NFL Week #3 - Bills at the Dolphins - Post game thread

BuffaloBill

33 minutes ago, DCbillsfan said:

IIRC Eric Wood said it was 112 degrees on the field today.  I'm not making it an excuse but that's a home field advantage that's unrivaled in the NFL.  

It is an excuse because Miami had to play in it too.  If the Bills were not properly preparing and pumping fluids all week, that's on them.  We've played in Miami when it's been hot like this before.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Disagree 1

1 minute ago, Rick 'r Mortis said:

I'd definitely like to know the difference in humidity between Miami today and Tampa.

I'll let you know how humidity is in Miami tomorrow, because I think (?) that it's the same as today.  Headed there for a work event tomorrow.  I guess there's some kind of hurricane approaching as well.

1 hour ago, wjag said:

The After Blow

1. Tua made the throws when he had to.  Waddle got behind the secondary one time and it was the difference in the game.

Matt Milano dropped a potential pick six, and it was the difference in the game.

Miami had the advantage of sitting in the shade on the sideline while Buffalo cooked in the hot sun, and it was the difference in the game.

Buffalo played the whole game with 4 backups in the defensive backfield, and it was the difference in the game.

A fumbled exchange from backup center Van Roten halted a long potential scoring drive when even a field goal changes the outcome, and it was the difference in the game.  

My point is a whole bunch of things went wrong in this game, and only one of them going right may have changed the outcome.  Such is life in the NFL.

24 minutes ago, Billz4ever said:

It is an excuse because Miami had to play in it too.  If the Bills were not properly preparing and pumping fluids all week, that's on them.  We've played in Miami when it's been hot like this before.

My point is Miami practices in that heat all training camp and preseason and the Bills don't.  It's that plain and simple.  It's a lot more than just staying hydrated.

Here's a real weather example.  Back in college went to Disney World around New Years.  It was in the low 40s.  My brother and I were running around in t shirts and shorts.  The native Floridians were wearing winter coats and hats and freezing their asses off.  True story

Edited by DCbillsfan

13 minutes ago, RunTheBall said:

The lack of a competent running game is the single most important issue to fix. Even we can’t be one dimensional and go far in the playoffs

That and it's going to lead to Josh getting hurt.  We need to be realistic here.  It's eventually going to happen because of being 1 dimensional.  Whether is on a run or just scrambling out of the pocket to extend the play.  This is a play style that is not sustainable in the long term.

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, mannc said:

Miami’s offense (and Bills’ defense) wasn’t the problem today…

The offensive line was surely a problem today. Injuries sure played a role in the offensive line struggling today. So saying green bay isn't struggling in the heat can also go the other way. Tampa Tom is struggling due to a mass amount of injuries. 

7 minutes ago, Billz4ever said:

I’ve seen this a few times now but isn’t it common knowledge that the Fish’s stadium is designed so that the visitors bear the brunt of the sun? I can personally think of about 10 other reasons why we lost today before getting to the heat, but I don’t think it’s an equal situation for both teams.

• Like (+1) 1

38 minutes ago, Luka said:

Players could not execute today. Nothing to do with coaching. We had multiple, multiple opportunities to win this game. Milano drops a pick 6, Gabe Davis drops a TD, Allen skips a pass to a wide open McKenzie which would've been a TD, Bass misses a field goal... that's 24 points right there. And if that's not enough McKenzie for some reason decides to stay in bounds with no time outs left which would've set up a game winning field goal chance. 

Not sure how all that equates to "coaching." 

Rushing only 3 on a 3rd and 22 against a decimated secondary is definitely a coaching mistake in my view and also in my view, was the play of the game.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Just now, Billz4ever said:

Rushing only 3 on a 3rd and 22 against a decimated secondary is definitely a coaching mistake in my view and also in my view, was the play of the game.

So not the 24 points we don't score... but one 3rd and 22... which by the way, we also completed a similar 3rd down conversion and the Phins seemed to recover...

1 minute ago, Luka said:

So not the 24 points we don't score... but one 3rd and 22... which by the way, we also completed a similar 3rd down conversion and the Phins seemed to recover...

That was a 40+ yard gain that put them in scoring position because instead of bringing heat to take the pressure off a decimated secondary, we allow them to complete a bomb with 8 men in coverage.  Clear coaching mistake. If Jackson, Poyer and Hyde are back there, you can probably get away with that.  With what we have now, not so much and the coaches need to recognize that.

• Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Billz4ever said:

This was the key thing that irritated me today, besides the awful red zone calls at the end. Playing prevent when we just needed to rush Tua into another bad throw. Silly strategy on a day where our defense was deserving and our offense put up 500 yards. 

• Agree 1

1 minute ago, Locomark said:

This was the key thing that irritated me today, besides the awful red zone calls at the end. Playing prevent when we just needed to rush Tua into another bad throw. Silly strategy on a day where our defense was deserving and our offense put up 500 yards. 

Plus it shows little growth and nothing learned from similar mistakes made last year when it mattered most. Highly disappointing!

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

No Micah Hyde

No Jordan Poyer

No Tre’Davious White

No Dane Jackson

No Jordan Phillips

No Ed Oliver

Limited Stefon Diggs 

Limited Isaiah McKenzie

Limited Dawson Knox

Limited Gabe Davis

No Mitch Morse

No Spencer Brown

No Ryan Bates

No Greg Van Roten

100 degrees on the field

Bobbled snap before the half

Misfire from Allen to McKenzie late

Davis dropped the TD

Milano dropped the pick-six

• Sad 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.