NFL Week #3 - Bills at the Dolphins - Post game thread

BuffaloBill

3 minutes ago, Boyst62 said:

The concern in these losses is how everyone has all the other excuses and they're valid 

The heat, the injuries, the concussion on Tua... 

one of the most exciting Games I have watched in awhile

hell of a chess match. But the ending was wild

never turn off the Game when Josh is playing
Go Bills

helluva game !

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, DCbillsfan said:

IIRC Eric Wood said it was 112 degrees on the field today.  I'm not making it an excuse but that's a home field advantage that's unrivaled in the NFL.  

I would disagree. You know what you’re getting into going there every year. 60+ pass attempts it’s not a big surprise your receivers can’t run anymore in the 4th quarter. 
Especially when there’s only 4 of them after Kumerow is hurt. 
They lost this game. Weather is weather everyone has to deal with it. Their defense was on the field all day in the heat as well. 

28 minutes ago, Coach Tuesday said:

I am not sure - as @BADOLBILZ and others have pointed out, losing 8 close games in a row is not random.  It’s a mentality.  McD may lack that killer instinct or just have a poor overall feel for game flow - he takes his foot off the gas at the craziest moments.  Not just 13 seconds, this has happened repeatedly.  Case in point today, the Bills force a punt at a key moment early in the game and then rather than go for the jugular, they call timeout before the punt, then call two Moss runs for zero yards and get a play in late resulting in a fumble.  You KNOW the decision to run up the middle twice was all McD - he probably thought he’d “reward” his defense for getting the stop by buying them some rest with clock-eating nonsense.  We saw that crap with Frank Gore in 2017.  That was the time to press and instead we gifted the Dolphins a score.

McDermott is a fantastic program builder but that may just be his ceiling.  It’s the same in business, there are CEOs who specialize in turning around failing companies and they’re almost always parachuted out once the business has stabilized, and replaced with a visionary who can get the company to the next level.  If the Bills fall short in ‘22 and ‘23 (meaning anything less than a Lombardi) then it is time to cut bait.  Squandering Josh Allen’s prime years would be a war crime.

Could be onto something.

Or it could be correlation does not necessarily mean causation. Not dismissing it.

Losing close games where you are behind is a different animal than losing close games where you are ahead. Both do require excellent clock management to pull out a win.

Not sure how we go for the jugular on this one with both Diggs and Davis hobbled, but I do feel there is a play it safe mentality that sets in when we have an edge that often backfires.

I try to balance that out with how many times McD now goes for it on 4th down. The early McD would never have done that.

Too many injuries and injured players playing for me to assess this game. The only coaching decision I hated was the 3rd and 22 call that sent 3 after our d-line was dominating the LOS. Allowed Tua all day to look for Hill or Waddle.

The analytics show when Tua has time he becomes pretty darn accurate. Bad way to play the odds.

Edited by WideNine
  • Like (+1) 2

5 minutes ago, Aussie Joe said:

They copped a flogging in the Colts game last year... it was their worst performance of the season,,,

It was terrible.  And the Patriots Monday night game was pretty bad too.  It amazes me how this team can look like World beaters one week and then have real clunkers.

• Thank you (+1) 1

Players could not execute today. Nothing to do with coaching. We had multiple, multiple opportunities to win this game. Milano drops a pick 6, Gabe Davis drops a TD, Allen skips a pass to a wide open McKenzie which would've been a TD, Bass misses a field goal... that's 24 points right there. And if that's not enough McKenzie for some reason decides to stay in bounds with no time outs left which would've set up a game winning field goal chance. 

Not sure how all that equates to "coaching." 

• Agree 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 2

Just now, Rc2catch said:

I would disagree. You know what you’re getting into going there every year. 60+ pass attempts it’s not a big surprise your receivers can’t run anymore in the 4th quarter. 
They lost this game. Weather is weather everyone has to deal with it. Their defense was on the field all day in the heat as well. 

Just to point out as the announcers did
The Home Team gets all the sideline shade and the Away team gets full on sun all game , by design of the stadium addition they did. Its an advantage.

47 minutes ago, LabattBlue said:

2nd game in a row that Josh has tossed a ball into the ground on a simple short pass to the sideline.  Let’s hope this trend doesn’t continue. 

They were looking at his hand on the sideline, but it looked to me like the toe on his lead foot got stuck in the turf as he tried to step into the throw causing it to go into the dirt.

2 minutes ago, Rc2catch said:

They live and practice it in all the time...big difference. The body cannot adjust to that in one day.

7 minutes ago, nedboy7 said:

They got to 3-0 somehow.  Keep underestimating them......

So there 3-0 in a 17 game season. Congrats to them for squeaking out a win today. But let's be honest here, if it take all the injuries and mental mistakes by the Bills for them to win only by 2 points I'd feel very iffy about how good my team actually is.

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, RunTheBall said:

Honest question, what specifically about the coaching did you think was in error? What game day decisions led to the loss?

The loss sucks but doesn’t really bother me too much. My biggest concern is the complete lack of running game. 2nd and goal from the 2 should be an automatic TD. Having Josh in the shotgun is f’in stupid down there. Even though the 4th down play was there, you shouldn’t need to pass. If we don’t develop some semblance of a running game this team is not going all the way, period. 

3rd and 22, 3-man rush.  How do you allow a deep ball that wide open with 8 in coverage?  That was the time to bring pressure.  If your secondary is decimated, you don't give the opposing QB time to find the holes.  

That was the play of the game in my view.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, DCbillsfan said:

It was terrible.  And the Patriots Monday night game was pretty bad too.  It amazes me how this team can look like World beaters one week and then have real clunkers.

Hard to call todays stat sheet a clunker. The Bills and Josh failed to close but they controlled this football game. This loss is definitely  on the offense but it wasn’t a clunker on that side of the ball. 

1 hour ago, LabattBlue said:

4 plays that would have made a difference…

1 - clock runs out at end of half; no FG attempt

2 - clock runs out at end of game; no FG attempt

3 - Milano dropped what would have been a sure pick 6

4 - Bass shank

Not to mention allowing a deep completion on 3rd and 22 because you decided to only rush 3 and allow Tua to find the hole in our depleted secondary.

6 minutes ago, Rc2catch said:

Weather is not weather when you're talking that kind of heat and humidity.  Your body actually adjusts to those conditions.  Losing fluids to a point where you are cramping up and can't breathe is terrible.  It just sucks.  I live here in DC and deal with that crap in July and August.  I'm guessing you don't live in heat.

5 minutes ago, Boatdrinks said:

Hard to call todays stat sheet a clunker. The Bills and Josh failed to close but they controlled this football game. This loss is definitely  on the offense but it wasn’t a clunker on that side of the ball. 

I was referring to last year's losses.  Today was frustrating though.

• Like (+1) 2

1 minute ago, BillzFreak said:

So there 3-0 in a 17 game season. Congrats to them for squeaking out a win today. But let's be honest here, if it take all the injuries and mental mistakes by the Bills for them to win only by 2 points I'd feel very iffy about how good my team actually is.

I feel good about their talent and ability to be in every game, but make no mistake this was a blown opportunity that could haunt the Bills come playoff time. The Super Bowl is the only thing that matters for this group anymore and their chances took a hit today. 

37 minutes ago, HalftimeAdjustment said:

We basically managed to lose this game on offense. I think we would have won it if we had a better running game, or if Mitch Morse had played. Late in the game Josh was pressing and maybe fatigued. He missed throws that he just did not miss early in the game. No wonder, with the heat and the not great OL play, he looked tired. The good thing is, very few games will be played in those conditions. And, we still had several chances to win... if we can do just a little better we'll be fine.

Offense ran 90 plays. 90. Yeah, I’d say Josh was fatigued. 

Which is why I’m taking the Bengals on Thursday night. Dolphins D was also out there for 90 plays in that heat. And on a three day week, I just don’t think that’s enough time to recover adequately.

Edited by K-9
  • Like (+1) 3

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.