NFL Week #3 - Bills at the Dolphins - Post game thread

BuffaloBill

10 minutes ago, 716er said:

Was this the Bills first ever sunny game in Miami? 

Absurd they were not prepared with the appropriate tents etc for shade.

They definitely needed more shade structures on their sidelines. Acclimation to the heat was a problem. Was this the hottest game they have played in?

6 minutes ago, Mango said:

I think you are basically allowed what the other team has. So I know they made mention of Buffalo bringing cooling benches. But if Miami doesn’t use them on our sideline, the way I understand it is we cannot use them on ours. Same with fans, etc. 

I believe the canopies are allowed because of the shade vs. no shade on either side.

I could be wrong, I’m just going off of what a buddy of mine who is a Dolphins fan told me. 

Within 10-15 years if temps keep rising at similar rates, Miami will end up having to postpone games due to heat or risk players literally dying on the field due to wet bulb temperatures being too high.

Wet bulb is a combination of heat and humidity together and when it becomes too high simply being outside can result in death after a short period of time as the body cannot cool itself faster than it is overheating. This is starting to become more common and within 10-15 years is expected to be a regular occurrence in some places.

Eric Woods was reporting the on field temperature was 112, humidity was 70% as reported meaning the wet bulb temperature was around 103. Anything over 95 is considered very dangerous.

I'm not sure people realize how close this game was to literally being a potential life and death situation for some players.

Unfortunately it will likely take a player dying on the field for the NFL to act.

Edited by Big Turk
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 2

1 hour ago, UKBillFan said:

Interesting how teams can beat us thanks to extreme weather, when they have the same conditions.

Was the other team also without almost their entire starting secodary, 2 of their top performing interior dlinemen, starting center, backup center, hobbled starting #2 receiver. backup to hobbled starting#2 receiver, all of their oline minus the LT.  Did the other team sit in the sun all game or did they have a nice shade... yes that shade makes a huge difference.

Our team fielded a preseason roster.  We lost by 2 points.  Get over it.

Edited by Scott7975

1 hour ago, Beast said:

We can do this as many times as you wish. We have no RB that can get a yard on a consistent basis in short yardage situations regardless of our blocking.

How many times do you think Henry has been stopped on 3rd or 4th and short? 10 of the time?  Using one week as an example is ridiculous when talking about a power back.

And I'm saying no RB can run with tacklers all over him when he gets the handoff. That's our problem. Guys are getting hit as they get the ball. That's blocking. Block better and all of a sudden our run game looks "physical."

24 minutes ago, thewookie1 said:

While not the "reason" for the loss; I feel the refs were very one sided in their calls. On the last drive alone they didn't call an easy PI on Gabe's 2nd drop yet call the hold on our backup RT. 

2 "late" hits were called completely different way depending on the team

Lastly the league should seriously penalize the Dolphins for letting Tua play.

Yeah, im not blaming the refs for this loss but they were definitely one sided today.  No call on Knox, yet they called it on us for less egregious.  I was pissed about that.

2 minutes ago, Buffalo619 said:

Hearing rumors Josh Allen just went into the X-ray room after the game. Right hand…

I heard he got xrays hours ago. I also heard afterwards McD said his hand was fine.  Heard both second hand in the thread somewhere.

Edited by Scott7975

57 minutes ago, Scott7975 said:

Was the other team also without almost their entire starting secodary, 2 of their top performing interior dlinemen, starting center, backup center, hobbled starting #2 receiver. backup to hobbled starting#2 receiver, all of their oline minus the LT.  Did the other team sit in the sun all game or did they have a nice shade... yes that shade makes a huge difference.

Our team fielded a preseason roster.  We lost by 2 points.  Get over it.

The Miami sideline can be 30 degrees cooler than the visitors sideline. Some said above that Eric Wood reported 112 on field. That means the Miami sideline is a shady 82. 

I would certainly put injuries at the top of the list of reasons we lost. But this game is the exact reason the Hard Rock is built like it is.  

• Like (+1) 1

The weather affected the Bills obviously.  But i think there’s been too much complaining on social media and this message board about it.  We’ve played in Miami for many years including Hard Rock, and won more than our share. Was Miami supposed to order cloud cover today? we’re they supposed to put up shade tents for Buffalo?   I get it, we lost and had a ton of guys cramp up and feel overheated. I think having the ball on offense for 90 plays was a serious issue. Blame Josh for ball controlling that much i guess. 

No one complains here when our weather helps the Bills win at home.

• Like (+1) 3

1 hour ago, BillsfaninSB said:

All Miami games should be at night in September and Maybe October.  It’s the new normal.

Not sure why the NFL puts the Pats and Bills down there in September. 

Miami has to play in the cold and snow in the Northeast in December. Home field advantage in both cases.

44 minutes ago, zow2 said:

The weather affected the Bills obviously.  But i think there’s been too much complaining on social media and this message board about it.  We’ve played in Miami for many years including Hard Rock, and won more than our share. Was Miami supposed to order cloud cover today? we’re they supposed to put up shade tents for Buffalo?   I get it, we lost and had a ton of guys cramp up and feel overheated. I think having the ball on offense for 90 plays was a serious issue. Blame Josh for ball controlling that much i guess. 

No one complains here when our weather helps the Bills win at home.

I have to disagree. 

The weather has come up because it was such a huge factor. Was listening to an interview with a camera man after the game and he said the temp on the field was 124 degrees and no meaningful shade for the Bills on the sideline. We had guys getting multiple IV's during the game. I have never seen heat impact a game that much in my many years watching the sport - blizzards, wind storms, torrential rains and sub-zero cold yes, but not this.

Just like the wind storm that created a weird run-only game with NE last year, they are talked about because how much those kind of games are anomalies. Those games are not good predictors of how future contests between those same teams will play out under more normal conditions.

The heat is no joke though, and the NFL could do better for player safety by scheduling those games for later in the evening or have Miami play in Buffalo, NE, NJ early in the season and get home field for the second half of the year. Just my opinion.

Edited by WideNine
  • Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.