Tua clears Concussion Protocol in 30 minutes.....

Inigo Montoya

I can only speak personally, but I’ve had a few concussions.  2 with permanent memory loss.

the first one I was knocked out for maybe a minute, then totally fine.  I wasn’t cloudy or fuzzy until the next day, so I went back in the game. This was in HS

the 2nd I have no memory for maybe 30-45 minutes.  I was knocked out but not cold.  I remember running off the field but not getting off the field.  I must not have said anything because a few minutes later I went back into the game and played 100% blackout.  At some point someone must have realized I was messed and they took my helmet and stuck me on the bench, where I came to.  Since this was college sports I had taken a “base line” test prior to the season starting.  I was given that test Monday and Tuesday and passed and was allowed to return to practice.  Had I been given that test on the sideline, after coming to, I probably would have passed right then and there.

so basically a lot of your concussion issues kinda go away immediately.  Sometimes.  

1 minute ago, peterpan said:

I can only speak personally, but I’ve had a few concussions.  2 with permanent memory loss.

the first one I was knocked out for maybe a minute, then totally fine.  I wasn’t cloudy or fuzzy until the next day, so I went back in the game. This was in HS

the 2nd I have no memory for maybe 30-45 minutes.  I was knocked out but not cold.  I remember running off the field but not getting off the field.  I must not have said anything because a few minutes later I went back into the game and played 100% blackout.  At some point someone must have realized I was messed and they took my helmet and stuck me on the bench, where I came to.  Since this was college sports I had taken a “base line” test prior to the season starting.  I was given that test Monday and Tuesday and passed and was allowed to return to practice.  Had I been given that test on the sideline, after coming to, I probably would have passed right then and there.

so basically a lot of your concussion issues kinda go away immediately.  Sometimes.  

But that's why the NFL is (supposed to be) conservative on potential concussions.

concussion protocol I thought was assessed by Physicians who act under a hippocratic oath. Right? If tua passed he passed Im shocked

If we cant trust the Dr's then I agree the NFL is wack .......health not being an NFL  focus.  it's Money. are you shocked? lol

smh

Edited by muppy

1 hour ago, zevo said:

this is weak sauce to be mad that tua came back in. we had multiple chances to win. we lost.

This thread was started right after the 2nd half began.  Not after we lost.  It's not weak sauce, it's a flagrant violation of the NFL concussion policy and Tua shouldn't have sniffed the field again today.  Expect hefty fines to everyone involved in deciding to put Tua back out there.   Any physician involved in the decision should get a letter from their medical board of licensure.  OKing Tua to go back out there was clear cut malpractice.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

32 minutes ago, Livinginthepast said:

They have an independent NFL doctor to evaluate, what did that doctor say?   I understand that Miami doctors are bias but how in the hell can an independent doc ignore the wooziness  and wobbly legs after he got up? The old announcers from yesteryear would have said he had got his "bell rung"!

One of the reasons to implement a "concussion protocol" in the first place was to end the past practice of playing players in the same game in which they were knocked woozy or had their bell rung as you say.

When this topic is discussed, people almost laugh at the insanity of the old school practice of playing a player in a game after he has been whacked on the head hard enough for him to not know where he was for a moment.

But that is exactly what happened today.

If this had been a boxing match, Buffalo would have been awarded a 2 point round for a knockdown, and Tua would have had to stand and be alert by the time the ref counts 8.

I don't think he would have passed that test, and yet he was playing again after a short halftime break.

To me, that's insane, and I can't believe it doesn't de facto violate a black and white rule governing this stuff.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

44 minutes ago, Malazan said:

What does it normally take to clear the protocol? Outside of one play it wasn't like he was lighting it up out there..

The protocol requires you to pass certain cognitive function tests and doctor should have immediately checked his eyes when he hit the sideline. If the doctor waited to do the physical inspection upon reaching locker room he knew he was not doing properly 

2 minutes ago, KHAN said:

"...and Tua himself afterward, blamed the instability on a back injury that had not been previously disclosed by the team."

Isn't this, in and of itself, a violation?

• Agree 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.