we still should of won in Miami by double digits. This team will bounce back once we get healthy. The only thing I want to see them do now is make a trade for an elite RB this team needs that in the worse way. 

People have short memories. You think this team lacks a winner's mentality?? Holy cow! You want to go back to the days of Dick Jauron? Check down QBs? Our best player being the punter? Please find someone to slap some sense into you.

Good teams lose games. It happens.

Edited by PromoTheRobot
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

4 hours ago, PromoTheRobot said:

People have short memories. You think this team lacks a winner's mentality?? Holy cow! You want to go back to the days of Dick Jauron? Check down QBs? Our best player being the punter? Please find someone to slap some sense into you.

Good teams lose games. It happens.

Record is 14-1 in our favour in terms of multiple score games but 0-7 when it comes to one score games. We just need to be able to get over the line more than once in eight. The 2020 season was good in this respect, so not sure why things haven't fallen in our favour.

I disregard everything I said in the opening post as an over-emotional stupid outburst except this. When it gets close, we need to get over the line more often.

6 minutes ago, UKBillFan said:

So a case of things evening themselves up after a very good start with one score games?

I mean one was a Hail Murray, Allen throwing the ball into the dirt on Sunday, 13 seconds, Allen slip on the QB sneak against TN....these are more shooting ourselves in the foot than I think mentality.  

40 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

McDermott is above .500 in his career in one score games....

We can all appreciate this stat.  But a team with a knockout punch as good as Buffalo's and a roster this stacked, Must be better than 0 for 7 or whatever it is recently.  It's hard to look at them as the Super Bowl favorites with those last 7 swings and misses.   

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, Royale with Cheese said:

I mean one was a Hail Murray, Allen throwing the ball into the dirt on Sunday, 13 seconds, Allen slip on the QB sneak against TN....these are more shooting ourselves in the foot than I think mentality.  

Actually, that's what I was wondering - are we shooting ourselves in the foot because we're getting tight, nervous, panicking slightly, trying to force things?

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.