We don't have the mentality to win close games

UKBillFan

4 hours ago, Paup 1995MVP said:

It was war out there today UK..  The S Florida heat is brutal.  We gave a great effort.  Were down our entire secondary and 4 O lineman.  And Diggs was hobbled.  Miami got several calls their way.  And Milano should have had a pick 6 and Bass missed a short FG.  Allen is a baller extraordinnaire.  Tough to lose.  But this team is so fun to watch and root for.  Get your head on straight.  Even Alabama loses once in a while.  

You put together the gist of it.  And after they think about all those things, what the Bills know is that they should have won the game.  They know that, even WITH all of those things going wrong, they still are the better team.  They'll go back to work on Tuesday, and they'll ask themselves what they need to do better and they'll devise habits or strategies that will make them better.  It's an amazing process. 

I think you could see how good the Bills were, even though they had all this stuff happening.  I mean, the only thing that the Dolphins did better than the Bills is rush the passer.  Their pressure was tough on Allen, and it created the turnover for an easy score.  Other than that, I thought the Bills were better on offense and defense, which is why the stats are so lopsided.  

Allen for sure is thinking about how to get better.   He left plays on the field, big plays, and he knows it.  He won't hang his head and make excuses because of the heat or the injuries.  He'll just learn from it and get better.  

• Like (+1) 4

5 hours ago, UKBillFan said:

Complete chokers across the board, with no clue how to play when under pressure. Offense was putrid and the play calling little better. Favourites for the Superbowl? Only if the defense is fully fit because the Offense, even with the so called predicted MVP, is not good enough.

ETA 15 minutes later - Won't delete the original post because I have to own it. But now I've calmed down slightly... still annoying. And I think I'll still have doubts about us being able to able to cope with the pressure of a one score game at the death until we win one of them.

So called predicted MVP? These hot takes are a bit silly. 

Lol, you weren't born a Bills fan I'm guessing. Also username seems to check that out.

5 minutes ago, Airseven said:

Every team has injuries. They’re not an excuse or justification. Bottom line is the Bills had that game but couldn’t execute in the clutch just like other recent, painful losses. The takeaway isn’t injuries, it’s that Bills lost in very billsy fashion and it continues to be a problem.

Every team has injuries, but you won't find another game where one team was missing its entire starting secondary. And that was just the beginning of our injury list going into the game, in addition to the players who went out during the game. These were extreme circumstances. 

• Like (+1) 1

McDermott and co. need to figure out a way to win these tight games. That should be his #1 priority.  Being able to win by double digits as often as they do is great, but come playoffs it’s coming down to the last couple of possessions.  You know it is.

1 hour ago, UKBillFan said:

I’d rather us have a better record than 0-7 in one score games from the start of 2021.

Then I suggest you stick to futball 

It could be that you are not being mentally tough to accept the losses. 

It’s a trash argument. 

Edited by SlimShady'sSpaceForce

19 minutes ago, zow2 said:

McDermott and co. need to figure out a way to win these tight games. That should be his #1 priority.  Being able to win by double digits as often as they do is great, but come playoffs it’s coming down to the last couple of possessions.  You know it is.

JMO but I hope McDermott and co.'s #1 priority is to get back to the offensive and defensive dominance we saw in the first two games. No easy task given the injuries. 

1 hour ago, Airseven said:

Every team has injuries. They’re not an excuse or justification. Bottom line is the Bills had that game but couldn’t execute in the clutch just like other recent, painful losses. The takeaway isn’t injuries, it’s that Bills lost in very billsy fashion and it continues to be a problem.

Every team has injuries we had over 20 people injured today either before the game or during the game

Nothing like a loss to bring out the poopy takes. They're fine. The close losses are kind of an anomaly, just a strange coincidence. 

They were down five starters on defense and then lost a couple more guys during the game. Then the OL was playing backups of backups and the receiver group was about to keel over. And also injured. All that and they still nearly pulled it off. Lost by two points. They weren't dominated, they weren't out-coached or out-played. Phins had two decent drives and Tua hit Waddle for that long one and that was it. Can't ask much more from your defense in that situation. Missed opportunities, an inch this way or that way and it's a different game. Thems just the breaks sometimes. So disappointing to see such seriously negative takes. This is an incredible team and they deserve the benefit of the doubt on this one. I'm not gonna be down on them for this L. They aren't gonna win 'em all and anytime they don't win one we don't need 400 new threads nitpicking every little thing. The expectations of some fans are absurd. 

Edited by blacklabel
  • Like (+1) 1

24 minutes ago, John from Riverside said:

Every team has injuries we had over 20 people injured today either before the game or during the game

Right? Yeah guys every team plays while missing their entire secondary and multiple starting offensive and defensive lineman, and those teams find a way to win on the road...

They had victory in their hands multiple times and didn't close, this is true. But it's also true that if they were healthy it wouldn't have been  as close against that team today. Let's not conveniently overlook this and dismiss half a dozen missing starters with more bodies piling up during the game as a simple excuse.

7 hours ago, UKBillFan said:

Complete chokers across the board, with no clue how to play when under pressure. Offense was putrid and the play calling little better. Favourites for the Superbowl? Only if the defense is fully fit because the Offense, even with the so called predicted MVP, is not good enough.

ETA 15 minutes later - Won't delete the original post because I have to own it. But now I've calmed down slightly... still annoying. And I think I'll still have doubts about us being able to able to cope with the pressure of a one score game at the death until we win one of them.

at least you came around after 15 minutes.  

24 minutes ago, Nelius said:

Right? Yeah guys every team plays while missing their entire secondary and multiple starting offensive and defensive lineman, and those teams find a way to win on the road...

They had victory in their hands multiple times and didn't close, this is true. But it's also true that if they were healthy it wouldn't have been  as close against that team today. Let's not conveniently overlook this and dismiss half a dozen missing starters with more bodies piling up during the game as a simple excuse.

Don't forget, it was close on the scoreboard, but nowhere NEAR close in the stat line.

We were unusually inefficient at converting raw offense into points, that's the only reason the scoreboard was as close as it was.

If we were fully healthy, it's fair to assume a different outcome.

I realize the scoreboard is what counts, but this game was not nearly as close as the score suggests.

2 hours ago, Shaw66 said:

You put together the gist of it.  And after they think about all those things, what the Bills know is that they should have won the game.  They know that, even WITH all of those things going wrong, they still are the better team.  They'll go back to work on Tuesday, and they'll ask themselves what they need to do better and they'll devise habits or strategies that will make them better.  It's an amazing process. 

I think you could see how good the Bills were, even though they had all this stuff happening.  I mean, the only thing that the Dolphins did better than the Bills is rush the passer.  Their pressure was tough on Allen, and it created the turnover for an easy score.  Other than that, I thought the Bills were better on offense and defense, which is why the stats are so lopsided.  

Allen for sure is thinking about how to get better.   He left plays on the field, big plays, and he knows it.  He won't hang his head and make excuses because of the heat or the injuries.  He'll just learn from it and get better.  

This is a huge win for Miami. They could careless about all the Bills injuries. They beat the big bad Bills! That's the message the coaches will sell and the players will believe. New regime and this win and the Balt win are cultural changes. Imho, they are still a ways away from being a serious contender. They are learning how to win and beat good teams. Miami took what the Bills gave them. The Bills have them that game but they just don't know it yet. 

4 minutes ago, newcam2012 said:

This is a huge win for Miami. They could careless about all the Bills injuries. They beat the big bad Bills! That's the message the coaches will sell and the players will believe. New regime and this win and the Balt win are cultural changes. Imho, they are still a ways away from being a serious contender. They are learning how to win and beat good teams. Miami took what the Bills gave them. The Bills have them that game but they just don't know it yet. 

I really don't care what Miami thinks of it.  They may think it's huge, but the Bills don't consider it a huge loss.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

6 hours ago, MPT said:

Well what if we only won half of those games by fewer points? Then we have 7 wins in blowouts, 7 wins in close games, and 7 losses in close games. Everybody is happy.

Right, got you. So 0-7 in close score games is more than acceptable.

6 hours ago, Kaenon said:

So called predicted MVP? These hot takes are a bit silly. 

Lol, you weren't born a Bills fan I'm guessing. Also username seems to check that out.

No, only got hooked into NFL and the Bills in 2020. Maybe that's part of the issue - haven't lived through the bad times.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.